Devil Survivor 2 European Pre-Order Threshold and Details Outlined by Ghostlight
Posted by Thomas Whitehead
1800 pre-orders needed for release
DS title Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 has been available in North America — published by Atlus — for well over a year now, yet it's taken time for a publisher to successfully pick up the reins in Europe. Ghostlight has stepped in, but successfully selling a DS game is increasingly difficult in the current market, a reality that seems to have affected this release.
Earlier this month Ghostlight detailed its pre-order plans, stating that two packages would be available and that a pre-order threshold would need to be hit for the release to go ahead. Pre-orders were planned to open last week, but "final approval of the content" is still required for the European version, pushing the process back until that's finally in place.
While we wait for that, Ghostlight has outlined specific details of what it'll take for this release to see the light of day. It's specified that 1800 pre-orders will be required for it to go ahead, as that's the number required to break even on manufacturing costs. Below are the bundles that'll be offered.
Option 1: Standalone Release
- Devil Survivor 2 (DS)
- This factory sealed edition will be available to all PAL territories and anyone pre-ordering from us will have the option to include their name in the DS2 manual.
- Pre-Order price £24.99/€29.99
Option 2: Devil Survivor Bundle
- Devil Survivor 2 (DS) & Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS) with £10.00 discount!
- Both games will be factory sealed and as with Option 1, anyone pre-ordering the bundle will have the option to include their name in the DS2 manual. Regrettably, we will not be able to ship this bundle to Germany due to an existing distribution agreement.
- Pre-Order price £49.98/€59.98 (usual price £59.98/€69.98)
Pre-orders will be open for one month only, but manufacturing will begin sooner (it's a five week process) if the threshold is passed before then. If the target isn't hit, those on option 1 will receive a full refund, while option 2 pre-orders would receive a £24.99/€29.99 refund but still receive a copy of Devil Survivor Overclocked for 3DS. Assuming all goes well with content approval and pre-orders when opened, Ghostlight is targeting a late September release.
The question is, will the pre-order target be hit? It's down to DS and 3DS owners in Europe to pitch in if they want the game to arrive in the region.