Game Freak's New 3DS eShop Title Combines Horse Racing And Solitaire

Posted by Damien McFerran

Soriti Horse is hitting Japan at the end of the month

Following on from the successful HarmoKnight, Pokémon studio Game Freak is preparing to launch another 3DS eShop title in the shape of Soriti Horse.

The game is divided into two phases: "Solitaire" and "Control". The former allows you to nurture your relationship with your steed in order to improve its performance in the latter phase, where you'll have to navigate the race courses with the touchscreen. During races you'll have to react to different elements, such as changes in the course surface and so on. In the final stretch you can give yourself a boost by using special items collected during the race as well as resorting to the trusty whip to wring a little more speed from your flagging horse.

What's more, you'll also be able to turn your thoroughbred champion into a QR code which you can then share with other 3DS owners.

There's no word on a western release at present, but Soriti Horse is hitting the Japanese 3DS eShop on July 31st, and will cost 500 Yen. Game Freak is handling the publishing duties itself this time around, rather than partnering with Nintendo.

[via nintendoeverything.com]

Magikarp3

Magikarp3 said:

"After a quick sweep of the google, it's...Horse solitaire. Okay then... - Fri 19th Jul 2013" - previous article

Caaaaaalled it!

Although I wish that I hadn't, in hindsight. Seriously, horse solitaire?!?

EDIT: Is it just me or do those graphics look very Rhythm Heaven-y?

Sjoerd

Sjoerd said:

I like Solitaire. 500 Yen is like €3,80, which is about $4,50? I might just get this!

ultrakatie64

ultrakatie64 said:

That looks like it has some elements of Pokemon in there. Could be a lot of fun. Hope it gets an American release.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Oh, wow. I was pretty close with "Psyduckhorse".

I do like me a bit of Solitaire so I would definitely consider this if it is released internationally (though I'd strongly doubt it).

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Ah so that's what they meant by one of the widely played games in the world. Solitaire certainly fits that description.

3DSAllDay

3DSAllDay said:

YES!!! I knew that by spamming Nintendo with emails asking them to make a horse racing solitaire game that they would respond with this!!!!

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Mellowkarp
I'm not entirely sure, but I think I read somewhere that the character designer from the 'Rhythm' team is involved with this... if only I could find it... my browser history is a mess.

And on-topic: I don't like horses (ponies are a different case entirely), and I don't like Solitaire either (or solo card games in general) - soooooo no.

mamp

mamp said:

I expected shovelware from anyone but Gamefreak, now I feel like I can expect anything from anyone O_O am I gonna die!?

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

I would honestly play this if it came out. Both things I like, and together, that's just weird enough to work.

Windy

Windy said:

The negative comments on a game that hasn't even been released yet! Just makes me sad to be a member here. Sorry but true. How many games are there out there like this one.......um...ahh...0... Nada...I for one would like to see different. I will support this gamefreak don't listen to the naysayers

Syrup

Syrup said:

Man, I love solitaire! And I love fauna of the equestrian variety! Ha ha ha, sure hope this game comes to the West, we need more unique games like this in the eShop.

Lobster

Lobster said:

The funny thing is that I don't even think this is shovelware yet... It looks like it from any other dev but Game Freak. From Game Freak I'd give it a try - on someone else's 3DS first. You know, assuming it ever came out here.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Reading the negative comments here, and do some people really wonder why new IPs are never supported when they do show up? Loving the cartoony graphics on this one.

Crimzonlogic

Crimzonlogic said:

This looks odd, but that is usually a good thing. I'll give it a shot if it comes to the states.
I've always wanted to own a racehorse, but they are expensive! This game might fill that desire a little. I hope I can name my horse.
I love that horse with the pompadour.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'm slightly disappointed about this announcement but this game could turn out to be fun. Since there is no word on a western release though, I won't hold my breath for the chance to get to try it out myself.

Windy

Windy said:

I'm still waiting for this one to get the US and European release date. don't hold out on such a cool game