Classic Game Boy Mega Man Titles Coming To 3DS Virtual Console

Posted by Andy Green

Celebrating that 25th anniversary in style

Nintendo decided to casually drop EarthBound on the Wii U Virtual Console earlier today, ending the years upon years of waiting for North American and European gamers. Well, it seems the 3DS Virtual Console is also basking in the glow of some good news, as Capcom has revealed the Game Boy adaptations of Mega Man will blast into the eShop soon.

Brett Elston, senior online and community manager at Capcom, made the announcement that will see Mega Man II, Mega Man III, Mega Man IV and Mega Man V all come to the Virtual Console in the near future. Of course, Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge is already available to download and soon fans of the Blue Bomber will be able to have the full collection.

As if that wasn't enough, Mega Man Xtreme and Mega Man Xtreme 2 are also coming to the 3DS eShop, both of which are spin-offs of the Mega Man X series and were released on the Game Boy Color.

Capcom hasn't revealed any specific dates just yet but we imagine the games will be staggered over the coming months in the same way the NES iterations were.

Mega Man is celebrating his 25th anniversary this year and although there's been no news on a new title for him, at least we'll soon be able to jump into his portable past.

Has this news got you excited? Let us know your thoughts on these titles in the comment section below.

[via capcom-unity.com]

Kevin

Kevin said:

That's awesome! I've always wanted to play the others. Mega Man V is so expensive now. Can't wait!

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

This day just gets better and better. it would be the best day ever if legends was announced today. Plz?

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

Not a huge fan of the Mega Man games, but it's great to see more Game Boy games making their way onto the VC!

crazyj2312

crazyj2312 said:

doesn't megaman xtreme have some serious graphical issues? I hope they can fix those up a little when they bring it to the VC

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

This is awesome. I can't wait to have all five GB Mega Man games on my 3DS!
Mega Man V is particularly awesome, with the Stardroids and all.

RR529

RR529 said:

I can't wait! I loved Dr. Wily's Revenge (my first MM), and have been waiting a long time for more Mega Man.

I know the NES games are available, and better, but after my experience playing my ambassador NES games, I just can't really get into NES games on 3DS (seems like the image is too shrunk down).

FernandoMachado

FernandoMachado said:

remember when they planned to compile all the GB games into a GBA Anniversary Edition? LOL! It seems selling them separately makes mo money eh?

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

About time we got the handheld Mega Man games on our handheld Virtual Console! Hip Hip, Hooray!

I hope they do a packaged deal.

Side Note: I own Mega Man IV and V for Game Boy thanks to a buddy giving me all his Gameboy games for V... I just looked up how much Mega Man V is worth. DAMN.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

FINALLY!!! I only bought the first two MM titles for Game Boy back in the day so now I can catch up and downloading parts 3, 4 and 5. It's awesome news, indeed!

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Awesome, now just give us V and VI on Wii U, as well as X for Europe, and I'll be happy. Then you can think about moving onto X2 onwards and VII. ;P

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

I want the Game Gear Mega Man game. I hope that comes soon. Still hoping for a new Mega Man game, but at least Capcom is releasing more and the backlog of Mega Man games.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

What I'm dieing to play is Mega Man 7 for the SNES and V for the GB.
The question is, do i just shell out the crazy koopa coins for both of these expensive NintenNuggets on eBay, or do i wait cosmo-centuries for both to hit the vicious Virtual console while my 8-bit mullet gradually turns groovy-dudes grey? :P

benjamines

benjamines said:

I lost my copy of Mega Man III years and years ago, so it will be nice to have it back again.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Awesome Mega Man IV and V I've always wanted to play.

Come on Mega Man 5, 6, 7, X2, and X3 for Wii-U!

Then add some Saturn so we can get 8 and X4!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@crazyj2312 This is Capcom I highly doubt they will put any effort in whatsoever. (Look at the still broken Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts for example). If they really were bothered at all they would use the Megadrive (From the Wily Wars) sprites and remake the first 3 nes ones as 3d classics. They won't though.

Bryon15

Bryon15 said:

Why does capcom think we're content re-buying the same games we've already played hundreds of times? I'm not buying the same games I own just to have it on 3DS. When there's nothing wrong with my gba sp bright. Why won't they give us something new?

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

I bought all five of these cartridges on ebay. Found someone in Japan who was selling all five in one bunch... Games Four and five have some Japanese text in it, but I guess I need the reading practice anyway. Heh. Awesome games.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Mega Man V for the Game Boy has a strong case for being the best game in the classic series.

Mega Man II for the Game Boy has a strong case for being the worst.

It's the best of both worlds!

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

@Bryon15 Because there are some people who hasn't played these games (mainly the GB & GBC games). I know it's not that new megaman game we've been waiting for, but if anything it'll hold the majority over till then. You don't have to buy 'em again if you don't have to.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Bryon15 at this point, a lot of people will be really happy to play those games. And there are so many of them. I think personally I've played like, 3 of the classic games, so for me and I'm sure many people, there's a lot out there thats new for them on the VC as far as megaman games.

And I'm really intrigued about these Megaman eXtreme games.

Steveovig

Steveovig said:

Sweet stuff! Now we just need Mega Man and Bass, MM V, VI, and VII, and the X games, and we're set!

Olaf-symbiote

Olaf-symbiote said:

YES, YES, I've been anxious to get these, and the news of them coming in the future just made my day (along the release of Earthbound). I'm also super happy about the GBC Xtreme titles coming out, never thought those would be re-released.

I'm a big Mega Man fan who was introduced to the series thanks to Nintendo's Virtual Console. Sadly, I haven't had the chance to play all of these titles due to Nintendo and Capcom's sluggish release rate. Now, if they only had Mega Man 6 for Wii U VC, I wanna experience it on the BIG screen and not the 3DS!

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Its about time. The one I am mosted interested in is Mega Man V since it seems to be the most original out of the GB series.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

I grew up playing the GB and GBC Mega Man games so I'm looking forward to this. Honestly the GB Mega Man titles are so very underrated. Watch how everyone overreacts to Mega Man II. ;)

Marr_the_Great

Marr_the_Great said:

Great, I am looking forward to my chance to finally play Mega Man Xtreme 1 & 2. Never knew they existed until years after their release, but since learning of them I have really wanted to play them.