Weirdness: The Roots Perform an Awesome Mario Rap on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Disses Luigi, rap battle should happen...

For those that don't know, The Roots are a critically acclaimed, Grammy winning band, that also serves as the house band on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Some of you may also be aware that Fallon has been doing a lot of post-E3 coverage, so games have been a prominent part of his show in the past week.

That theme has setup what is a particularly enjoyable TV moment for Mario fans, as The Roots performed a brief rap about the Mario Bros. series; not only is the rap itself nice and faithful to the franchise — aside from a couple of minor things — but it's a darn catchy remix of the iconic theme tune. It's undoubtedly clever, though Luigi's cowardly persona does get called out; fans of the green one should prepare to be indignant.

We think this is pretty cool, but check it out below and let us know what you think.

[via kotaku.com]

deitypower

deitypower said:

Really nice rap. I slightly agree with the luigi being coward. I can always see his knees shaking. That only means luigi's scared right? That's okay. Everybody's afraid of something.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

"Bravery is not the absence of fear, but the mastery of it." ~John Berridge

Luigi is no coward.

That said, awesome little rap, inaccuracy aside.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I was wondering when they were going to get to Mario. I know the other day they did a parody of We are the World based on World of Warcraft.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

Jimmy is so lucky to have The Roots as his band. They are amazingly awesome and supremely talented musicians. I'm actually starting to like Fallon a little more though. He loves video games and good music. You can't go wrong with that.

SuperiorTech

SuperiorTech said:

Did anybody notice he said "and tryina save Daisy was makin' him crazy"?
Other than that little mistake, it was pretty impressive.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

@Reploid You left out the part where he was implying he was saving her from Donkey Kong. Mario was saving Daisy back in the Super Mario Land Game Boy game, right?

SuperiorTech

SuperiorTech said:

@aaronsullivan
I had an explanation saying that it sounds like he said Mario was saving Daisy from Donkey Kong but then I deleted it for some reason. xD. But now that I hear it again, he probably meant saving Daisy from Tatanga in Super Mario Land.

JusticeColde

JusticeColde said:

My gamps likes to watch that show, but I hate Jimmy Fallon.
I guess I should've watched this week.

I really like The Roots though.

Squid

Squid said:

Love Jimmy Fallon! :O You guys should also know that Friday night he's playing some Wii U with Reggie Fils-Aime, and he has a really awesome opening for video game week that I think tons of gamers would enjoy, and he makes a lot of Nintendo references:

Seriously, Jimmy is my favorite. :D

Shambo

Shambo said:

as a fan of hiphop in -pretty much- general, i'd have to say this 'rhyme' was amazing.

a-yo classic!

Donald_M

Donald_M said:

People keep calling Luigi a coward. Maybe he does get a little spooked, but he never backs down. I'd hardly call that cowardice.

Donald_M

Donald_M said:

Also, great rap and I love how gamer friendly and just geek friendly in general Jimmy's show is. It's awesome that he'll be hosting the Tonight Show soon. I might actually watch is soon.

Down with Leno! Don't let the door hit you on the way out, old man!