Nintendo Download: 1st August (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Fiendish Wii U platforming, retro farming, loads of discounts and more

So the Nintendo Download update has been a little later than normal this week for Europe, possibly due to the sudden delay of Flipnote Studio 3D. Nevertheless, there are a few new titles to consider as well as a lot of discounts, so without further ado let's get right to it.

Wii U eShop

Cloudberry Kingdom (Ubisoft, €9.99 / £7.99) — Developed by small developer Pwnee Studios, this began life as a crowdfunded game on Kickstarter before Ubisoft was suitably impressed to step in and publish. It's a platformer that can randomly generate stages, and features an Arcade mode to cover a range of difficulties, right up to levels that look positively impossible for all but the most skilled players out there. With online leaderboards, a level builder and lots of running and jumping, we'll see whether this mixes it with the best on the Wii U eShop in our upcoming review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Harvest Moon (MarvelousAQL, €7.99 / £5.49) — Though the series has recently returned to life on the 3DS Virtual Console, this Super NES version is where the series began. This simulation RPG tasks you with managing and improving your farm, which requires plenty of effort and attentive care. Despite a premise that some may consider to be dull, it's a series that's delivered to a loyal fan-base for many years, all based on this 16-bit template. We'll work the land on the Wii U, but until then you can check out our Wii Virtual Console Harvest Moon review.

Wii U Retail Download

Turbo: Super Stunt Squad (NAMCO BANDAI Games, €44.99 / £39.99)

Wii U eShop Temporary Discount

Nano Assault Neo (Shin'en Multimedia, €6.99 / £6.29 until 15th August, normally €9.99 / £8.99)

Wii U eShop Permanent Discount

Funky Barn (Tantalus, €14.99 / £14.99, was €32.75 / £27.55)

3DS eShop

10-in-1: Arcade Collection (Gamelion, €1.99 / £1.79) — It's safe to say that any release offering lots of games in one package causes some hesitation, but that doesn't mean they can't be fun. This particular collection is focused on retro games, with retro 8-bit art and sound to accompany some old-school high score chasing. We'll dig out our rose-tinted specs and see how these "new old" games stand up.

3DS Retail Download

Turbo: Super Stunt Squad (NAMCO BANDAI Games, €39.99 / £34.99)

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Nano Assault EX (Shin'en Multimedia, €9.99 / £8.74 until 15th August, normally €14.99 / £12.49)

Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH! (Shin'en Multimedia, €3.49 / £3.14 until 15th August, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

Art of Balance TOUCH! (Shin'en Multimedia, €4.89 / £4.40 until 15th August, normally €6.99 / £6.29)

New Art Academy additional lessons DLC (Nintendo, €0.99 / £0.89 until 11th August, normally €1.99 / £1.79)

3D Game Collection (Joindots, €9.79 / £8.39 until 21st August, normally €13.99 / £11.99)

Gardenscapes (Joindots, €10.79 / £10.49 until 21st August, normally €14.99 / £14.99)

Murder on the Titanic (Joindots, €10.79 / £10.49 until 21st August, normally €14.99 / £14.99)

Plenty of discounts and a new Wii U eShop title stand out this week, but let us know what you'll be picking up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (184 votes)

Cloudberry Kingdom (Wii U eShop)

22%

Harvest Moon (Wii U Virtual Console)

Turbo: Super Stunt Squad (Wii U Retail Download)

Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Funky Barn (Wii U eShop permanent discount)

10-in-1: Arcade Collection (3DS eShop)

Turbo: Super Stunt Squad (3DS Retail Download)

Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH! (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Art of Balance TOUCH! (3DS eShop temporary discount)

New Art Academy Additional Lessons DLC (3DS eShop temporary discount)

3D Game Collection (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Murder on the Titanic (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Nothing for me this week

49%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Shin'en keeps discounting their games, first in NA, now Europe, seems to me like they are struggling for sales a bit.

DavidH

DavidH said:

@Prof_Quackton

Don't knock it, they do put out some quality stuff, heck I even enjoyed their golf game - though realise I may have been the only one....

Humphries90

Humphries90 said:

Hmm... pretty disappointing, still no 3D Sega Classics. :-(

Still, I'll probably pick up Nano Assault EX now it's discounted.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I'm intrigued by Cloudberry Kingdom, but truth be told the random level generator puts me off. I love well-designed platforming stages full of tricky sections and hidden secrets (see: Donkey Kong Country), but I feel that level of stagecrafting just isn't possible when everything is random. Might still give it a go, but I guess I'll wait for the reviews to come in first.

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

Might get Harvest Moon sometime down the line, but for now I'm still working through Kirby's Dream Land 3 and my copy of Pikmin 3 just arrived, so I'm good :)

Mok

Mok said:

I'm still busy playing Animal Crossing, don't need to purchase anything from the e-shop for a good long while. As soon as the new Zelda is out, however, I shall throw myself over it like a pack of hungry Tory MPs in parliament.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Nope. Nothin' for me, I guess. But when Flipnote makes it here... oh, yes, I'm gonna download the [expletive very deleted] out of it!

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Never played Harvest Moon but have heard lots of good thungs about it over the years, inckuding when it launched.. Might pick it up.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

Why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why is there STILL no Cave Story+ for PAL Nintendo/Nicalis?

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

STILL no news on Sega's 3D classics on 3DS!!!! I'm dying to spend my money on Shinobi III!

