Video: Yoshi's New Island E3 Trailer

Posted by Orla Madden

Yoshi and Baby Mario are cuter than ever

A Nintendo Direct broadcast back in April gave us a small glimpse of a new Yoshi's Island game in development for the 3DS, but very few details were given at the time.

Its debut trailer has now emerged confirming the title of Yoshi's upcoming adventure, Yoshi's New Island, and features the cartoonish art style we've grown to love in the series.

Classic Yoshi abilities will be available in the new addition, as well as new moves. Different worlds feature a variety of art styles; oil, watercolour and pastels.

A release date wasn't confirmed, however a "holiday season" window was mentioned. Check out the E3 trailer below, and prepare to be totally relaxed with its soothing music.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

This doesn't look quite as exciting as I had hoped. Still, I look forward to seeing more.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Just recently played played Yoshi's Island for the first time and thought ti was great. Nice to see they are finally making a sequel.

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

I think the art style is awful. I loved the hand drawn sprites on the SNES and the DS version. The environments look bland and lifeless to me.

berenlazarus

berenlazarus said:

@Ryno

What do you mean, finally making a sequel? Guess you never heard of Yoshi's Island DS that came out in (I thinK) 2006.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

A holiday season release? That's surprising, considering how the game seemed to be early in development. Looks like the latter part of this year will be platformer-heavy with Mario, Donkey Kong, and now Yoshi.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I'm really not impressed by this. Gameplay looks bland and the graphics actually look kind of gross.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Is it me, or wasn't this announced in the European Direct? Maybe my stream was lagging when it happened.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

I love the idea of changing art styles. That kind of thing has always appealed to me. I'll keep my eye on this one.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

I can understand people disliking the art style compared to the old ones, but the gameplay looks typically amazing!

HouseofBees

HouseofBees said:

Yoshi's Island is firmly in my top 5 games, and yes, I'd prefer the hand-drawn style - but the idea of different art styles as the game progresses sounds excellent. Let's wait and see.

Mr_Vengeance

Mr_Vengeance said:

Looks very sparse and unfinished. I'm not a huge fan of the Yoshi series to be honest, so I can't see that perspective changing. I love Ninty platformers, but I think this might be one too far..... the resources could have been put into a new racer for example....

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

music is beyond terrible, sounds like something Sega will use on their commercials to make SNES games seem dull...... graphics are kinda ugly too..... thing I will pass on this one unless future footage is significantly better

Williaint

Williaint said:

I think it looks great, I can't wait to play it! It's like Yoshi's story meets Yoshi's island. The biggest problem: Yoshi's baby-voice.

Yasume

Yasume said:

Love platformers. 3D, 2D I take them all. Yoshi's Island? Not so much. Don't know why, but I didn't care for the SNES/GBA game. It's too slow perhaps.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

The first one on the SNES was such a great game. I didn't play the DS sequel but I'm glad that they are making another one in the series. I will definitely pick this one up when it's released.

julienpoo

julienpoo said:

@ferthepoet and it seems developed by Arzest/Artoon, responsible of the DS episode which was inconsistent and average in its design, nothing compared to the masterpiece that was Yoshi's Island in its time... it is still fun to play today btw
I can't understand all those positive comments here, did people really played Yoshi's Island ?

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

OH, MY, GOD I forgot to watch the other e3 trailer bits, I only saw the one in the morning! now I have amillion things to catch up on, like this piece of AMAZINGNESS

gefflt

gefflt said:

"Different worlds feature a variety of art styles; oil, watercolour and pastels."

What a great idea! Props to whoever thought of this.