Nintendo Direct Mini Reveals SEGA 3D Classics on the Way to Europe

Posted by Orla Madden

North America too!

Update:

As spotted by gonintendo, SEGA has now confirmed in its blog that these titles are "coming soon" to both Europe and North America, after the titles were originally confirmed in the European Nintendo Direct.

Original Article:

We reported back in May this year that SEGA's 3D Classic selection of titles were inching towards a Western release, thanks to some titles gaining classification from the Australian Classification Board.

The wait is almost over - for European gamers at least - as during today's Nintendo Direct Mini, Nintendo of Europe's President, Satoru Shibata, revealed that SEGA's 3D Classics range will indeed embark on an adventure to the West.

During the broadcast the following titles were confirmed; Altered Beast, Ecco the Dolphin, Shinobi, Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Hang-On, Space Harrier, Streets of Rage and Galaxy Force.

All of the above titles will be released on the European 3DS eShop soon, though no specific dates have been revealed just yet; there also hasn't been a whisper of these titles setting sail for North America, either.

It's a great opportunity for those of you who've never experienced these gems before, so will you download any of them when they're released on the 3DS eShop? Let us know by dropping a comment below.

Related Games

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Hmm, I think I would probably pass, I have Sonic The Hedgehog in enough forms as it is.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Does anyone know if these have save systems? I loved Sonic the Hedgehog as a kid, but never completed it without the use of a level select cheat.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Altered Beast really doesn't interest me. (Got the VC Arcade version last time and it is not something I am interested in playing again. Funny thing is Magician Lord is basically a total rip off of it but yet it is still pretty good.)

Gunstar Heroes and M.U.S.H.A are what I want.

(Or TG16 that was announced in 2011).

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I would definitely nab Space Harrier and maybe Sonic if they came to NA. Would still love a second "season" of 3D classics from Nintendo, though... imagine a remastered Starfox. Worth it for the music alone.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I'll get Streets of Rage, but I don't think I'll get anything else. I have the Mega Drive Ultimate Collection on PS3 which has most of these games, but I just love Streets of Rage so much.

Humphries90

Humphries90 said:

I'l definitely be getting Space Harrier and Super Hang-On straight away. I cna't wait to see the 3D effect. Will probably pick the rest up later on too. I hope MUSHA is released, I always hear amazing things about it but I've never had the chance to play it.

ultrakatie64

ultrakatie64 said:

Can't wait for these games to come out in th US too. The Shining series would be beautiful in 3D, so I hope that is on Sega's agenda.

KTT

KTT said:

Ecco the Dolphin. I got it in Mega Drive Classic Collection, but I would like to play it on the actual system.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Well there goes whatever was left with the rumour that there would only be 6 3d classics games.

@Peach64 I think most of the 3D Classics games have quick save functionality. Unless you mean something a bit more permanent like save files?

Peach64

Peach64 said:

@Ernest_The_Crab Nah, quick save is fine. The only 3D Classic I've played was Kid Icarus and they just changed the password system to a save one there, so I wasn't sure how it worked in games that didn't originally have saving.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I'll lead the charge to bring the titles to America if we don't have them released over here within a week of the European release.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

These are great. But I would rather Sega, if they are sticking to re releasing older games, release Saturn and Dreamcast games. Imagine a portable Skies of Arcadia. Or Burning Rangers without the clipping environments. Perhaps even some Model 2 and 3 arcade games like Daytona, Scud Race, Sega Rally.

Emblem

Emblem said:

I think we have megadrive collections in enough places already to be honest so i doubt i'll pick this up. What we really need is a Sega Saturn collection or at least a few of the gems on sale. I would kill for a Burning Rangers remake or even straight port. Kill i tell you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiiCFNo0ZdY - Gotta love the intro and theme song :)

RIC616

RIC616 said:

Can't wait to get Streets of Rage to play on the move. My favourite game of all time.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

Would love to see Phantasy Star II or IV in 3D!! I remember the multiple layers of parallax in the dungeons and the matrix look of the battles. Would show great depth!

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

I'm sure to buy them all eventually seeing as I've only played Sonic from the entire lot.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Shinobi, Space Harrier, Streets of Rage and Super Hang On for me. Day one... and thank you for the NA release.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Space Harrier, Shinobi, Sonic, and definitely Streets of Rage will be downloaded. Streets of Rage will definitely be a day one download for me.

Ras

Ras said:

I can see my 3DS having all of these installed. Only one I'm not that familiar with is Galaxy Force.

brianvgplayer

brianvgplayer said:

@CAM290 Space Harrier, Super Hang On, and Galaxy Force II are arcade ports and the rest are Genesis ports. I'm going to get the arcade ports first and may get a few of the Genesis ones like Sonic and Shinobi III. I'm especially excited for Galaxy Force II since it doesn't have as many ports as some of the others and looks like it could be one of SEGA's better scaling arcade titles.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

I will be buying Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master on day one the MINUTE it's downloadable. This game is one of my top ten maybe even top five favourite games of all time, ranking up there with Ocarina of Time, No Mercy and Super Mario Galaxy

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Galaxy Force II was a ridiculously awesome game in the arcade, and still pretty awesome on the Saturn. Either way, being able to play it in THREE DEE would probably just make it even more ridiculously awesomer. Still... I have no idea what the first Galaxy Force is, which probably means that the sequel was a million billion times better. Makes me wonder why Sega doesn't just skip to the good one.

Yasume

Yasume said:

Wow, 16-bit ports. This means that SNES games could see a release on the 3DS eShop as well someday.

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

This is fantastic news, I only dream that Power Drift & Outrun Arcades, will follow.
Are we all sure that Galaxy Force 2 is the Arcade Version ? This was available on the Megadrive / Genesis and was a poor conversion

Ras

Ras said:

@kurtasbestos In spite of this article, it actually is Galaxy Force II. Also, it isn't the original Shinobi, but the Genesis-only Shinobi III.

I didn't know the version of Galaxy Force II was the arcade, but after watching a review of the Genesis port, that's got to be a good thing.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

None of those interest me. Bring out Phantasy Star 2 & 4, Sonic CD, Shinobi 3 and Shining Force 1 & 2 Then were talking.

Windy

Windy said:

Well at least Sega See's that 3D classics will sell. Nintendo seems to have jumped off that train. Thank you Sega for picking up where Nintendo seems to have left off. I will pick up at least 2 of these

LindsayPez

LindsayPez said:

I've been thinking a lot recently about how I wish I could play Sonic The Hedgehog 1 and 2 on my 3DS! I know I could buy that DS compilation buuuut I'd love for them to be on virtual console.

xj0462

xj0462 said:

3D space harrier, shinobi, super hang on, and galaxy force 3D here i come!!!