ToniK

ToniK said:

I could use some help with my decision about Nano Assault. For Wii U or 3DS? I would prefer the Wii U version since I'm low on games but is it worth it?

Tysamu

Tysamu said:

I honestly would like to get my hands on this Cloudberry Kingdom because of the difficulty lvl and randomly generated lvls.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Not a thing for me, I already own most of Shinens games anyway. I'll keep an eye on 10-in-1: Arcade Collection but, other than that, a pretty terrible week.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

Lots there, nothing to really get excited about. Cloudberry perhaps, but it has been hyped as a stupidly hard game. I do prefer the easier games.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

Cloudberry looks like great. Nano Assault Neo is a fun little game, definitely worth supporting.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Cloudberry Kingdom is less about skill and more about complete level memorisation; since the screen is usually filled with stuff, and figuring out where to jump makes it more of a puzzle game than a Platformer in extreme difficulty. Definitely not picking that one up.

Grubdog

Grubdog said:

@ToniK absolutely the Wii U version. It has less content but it's far more refined and impressive, a lot more fun and has a better survival mode. I've put 30 hours into it, 7 hours into the 3DS one. The 3DS one has some fantastic one-time bosses, but not as much re-playability

element187

element187 said:

Did you guys forget to add Pikmin 3 to the list? or is this list only for Europe?

Nice to see the idiots at 505 realize that Funky Barn is the equivalent of an eshop game and lowered it to the price it needed to be at in the beginning.... I still can't believe they sold that game for $60 back in November.

Boxmonkey

Boxmonkey said:

Every week I hope for super mario kart, or anything from the N64. I wonder if we will have any N64 games in time for the wii u's first birthday?

gaby_gabito

gaby_gabito said:

Nano Assault Neo is a great game. I wish it were on discount when I got it near the the launch of Wii U.

Metalslime

Metalslime said:

Nano Assault 3DS for me this week, shocking that there's only 1 VC release between the WII U, WII & 3DS! Get a grip Nintendo.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Not a Harvest Moon fan, and Cloudberry Kingdom's randomly generated levels has put me off. Unless I go back and buy Kirby's Dream Land 3, it'll be nothing for me this week.

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

Well, one can really be satisfied with the WiiU eShop in the past couple of weeks. Harvest Moon in especial is a great release, but I have it on my Wii VC already. If only this time they'd release Harvest Moon 64... Imo the best entry in the series, but I could always only play it on an emulator, as it wasn't released in Europe.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

I can't wait for Cloudberry Kingdom to finally come out! I'm also gonna pick up Earthbound while I'm at it.

brucelebnd

brucelebnd said:

Funky Barn is a good game, it's fun and addictive. for the price I think it's a good pick up.

brucelebnd

brucelebnd said:

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Because one just can´t say this enough: where are N64 games? :D Bring those to eShop already.

Finntendo

Finntendo said:

@element187
I agree with Funky Barn. Old game yet they ask full price? I bought it for 3DS just because I got it for 9€ and that's pretty much I was willing to pay.

But nothing for me this week.

stipey

stipey said:

Oh man, I don't know if I can pick up that Harvest Moon game. The hours I spent as a kid trying to woo Nina (unsuccessfully, I might add)... It gets pretty tedious going through the daily chores if I remember rightly.

JustinH

JustinH said:

Cloudberry Kingdom is a definite, second-it-hits-the-eShop purchase for me. I'm totally hyped.

If Harvest Moon drops on Thursday for North America, I'll definitely get it, although I got it on Wii so that's just a $1.50 purchase and sort of a no-doubter anyway.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Cloudberry Kingdom has different difficulty levels to adjust all kind of players. Here is a link to a Nintendo Life article that proves it

"We actually have a huge range of difficulties, we just like to show off the hardest in the trailers because it looks cool ... We have had 5 year old children easily dispatch our easier levels, and we've had grown men throwing tantrums at some of our hardest."

SuperMalleo

SuperMalleo said:

Where the heck are the GOOD Virtual Console games like Super Mario Bros. 3? I contacted Nintendo a bunch of times about the problem, but they refuse to to talk about it. One employee said "We can't confirm that it's coming durr hurr" just to make excuses. Slackers.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

@Rockman_Onion Just how easy do you think it is to get these games running? Maybe they should've focused their efforts on getting the sure-selling games like Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda out sooner, but you can't click your fingers and expect it to be finished. It's a small team with a lot of extra work to do.

ReaperX30

ReaperX30 said:

I hope I'm not the only one but I've been waiting for a nice poker game on the 3DS with online play of course. You'd think the big names in poker would've come up with one already but no.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Wii U eShop titles Cloudberry Kingdom and Funky Barn for me this week.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

My backlog's too big to justify anything more. I would've got Harvest Moon probably, but I'm getting A New Begining in Mid-Spetember when it's released, so I don't have any more appetite for Harvest moon just now.

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

I'll wait for a review on Cloudberry kingdom, e-shop trailer looked fairly good.
Harvest Moon (Snes), maybe.
Discount on Funky Barn seems common sense, always looked like a (fairly decent) budget game to me, so i might pick it up.

Grubdog

Grubdog said:

@LeVideoGamer is there really a small team dedicated to VC? That would make no sense considering it's one of the best features and a huge selling point of the Wii U

DavidH

DavidH said:

Anyone tried Wii U Cloudberry Kingdom yet or seen any impressions anywhere?

Cheers