Video: Street Fighter Gets Artistic with Motion Sculptures

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Lots and lots of lines

When teaching yourself video-making techniques and how to use various pieces of software, you could do worse than to use the time to commemorate a beloved gaming franchise. That's what a Vimeo user, DantheAdMan, has done, producing a video of motion sculptures based on characters from the iconic fighting franchise, such as Ryu, Blanka and Chun Li.

We initially came across this last week, but couldn't post it due to a part in the Chun Li section that was in particularly poor taste. That offending segment has now been edited out, so it's posted below for your pleasure. It may look like a blur of lines at the end of each segment, but seeing the structures come together is intriguing to watch. Let us know what you think in the comments section.

[via polygon.com]

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

Some people have way too much free time on their hands.

Not that I'm complaining, that was one of the most awesome things I've seen in quite some time.

Lan

Lan said:

Wow, that almost looks real, Very incredible. But why have Guile's theme during a fight between Ryu and Ken?

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

@Jamouse
I know it was just a throwaway sentiment "way too much free time on their hands", but it's a condescending assumption that always rubs me the wrong way.

As stated in the article the creators of this video are learning to use a tool, likely as a start to a career or at least a hobby in creating 3D graphics. What should they have been doing with their "free" time? Most people just sit on their can, snacking, drinking, surfing, watching TV or playing a video game. You know, consuming. The people behind this video are creating.

I wish more people would create than consume, I guess.

timp29

timp29 said:

I probably liked the Chun-Li section best. The other characters obscured themselves too much ruining the spectacle. Awesome concept though.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Great stuff. Found the original and that was pretty tame to have to be edited. Seemed like a tribute to back in the SNES days when everyone would try to pause the game to see a panty shot of Chun-li.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Ah, street fighter. How a loathe thee... (on the SNES .. as a kid when performing a haduken nay any special move seemed like the best thing to happen ever.)
That video looked pretty neat though.
@aaransullivan Crap, as an up and coming animator myself, I need to do something!