Global Link For Pokémon Black And White Titles Will Cease On 14th January 2014

Posted by Orla Madden

Black and White 1 & 2 will lose use of the service

According to a special notice on the Pokémon Global Link website, the service is set to completely shut down for Pokémon Black and White and Pokémon Black and White 2 on 14th January 2014.

Certain features will begin to switch off this October over a three month period, starting with the Dream World and new user registration on the 12th October.

A brand new Global Link is scheduled to launch in October alongside the release of the highly anticipated new additions to the series, Pokémon X and Y. You'll be able to carry over some achievements and statistics to the new Global Link, once you register with your existing username.

However, your copies of these games won't lose all connected features, as you'll still be able to use the GTS and Free Mode in Random Matchups in the game.

More details of when each service will cease are detailed on the website, so be sure to check them out before it's too late; there's still plenty of time to soak up the game's online functionality before it dissolves.

[via en.pokemon-gl.com, serebii.net]

Related Games

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Thanks for the heads up. I never did the link up thing where you can see cutscenes depending on how long you were in B/W1.

RQuinain

RQuinain said:

I got bored of the Dream World after a few months using it with BW1, but what about those people that spent time on their dream houses? Do they just go poof? And the Pokedex, C-Gear, Musical skins... I'm assuming that once it goes offline, you're stuck with whatever you have on your game?

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

To be honest? I say good riddance, I did not like having to do a ton of crap through repetitive flash games and having a hard time trying to interact with other players in the most child-safe way possible, so I could grow some gosh darn berries or acquire pokémon with rare abilities.

The whole process of tucking in a pokémon, waiting for the game to connect and save, log onto Global Link, play around on things for a time limited hour, sync it back to my DS, ugh...
I sincerely hope they don't repeat anything like this for pokémon X/Y and just, let you do things completely from within the main game itself, no dependence on crap like this again.

It really was just a terrible approach to expanding content for DS games, the 3DS has a much better online architecture for player interactivity and bonus content.

SteveW

SteveW said:

wow, Nintendo doesn't seem any better than other companies at keeping servers going for long, very disappointing...

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

That sucks. How else will I get Pokemon with dufferent abilities without breaking out the AR?

TheHunter

TheHunter said:

Unless there's gonna be a new function to replace the Dream World, Pokemon with DW abilities will become very hard to find. I'd better stock up.

Squid

Squid said:

I guess I should pull out White and use the Dream World as much as I can until Oct., huh? D: I actually still use it and sort of like it, but I do hope the new Global Link will be less of a pain to use.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

This is why I collected a bunch of female Pokemon with their Dream World abilities.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

Glad that I finished my Pokedex on White 1 a few months ago, but all the same, this is kind of sad (albeit inevitable).

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

I'm going to miss the global link. I loved being able to capture Pokemon with different abilities. I was able to get myself a magikarp with the move bounce.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

I haven't even touched the Fifth Generation games, and their servers are already getting shut down? Man, that blows. They've only been up about two years. Not a long time.

SLiM

SLiM said:

This is the only downside to free to play online. Nothing to generate revenue to keep the servers going, so they inevitably have to get shutdown.

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

While I personally grew tired of the Dream World a while ago (although I did play it quite a bit for a period of time), this seems rather sudden - B&W2 only game out last October, meaning that some of their online services will have only lasted a year.

That would be extremely disappointing for people who are only just picking the game up now, or who really enjoy the Dream World.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

ha, HA, HAHAHA omg i am SO going to rub this in my old roomate's face! he was like "oh i'll wait to get black and white until they make gray" I can't wait to tell him this. It sucks, but at least stuff will carry over to the new one. I just wanna keep my pokeDolls and berries

paniccoffee

paniccoffee said:

Not so sorry to see it go. If it weren't for pokémon with abilities only available to the dream world, I would not endure such horrible flash games. They could have just put the mini games in the cartridge itself so we didn't have to switch from computer to console and back again. So annoying.

Gregor

Gregor said:

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO quick everyone start breeding! We need to help each other!

TwoSmoove

TwoSmoove said:

@Marioman64 I take it your roommate hasn't heard about black and white 2 then. Shame.
As for DW, I'll have to trade people for the females I want.