Club Nintendo Japan Falls Victim to Hack Attack

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Users encouraged to change passwords

It's an unfortunate reality of the cyber-world that hack attacks are a fairly regular occurrence, with Ubisoft recently falling victim. The most high-profile example — in the gaming world at least — was the infamous attack on the PlayStation Network, taking the service down for a month and, with it, online gaming on the PS3.

Nintendo is vulnerable to attacks too, of course, and Club Nintendo in Japan seems to have been the target of a hack in recent days. A notification on the region's customer support page advises Club Nintendo members to change their passwords. A translation of the page states that investigations started on 2nd July, and suggests that between 9th June and 4th July 23,926 accounts were illegally accessed; this was reportedly from 15,457,485 attempts.

The message states that details such as name, address, phone number and email addresses may have been compromised; it's made clear that no credit card details were stored or at any risk. This does appear to be a Japan-only issue, with Nintendo telling CVG that "this only affects the Japanese Club Nintendo and is not an international issue".

Naturally users in Japan should change the password on their account, and this is certainly an unwelcome development for Nintendo. We'll keep you up to date if there are any further developments.

[via nintendo.co.jp, computerandvideogames.com]

Musterd

Musterd said:

When I first read this, I read it as "Club Nintendo falls victim to heart attack". I was very concerned.

Tomires

Tomires said:

What's up with hacking such meaningless services as of late? It's not like they contain valuable info... except for maybe passwords, but hey, who doesn't use a unique password for these sites is just begging to get robbed...

Fazermint

Fazermint said:

@Tomires Most people use the same password for a multitude of services, so these passwords can be very valuable. The hackers are not after Club Nintendo accounts, but the bank accounts etc of the members.

Tomires

Tomires said:

Well, if somebody uses the same password for e-banking/paypal/whatever as for general websites, they deserve to get a lesson on online security. It's the same as leaving your car open with keys in the ignition (outside of certain Nordic countries that is).

Shambo

Shambo said:

what a sad world this is. even your lock needs a lock lest it gets stolen. and even the pricetag on the lock for that lock comes with a pricetag.

BradPJ

BradPJ said:

Prior to the Ubisoft hack I used the same password for everything, as I am signed up on way to many sites to remember individual passwords. This being the third time in a about a year of having to change my password for everything I changed my method.

I now use a password manager with unique, long passwords containing symbols, letters and numbers. They are also completely random. So if this does happen again I'd like to think I'm more safeguarded. of course depends on the service and what information is stored there.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

What's with all this hacking lately? Many people just don't believe in making an honest living anymore...

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I think there's a world-class, secret elite hacking school, and the kids are taking their finals now that school's out. I imagine a dark, shadowy figure spinning a laptop around with a random gaming website in the browser, and he says, "Go"

Tender_Cutlet

Tender_Cutlet said:

Perhaps exasperated European Club Nintendo members after those Japanese exclusive stars catalogue items? It's amazing what measures the meagre choice of stationery or shoelaces in our regional catalogue will drive one to!...

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Well, they still have way more Club Nintendo prize options than any other country. I'll bet their platinum and gold rewards kick ours to the curb once again.