CoroCoro Reveals Details on New and Existing Pokemon

Posted by Dylan Newcome

"A wild magazine appears!"

It's that time of month again. Time for Pokemaniacs the world over to eagerly tear open their web browsers and find out what Japanese magazine CoroCoro has in store for the upcoming Pokemon X and Pokemon Y. This month fans get a peek at some brand new Pokemon, as well as some tidbits about Kalos legends Xerneas and Yveltal. Translations for names as well as images come courtesy of the good folks at Serebii.

(Note: Japanese names are used where English names have not yet been revealed or translated.)

• Xerneas is pure Fairy-type and learns a mysterious move called Geo Control. It also has the Ability Fairy Aura, which boosts the power of Fairy-type moves.
  • Yveltal is Dark/Flying-type and can learn Death Wing. It has the Ability Dark Aura, which powers up Dark-type moves.
  • Goronda (rumored English name: Pangoro) evolves from the previously revealed Pancham. Like its pre-evolution, it is Dark/Fighting-type. Its Ability is Iron Fist, and its Hammer Arm move gains a strength boost from this Ability. Apparently the method for evolving Pancham to Goronda is something not yet seen for any other Pokemon.
  • Peropaffu is a Fairy-type "Cotton Candy Pokemon." It has an all-new Ability, Sweet Pale, which prevents allies from falling asleep. It also learns a new move called Drain Kiss. Peropaffu is exclusive to Pokemon X.
  • Shushup is also a Fairy-type Pokemon, and is classified as the "Perfume Pokemon." Accordingly, it learns the move Aromatherapy and has the Healer Ability. Shushup is exclusive to Pokemon Y.
  • The "Rotation Pokemon" Maika is the pre-evolved form of the "Reversal Pokemon" Karamanero (rumored English names: Inkay and Malimar). These squid-like Pokemon are both Dark/Psychic-type and can have the Ability Suction Cups or Contrary. Maika can learn a Dark-type move called Turn Over which reverses stat changes.
  • The two previously revealed Water-type Pokemon Clauncher and Skrelp are exclusive to Pokemon X and Pokemon Y, respectively.
  • Honedge, the recently revealed Ghost/Steel-type Pokemon, has the Ability No Guard.

In addition to the new information about the Pokemon themselves, some details about the antagonist team were shared. In Pokemon X and Y, the player will be battling against Team Flair. Apparently the only goal of Team Flair is to make money, but perhaps there are some secrets behind this organization's motives.

Also discussed were Professor Purataanu (rumoured English name: Patrice) who gives you your starter Pokemon, Gym Leader Shitoron, who sports a Doc Ock-looking set of mechanical arms, and another Gym Leader named Zakuro who is said to be a renowned athlete.

What do you think of the new Pokemon? Will you be trying out any of the new Fairy-types? Let us know in the comments!

[via serebii.net]

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

That cloud like pokemon looks odd. I wonder how its evolution will be.
Also dat squid penguin hybrid. o.o

Goronda looks awesome.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Still don't like the term 'Fairy' for a type, but that won't stop me from trying them all!

Drainos

Drainos said:

ah, a legendary dark/fly type. I use always dark and fly type`s and now there`s a mix of it. Yveltal is going my number 1 pokemon.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I think I've decided at this point that I'm going with Pokemon X. Xerneas just looks much more unique to me. The fact that he has the new type exclusively probably just sealed the deal.

SpinelessOyster

SpinelessOyster said:

The evolved form of Pancham looks rad. And that squid? Too cool. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far of this Gen.

kingston589

kingston589 said:

i really wanted clauncher and I already pre ordered pokemon y. Wow now I have to get both

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

It seems like Pokemon is going back to it's roots for these next games, Both tittles feature a Red and Blue mascot (Of course Japan had Pokemon Green instead of Blue) and the organization is out for money just like team rocket.

jacksayspurple

jacksayspurple said:

I really really like the designs of the Pokemon this generation! Then again, I'm not so hot on the Cotton Candy Pokemon... didn't the Vanillite line teach Nintendo the perils of making confectionery based 'mon?! Haha! Still gonna be catching one though, after all, GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL, POKEMON!

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

I have a real issue. Me and my friends each want to collaberate so 2 of us have x and 2 have y.... But we all want Y because the legendary looks so great... and now with the types being released, dark/flying vs fairy, it will be even worse because non of us will want the fairy type, not that fairy is bad, it's just dark flying is so awesome. Plus with an attack like death wing, that's so cool. Maybe If it was Fairy/Water I would get X but... it's not so problem not solved.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

I really really REALLY want Pokemon X but HATE the name "fairy" type. What sounds man-lee-er? DARK FLYING LEGENDARY or fairy legendary. Death Wing or Fairy dust? I will still get X because I like Xerneas and I will still pick Froakie (Fennekin shall drown) but I wish the fairy ttpe would have been given a better name. Glad it balances out the domaniant dragon type though.
And Team Flair sounds... Not to intimidating.

