Monster Hunter 4's Insect Staff Weapon Attributes Detailed

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Buffs and evolving bugs to feature

Monster Hunter 4 is now less than two months away from release in Japan, with Capcom unsurprisingly ramping up the hype generator for the occasion. Its latest burst of fresh information, as translated from the official website by Siliconera, is focused on one of the two new weapons — the Insect Staff.

While the Charge Axe is new but, due to its concept, rather familiar, the Insect Staff seems like a rather different affair. Presumably with weaknesses of its own — such as being a blunt object and, we'll assume, relatively low on power — it does offer some interesting mechanics that could seriously impact the shape of any given battle. One major feature is that, depending on the monster and body part that you attack, you "extract" energy of different colours that provide buffs, below.

White: Mobility enhancement
Orange: Defense Up
Red: Attack Up
Green: Health Recovery

You'll also earn the ability to combine extracts for additional effects, with one particularly useful example being the "Earplug" ability to counter monsters' roars. To add even more depth, it'll be possible to change and level up the Hunting Insect attached to the weapon. Different creatures bring various strengths, and by acquiring special items and food you can enhance the insects' stats and even evolve them into other forms.

With Monster Hunter being such a complex and involving franchise, this new weapon promises to add to that dynamic. Do you like the idea of the Insect Staff?

[via siliconera.com]

uximal

uximal said:

Cool, can't wait, I hope MH4 makes it to the west.

@FlyingKickPunch

Don't let the charm table distract you, I actually enjoyed the game without knowing about them. Although this might help

Table 4 and Table 6 favor Great Sword users.
Table 4 and Table 10 favor Lance and Gunlance users.
Table 10 favors Dual Sword and Hammer users.
Table 14 favors Switch Axe users.

There is also a very detailed document I stumbled upon which helps out with the charm tables a great deal.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Isn't it Mothro? Gotta live him. Anyway I want to use this weapon if MH4 ever arrives in our part of the world. I just hope if they ever port it to Wii U, they'll put more effort in the environments. It looks gorgeous on a small screen but like MH3U it doesn't look that good in HD. Though its all about gameplay

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Cannot wait for this game to arrive over here in NA! I was considering importing it, but not sure if I can swing that. We will most likely get this game same time next year.

KilluaZoldyck

KilluaZoldyck said:

Blunt objects are not weak. You just have been hitting the wrong part of the monster. I main the hh and the hammer and I am offended that you think I can't kill monsters as fast as someone with a slicing weapon.

Edit: also concerning charm tables, I'm on 9 which is really good for the ranged weapons.

AVahne

AVahne said:

I'm hoping MH4 stays on 3DS. Please do NOT port MH4 as is to Wii U like they did with MH3G/U. Instead, it'll be much better to wait 2-3 years for them to bring MH4G/U to Wii U and built for Wii U.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

I'm not sure what the portable Monster Hunters are like but the Wii U needs a Monster Hunter not hampered by a tiny map sectioned off by loading screens. It's a great game but a free roaming map is where it's at.

Warruz

Warruz said:

Really want to see the charge axe, its the one im interested in. Ever since they added switch axe its been my favorite (was hammer before) so im curious to see the charge axe. Although iv always wanted some sort of long range blunt weapon though like a ball and chain .

Is there any notable improvements in this iteration, we have been on 3 for a bit now and im curious if there is any improvements that have been needed for awhile such as Map-able buttons , improved online lobby system(both how it functions and the physical group lobby), and MOAR MAPS!!!!

Oh yeah ... Wii U plz

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

Before asking for the wiiu version we should at least get a confirmation that we at least are getting this.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@KilluaZoldyck
It depends, but of course you're right. Blunt weapons are great for body damage, while sharp ones are good for cutting off tails. And the Insect staff looks like a very promising weapon which doesn't focus on damage, but utilizes buffs for both yourself and your teammates.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I'm really looking forward to trying out both new weapons but this is the one I'm most excited for. Not only does it have stat buffs like the hunting horn and a more tacticle set-up than most melee weapons, just having a giant bug that fights along side you makes it worth atleast giving it a try. I also like the idea of having both your feline companion(s) and the bug together.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Didn't we already know this? None of this information is new to me and I've known this for a while...

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

i like the idea, but probably wouldnt use it

charge axe i may give a good go though since i enjoy the switch axe and the sword and shield

element187

element187 said:

@Koto Doesn't work that way. Capcom will just port it straight to the Wii U no matter when it comes out.... It would cost way too much money to upgrade the game to fit the Wii U's power. If it does come to Wii U it will be exactly like MH3U did for Wii U, a few upgraded textures and uprezzed to 1080p.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@element187
Capcom has only ported upscaled portable MH games to home consoles TWICE in the series' history, and both times during the 3rd generation of MH games. Both times, the ports are straight ports with no added content. They don't count as individual games in the generation
What I spoke of in the previous comment is a G game, which usually comes 2 years after the first game of the gen, usually a year after the "Portable" game. Now the MH team could very well decide to be lazy and just add on content to 4 and rerelease it 2 years later on 3DS as 4G with MAYBE a simple Wii U port as well. OR, Capcom could have them actually use a home console version of MT Framework instead of the Mobile version to build a G game in 2 or more years that plays to Wii U's (or PS4, or both) strengths, just like how another Capcom team is playing to PS4's strengths with deep down. And with deep down, I'm pretty sure a new IP would be riskier than putting more money in an established and highly popular series (though it also has risks, especially if Wii U doesn't turn around in 2-3 years).
But really, I don't know what Capcom has in store. WE don't KNOW what they have in store. But with MH, I'm willing to see if they surprise me (like with the announcement of a Chinese CryEngine3 developed PC MH), instead of being an outright pessimist.

ollietaro

ollietaro said:

This basically acts as the hunting horn which might mean that they're taking it out. Enough rumours! I want to know exactly what is going to be in this game!

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

I am intrigued by this bug stick. Nothing will ever beat SnS for me, though, and I'm sure I will always love the Hammer and Great Sword, as well.