Video: New Super Luigi U Trailer Flutter Jumps Into View

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Just a week away

It may have slipped off some radars, but the substantial New Super Luigi U release arrives as DLC for New Super Mario Bros. U in next week's Nintendo Download update. The initial download release will arrive alongside an update for the Mario retail title, with the content then purchased through the game; a standalone boxed version will then arrive at a higher price — $29.99 in the U.S. — on 26th July in Europe and 25th August in North America.

Pleasingly, the reduced DLC price — $19.99 / £19.99 — should be good value with a full complement of 82 levels. While they'll perhaps be blasted through quicker than those in the original game, there should still be plenty of hours of gameplay for the cost, whether in single or multiplayer.

The latest trailer, released at the start of E3, is certainly worth a watch to see Luigi busting out the flutter jump at every opportunity, while it also shows off the rather useful Nabbit playable character; it's practically indestructible and ideal for less experienced players.

Check it out below; it's more 2D platforming and Luigi's the star, so odds are good that this may be worth picking up.

Sjoerd

Sjoerd said:

I wonder if it's four people can play without one being a Nabbit.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I like how at the end of every trailer for exclusive titles there's that "Only On Wii U" thing. Nintendo really should start to emphasize it's many exclusives to give better reason to buy a Wii U! :)

Gilius

Gilius said:

@Sjoerd Probably, though, one's gonna have to be the one placing blocks, while Luigi, Yellow & Blue Toad are running across the level.

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

@MrWalkieTalkie I really liked that touch for all the exclusive Wii U trailers this E3.

I'm kinda bummed out that I have to wait to get this at retail! I just want that beautiful, green box art!

GooRoo

GooRoo said:

Can't wait. We're looking forward to pro controller capability and we LOVE the price cut for the downloadable version. Until downloadable versions of games see regular price reductions over physical, I will always buy physical. Since this one is cheaper, we're going digital (it also doesn't hurt that it's coming earlier than the retail version)!

Any word on file size?

Moose_4

Moose_4 said:

i want it as soon as its released, but then i want the GREEN box as i love collecting special editions........decisions...

tchaten

tchaten said:

Anyone else thinking of buying DLC and getting the boxed version to keep for display - brand new?

tchaten

tchaten said:

@Moose_4 I feel weird for paying $50 and buying this twice - but I may end up doing it this time - not sure I can wait until September for something available next week ... decisions ... I'm betting that a brand new boxed version may have value in the years to come ...

Moose_4

Moose_4 said:

@tchaten i agree, it is annoying they both aren't released on the same day. also, if you download it, will you have to have mario bros U disc in to play? or will it be brand new content to play from wii u menu?

tchaten

tchaten said:

Only time will tell - the download size seems to be the full game - when compared to the original it is around the same - I'd be awesome after you verify you have the disc that it wouldn't be needed for playback of Luigi version, but not sure

Kirk

Kirk said:

Looking as solid and as fun as any of the previous New Super Mario Bros games I guess.

You know what I really would like to see though...

A new proper 2.5D Super Mario platformer that actually uses the clearly superior graphics (both the artstyle and presentation) and engine from Super Mario 3D World while still retaining the superior 2D controls and gameplay of the best classic Mario platform games.

Everything else is kinda only half way towards the perfect next-gen Mario platform game imo. Be it a primarily flat 2D game like the New Super Mario Bros series, a fully 3D game like the Mario Galaxy series or the latest hybrid Super Mario 3D World game.

Think of what Retro's done with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze but as a proper 2.5D Mario platformer instead and I think you'd have the perfect Mario platformer for the next generation of gaming.

That's basically what I've wanted from a proper modern Super Mario platform game since day one and I'm STILL waiting...

Make it happen, Nintendo!!!

Stewinashoe

Stewinashoe said:

@Moose_4 From what I read on the eShop, you'll need to have the Mario U disc in and start the game as usual. On the game's main menu there will be a Luigi U option.

Moose_4

Moose_4 said:

Ah rite, would have been more tempted if the disc wouldn't be required. I reckon i will just wait for boxed version, i have loads of games to complete first anyway, so not too bad.

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

Can't wait for this Download (since I already own NSMBU ) ... Fot right into my rotation... Injustice Gods Among Us, Lego Batman 2, Resident Evil Revelations... And Finish Final level of Darksiders 2 : )

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

t_vo

t_vo said:

Too bad you just couldn't buy the disc and install it, then you wouldn't have to buy it twice, for those of you who want the convenience of digital, but want to collect the box. But I guess obsessive compulsiveness has a price, no? XD

turnmebackwards

turnmebackwards said:

19.99 USD is 12.75 GBP but the UK pay 19.99 GBP for good measure on DLC.
29.99 USD is 19.12 GBP but the UK pay 29.99 GBP for good measure on the physical copy.
Grrrrr!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm looking forward to some good challenges. Playing through NSMBU several times made the game seem easier, but that was because I became a better player and needed some more platforming action.

I'm getting the flashy, green box, so this will have to wait a little.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@tchaten
I definitely thought about it, but with having already pre ordered NSLU, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Windwaker, DKC Tropical Freeze, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Project X Zone, Shin Megami Tensei 4, Zelda Link Between Worlds, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Arkham Origins (and Blackgate), Rayman Legends, AND a PS4 with Infamous Second Son, I think it would be best not to buy a game twice. Besides, I have a thing for opening my games- I like to see the disc and manual ya know? However, maybe purchasing 2 physical copies would work. Then have 1 to keep sealed on display and 1 open to see and play...

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@GearsOfWarU
Darksiders 2 is a sick donkey game isn't it!!! I wish more people with Wii Us would buy it, especially now since the price is like $30 brand new on Amazon. I sold my PS3 a few months after buying it, and missed alot of those multiplats. Nice to have em on the U, even if it's a sloppy port. Gamepad integration in Darksiders 2 is freikin' timeless! Now that I've tried it, I can't imagine playing the game without it

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@t_vo
Yes it does. Especially when you rebuy $60-$70 hard-to-find games like Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn 3 times, because the seller sent you a scratched up disc, and you despise anything that's not mint ammirite?

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

Yes Sir JaxonH ... Darksiders is one of my favorite games on Wii U ... I've put in 44-45hrs... Stuck on Samel The Demon King ... I would remind it to any and everyone : )