Kryce

Kryce said:

@Xtremetdifan
The fairy type does not exactly mean Pink cute creatures...
but rather Pure, magic, clean and "good" type considering Dark type is "Evil" type in the japenese games.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

Yay! More lazy, bland, and ugly Pokemon designs! Seriously, we need better Pokemon designers.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I like Peropaffu a lot (looks like a poodle coming out of a washing machine), but I am getting Y anyway. It will be easier for someone to trade me a Peropaffu than a Yveltal, anyway.

ZephyrTortera

ZephyrTortera said:

I think team flare is gonna be that team that breaks into banks and steals Pokemon to sell on a black market. I'm really starting to like Pokemon X. Already preordered mine.

ZephyrTortera

ZephyrTortera said:

@SockoMario Are you saying that cos you genuinely hate the designs or are you one of the people who hates everything new because your thinking "Nothing will ever be better than the original!".

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Finally, a squid Pokemon! Squid are my favorite animal, and plus it's dark and psychic, a new type combo! I think I found a new favorite!!!

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

@ZephyrTheLegend Are you one of those people who like the new Pokemon designs no matter what they look like? And no, I don't hate them because they are new. I hate them because they look bland, lazy, ugly, and most of them lack charm.

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

@SockoMario Genwunner alert, Genwunner alert. Hide in your closets, protect your family, no one is safe. If spotted, remain calm, and throw celery at it. Genwunners hate celery. They may say they like it, but they are just trying to intimidate you. Remember, stay in doors at all times. Thank you, that is all.

Subaru

Subaru said:

I like how he claims the new designs look lazy and ugly. Yet, Gen 1 had it just as bad.

Squid

Squid said:

God, some Pokemon fans are the worst at complaining. I can understand being mad about the B/W designs, since you weren't able to catch anything else. This is just dumb to complain about now. Sure, these designs are not that grand, but each generation has had its share of uglies. And this time, just catch something else for god sakes. It seriously does not matter.

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

@Subaru It's a cycle, it happens every generation, we should just ignore them and let them continue screaming obscenities like spoiled children playing on Xbox live.

Newtwo

Newtwo said:

How many pokémon fans does it take to change a lightbulb? 2. One to change the light bulb, the other one complains about how the lat one was better.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Hm...Honedge has No Guard. I've always been an all or nothing player in Pokemon so this could get interesting.

It's too bad Clauncher is in Pokemon X though, I've already gone for Y (due to the legendary).

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Ugh. More new evolution methods, let's hope it can at least be done ingame, we don't need any further breaks of immersion.

Lostog

Lostog said:

the professor's name seems the romanization of "platano", which in some languages is the name of the banana plant. they could call him professor cavendish! professor banana would be just silly. also, is patrice the name of a plant i'm not aware of?

dew12333

dew12333 said:

Some great new info, but some details on the breeding mechanics would be nice.

dew12333

dew12333 said:

Some great new info, but some details on the breeding mechanics would be nice.

dew12333

dew12333 said:

Some great new info, but some details on the breeding mechanics would be nice.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

@Drainos: You mean you forgot about Murkrow and Honchkrow?! :o

I read a rumour that to evolve Inkay into Malimar you need to rotate the 3DS upside-down as it levels up. If so, that is pretty cool! Also, it's more likely that the professor will be named Sycamore in English based on his Japanese name, which was a rumoured researcher's name if I recall correctly. ;)

Aaronzord

Aaronzord said:

I hope the leader of Team Flair is Ric Flair and that he ends every sentence with "WOOOOOO!"

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

here we go again with the stupid/ugly design pkm of this new gen .-. the cotton candy pkm sigh we have ice cream last gen... guess they are always hungry when coming up with designs or something ._.

not bad on the legends types i guess i saw that coming

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Goron => Goronda
C'mon guys, there's no way I've been the only one who noticed that.

[EDIT: Also, I'm not a Genwunner (Gen III aside), I just want these games to be compatible with the previous ones so that we can keep our critters. Nothing else matters.]

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

@Drainos: Well then, I guess there's no question about which version you've picked. ;)

I usually tend to choose the version which has the more appealing version-exclusive Pokémon to me, which at this stage is X. I prefer Xerneas to Yveltal since its theme is much more preferable, Clauncher to Skrelp since I like the colour azure and crustacea, and Swirlix to Spritzee since fairy-floss (cotton candy) is enjoyable in moderation. :)

Also, hooray for the confirmation of Professor Sycamore's English name! Keep the researchers named after trees! :D

SOURCE: http://serebii.net/index2.shtml

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

@Subaru I'm not following anyone's opinions. These are my personal opinions. If I think that the Pokemon designs are ugly, that should be okay. If you like the new Pokemon designs, that is okay! I'm totally fine with anyone who likes these designs.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

@CaptainSquid I'm not a Pokemon fan and I don't like these designs. I'm not saying these Pokemon will be BAD. I'm just saying that I personally don't like their designs.

kid0kami

kid0kami said:

to be Honest I haven't seen enough of these pokemon to decide if I like the designs.....in fact at first i was totally against the idea of them making another pokemon just because it seems a little ridiculous. but i can't deny my love for the game and want to start entering competitions so guess i'd better keep up. But i dislike the designs for most the X/Y gen so far.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Yeah, okay okay, but what are you doing to push Gardevoir into OU?

Also, remove or fix IVs please.