Video: Monolith Soft's X Given More Epic Footage

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Slated for 2014

There was plenty of game footage on show in Nintendo's E3 Direct, with one eagerly awaited trailer being for Monolith Soft's X. First revealed in January, the fresh footage arrived with a vague confirmation of a 2014 release.

Some themes from the first trailer have continued across, such as the use of impressive mechs that can transform into wheeled vehicles or engage in flight, while we saw more of the character traversing an impressive overworld both solo and as part of a team. A potential insight into the storyline showed an urban environment at the start with a countdown on a large tower, but aside from that footage mostly revolved around exploration and action, including an air-based battle.

Check it out for yourself below and let us know what you think.

BenAV

BenAV said:

This is the Wii U game that I'm most excited for.
Most of what we saw today was pretty lackluster, but at least this will keep me a bit hyped up for a while.
Not sure if they can match Xenoblade, but I have faith that it'll be awesome nonetheless.

rjejr

rjejr said:

As a big Xenogears fan (well the first disc anyway, 2nd disc not so much) I'm really looking forward to this one.

Hopefully Nintendo can get Xenoblade Chronicles on the WiiU shop b/c I'm still not buying it from Gamestop, if I could even find it now.

2nd best game of ND, after Bayonetta 2.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Probably my favorite game of the direct. The music and the art have me ready to play this. I'm gussing its going to have a multiplayer mode as well.

SLiM

SLiM said:

Looking forward to this one. Hope Monolith goes all out on it.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Fab! This is going to be a system-seller for sure. I would love to see a re-tuned Xenoblade for Wii U as well!

Ryno

Ryno said:

@rjejr: You wouldn't be able to find Xenoblade at a Gamestop anyway. If you want it you have to get it online from a reseller on a site like Ebay or Amazon.

Fazermint

Fazermint said:

Easily the best-looking game of all time. I can't wait to waste my life on this game.

seronja

seronja said:

i think this is another nintendo/3rd party collaboration for wii u just like Iwata said in january Nintendo wii u direct... i believe this might be xenoblade x phantsy star ( IP from SEGA )

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

If you didn't know its a WiiU game you wouldn't know what platform this was headed too from graphics alone. Stunning.

Volmun

Volmun said:

i am Super hipped for this game it looks amazing and if Xenoblade is enithing to go by this will be a amazing game - im hopeing for a Online co-op or something though as i see "Player 1 player 2 ect" at the side id love to play this with my friends

Linkus

Linkus said:

Now we're talking! This is the wii u game I'm looking forward to the most. But I wonder what's happening to the new Zelda (not wind waker hd). There wasn't any info about it, was it? Was hoping to see at least a teaser from it.

Linkus

Linkus said:

But I guess it aint over yet, maybe they are saving the best for last...

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

Dat draw distance...

I can't believe it's being released in 2014! I expected a 2015 release, to be honest...but knowing Nintendo, this will end up being delayed -______-

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

Funny story; I was looking at my email when this started and didn't look back until right around 0:37. Before it snapped to the robot, I swear I thought it was an F-zero trailer.

urosalez

urosalez said:

Awesome!!! Xenoblade is a great game and the highlight of the Wii in my opinion, and I will be getting a Wii U because of this game.

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

Want to hear something hilarious, guys? My brother said Call of Duty: Ghosts looks better than this game...

Needless to say, I'm not talking to him about videogames. Ever. Again.

smashbrolink

smashbrolink said:

Ha!
So much for Wii U having "graphics so weak that they're irrelevant".
Monolith Soft has taken the reigns of Squaresoft, in my opinion.
They're destined for GREAT THINGS, and Nintendo is incredibly fortunate to have them under their wing.

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

Nintendo and Monolith need to get this game properly finished and released ASAP, it could just be one of those killer titles that make Sony/MS owners want to purchase a WiiU.

BeeZeroOne1

BeeZeroOne1 said:

Goosebumps every time I watch that trailer. Xenoblade is one of my all-time favourite games, and this is just what I want for the Wii U.

gefflt

gefflt said:

Just received the soundtrack of Xenoblade Chronicles through the mail and I'm so excited to hear it!

I can't wait to play this game although I have to say I'm dreading having to explore the vast skies... exploring the grounds, while extremely fun, took enough time. :P

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Wow, impressive!

I don't know who they think they're kidding, though, with the secrecy behind it. It's almost certainly a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles.

Dodger

Dodger said:

As far as being able to find Xenoblade at Gamestop, I have done it recently. You have to use the find@store feature to see where it is and then put it on hold to have any chance but it still is the cheapest option even if you have to drive a bit.

Looking forward to it. I'm curious if they can maintain the same scale while having to develop on an HD system.