The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD Sails Onto Wii U in October

Posted by Mike Mason

Pieces of heart

Nintendo has finally confirmed that we'll be able to join Link on the high seas in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD in October 2013.

As the remake of the GameCube classic will be displayed in glorious 1080p on Wii U, Toon Link should look sharper than ever. As well as the improved visuals, there's also some enhanced Miiverse functionality: you'll be able to write messages in bottles and send them off to distant shores to be picked up by other players. If you don't fancy typing a letter, pop in a screenshot instead.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD will be released in October 2013 — we're going to need that Triforce of Courage to get us through the next few long months of waiting. This trailer might help.

onlyaman

onlyaman said:

The bottle feature sounds really neat. I wonder if there is a way to filter out spoilers though?

rjejr

rjejr said:

Guess I'm lucky I haven't played this yet, I like the graphics a lot better than the cell shaded original. Even though it's still cell-shaded, it's shinier.

BenAV

BenAV said:

It's looking really amazing.
My favourite Zelda game and I really can't wait to play it again on my Wii U.
One of the highlights of the Nintendo Direct, even though I knew it was coming.

Mr-DNA

Mr-DNA said:

"In the original game we had the Tingle Tuner..."

Oh, cool, they're going to use the GamePad as a GBA. I loved the Tingle Tuner!

"Now you can send messages to other games because why not."

...wut

element187

element187 said:

No price information, they will probably tell us as it gets closer to launch this fall.

XavandSo

XavandSo said:

Is it native 1080p? Or upscaled? If it's native, it'll shut the haters up. I had no doubt Nintendo would push the Wii U graphically. MK8 looks like a PS4/One title, for Christ's sake! The Wii had games at 360/PS3 levels (Galaxy), so I knew it would happen again. GG Nintendo, you win E3.

Emaan

Emaan said:

This looks so beautiful! Can't wait~

Also the Miiverse feature sounds really cool.

KAHN

KAHN said:

pretty much the only game i was looking forward to, and they didn't even show that much. they didnt show much of anything. that is just bullcrap.

Gobelee

Gobelee said:

My stream kicked the bucket in the middle of the new bottle feature explanation. Can somebody give me a quick run through of what it is? Is it like the GBA link up from the GC?

EpicNavi

EpicNavi said:

I was hoping they would add extra content to the game. I don't want to pay too much for a game I already have,

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Suddenly I feel a cold coming on the day after its released & a need to burn a sick day.

Stark_Nebula

Stark_Nebula said:

Despite the new speed sailing, I'll probably just use normal sailing majority of the time. The point was to admire the ocean when sailing, not to boycott it because "it was boring." It was part of the experience. It'll come in handy for post-game collecting, though. But we had the Ballad of Gales for that.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

A drop dead gorgeous remake to the most boring Zelda known to man. I would rather go through the CDi games!....Ok maybe not. :p

Stark_Nebula

Stark_Nebula said:

@WaveBoy Someone doesn't know how to take a deep breath and let things sink in, huh? It's not a consumable, it's a experience. Don't chug it, let it be absorbed though your skin.

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

Did they say anything about inclusion of the Dungeons thar were removed from the Game Cube version ?

SLiM

SLiM said:

My birthday is in October. Can't think of anything better to ask for :-D

TheAdrock

TheAdrock said:

Great game. Nintendo needs to do this HD re-render treatment to Twilight and Skyward as well.

@WaveBoy , anybody who publicly states that WW was boring is either a troll or is mentally handicapped.

Williaint

Williaint said:

I can't wait! I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is what LTTP would look like in 3D. Then Again... " Link Between Worlds" is sort of 3D...
@Stuffgamer1
That would be a pretty good way to do it. You could even simply have that function from the G-pad.

@XavandSo
720 by 480 is scale-able to "HDMI", with little/no problems... That is what the Wii used. Actually, I believe NSMBU and some other early Wii U titles did, too. These newer games are equal to their competition, in terms of resolution. The difference is, Xbone and PS4 have greater CPU's (contrary to popular belief, it doesn't have a lot to do with the hard drive space — 500GB of internal space does not make something more powerful or faster), so they can process more textures at once... the reality is, from everything I've seen, None of these millions of textures are complimentary to gameplay... @URAlsr That was a very, very sad comment...

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

@Mr-DNA Yeah, that was a little weird. I can only assume that they're bringing the functionality, but it was a weird way to bring it up.

Miss_Dark

Miss_Dark said:

I'm surprised, the graphics are a lot better (although the GC graphics were fantastic too imo)

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

I actually thought Nintendo would revolutionist the menu system using the touch screen but looking at the video it seems they didn't. I love the GC version and it is one of the best Zelda games.

fluggy

fluggy said:

Watching this trailer in HD on Nexus 7 and I gotta say .... I can't see much if any improvement!! I wouldnt even call it a remake. This looks exactly the same as the original. A remake is what Resident Evil 1 on Gamecube was .... A different game with new completely redone visuals, new levels and new enemies!! Not excited bout this at all. Still have GC and original game .... This seems like a cheap, lazy cash in - instead of remaking a game that required a spit polish! Think of a Super Metroid remake with intense atmosphere, a living, lush organic Crateria, 1st person x-ray scan/boss fights! Now That would be a remake!! This is just a carbon copy of a game that's not really that old anyway!

timp29

timp29 said:

I don't think this cel shading really does full HD justice. I mean the water breaking at the front of the boat when sailing still looks bland. I hoped they would get a bit more out of it.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@URAmk2

The sailing, lack of dungeons and soundtrack completely killed it for me.
But like that other 'nose up in the air' user mentioned in his oh so sweet reply, I'm mentically handicap because i didn't enjoy Wind Waker(not to mention i'm not a big fan of '3D' Zelda) as much as he did back when he unrapped it for the first time when he was 5 years old. Love them gamecube babies, if i'm wrong, well....:*

URAmk2

URAmk2 said:

@WaveBoy
i feel ya on that. those issues made it the worst one... especially the sailing. i still had fun with it. that other guy just cant handle your opinion. its truly sad.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@URAmk2

One user mentioned that it's all about admiring the sailing, sitting back and taking it all in. the experience.....the expereince, oh my. lol At first the sailing was tolerable, but after a while it was just dreadful. Even the dungeons were painfully boring including the boss battles. At least the Updated HD visuals will make sailing just a little more enjoyable if anything. :p

Now, I absolutely love the visuals/art direction of WW, but that's where the love ends...I had a far greater time trudging through the underrated Phantom hour glass in comparison to my lack luster 'forced my self to finish' expereince with WW. In terms of 3D Zelda, Skyward sword looks far more up my alley.

skjia

skjia said:

@WaveBoy Just out of curiosity, how many times did you play Wind Waker? I didn't hate it the first time but I did grow tired of the sailing and thought the games was pretty good, not great. I ended up feeling a little disappointed.

But then I played it again a couple years ago and it quickly jumped up to one of my favorite Zeldas ever. The art is awesome (as you mentioned), graphically it's one of the best looking games of its generation, and surprisingly I even ended up enjoying the sailing.

Anyway, I see where you're coming from and I thought I'd throw that out there. I'm just excited to play any Zelda in HD. lol.

iHailPhilly

iHailPhilly said:

One of my favorite Zelda games, I loved this on GameCube!! No doubt will I be buying this!!