Rumour: Third Sonic Game in Nintendo Deal Not Actually Coming in 2013

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

3DS version of Winter Olympics title is also very likely

Yesterday we reported on a translated press release from Nintendo Germany, which seemed to suggest that all three Nintendo-exclusive Sonic games would arrive in 2013. Admittedly, that would cause a fair bit of release congestion as the year wears on, and Rich George of IGN has tweeted to state that he's spoken to someone within SEGA who's debunked that idea.

If this is correct than the German press release was either incorrect or mis-interpreted, but either way it seems more likely that one of these titles would arrive next year. In other far less surprising revelations, George states that Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games will also be released on 3DS. Though Nintendo only showed the Wii U version in its recent Nintendo Direct, it's inevitable that the Olympic tie-in will once again grace the handheld, especially as both versions typically sell so well.

So there you have it, another dose of Sonic news to enjoy. It's nice to be talking about the blue blur again, and hopefully Sonic Lost World won't disappoint when it arrives.

[via gonintendo.com]

Related Games

Midnight3DS

Midnight3DS said:

Well, lucky me. Having never played a Nintendo Olympics game, it would be some fresh fun on 3DS.

Joe1113

Joe1113 said:

Still cool to know there'll be a third mystery sonic game on the way! I'd love a remake of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle or sequel on the 3DS!

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Did anyone honestly expect all 3 Sonic games this year? I sure as hell didnt! It'd be alot wiser to spread them out a bit....

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

For a split second I thought it said that the third Sonic game wouldn't be a Nintendo exclusive. Considering it could've been that this doesn't seem so bad.

rjejr

rjejr said:

The 3DS version of the Olympics game is going to need to be played on the XL just so they can fit all of that title on the screen when it boots up.
Though I suppose they can split it over both screens on the normal 3DS:

Mario and Sonic at the Sochi

2014 Olympic Winter Games

Yeah I guess that will work. Though I still think "Mario and Sonic: Winter Sports Resort" would have sold longer and better. Oh well, guess nothing can compete with WiiU FitU.

As for the 3rd Sonic game, like others have said, I can wait.

When it rains it poors, when it's dry its dry as a bone.
Some day that will be the WiiU 2013 year in review title.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I would be fine with this considering all the games coming out this year anyway. And as far as Mario & Sonic, I think I'll just get the Wii U version only, unless the 3DS version has a cool story mode and more dream events.

Mizzah_Tee

Mizzah_Tee said:

And so this is the new world of journalism. You don't have to research leads and contact sources yourself, just raid the twitter account of other "journalists." Print media and investigative journalism is dying because of this?!? We are all effed!

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I wonder what the mystery Sonic game could be. At least we will see more of Sonic Lost World at E3.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is good news? This is good news for three reasons:
1. So we'll have a Sonic game to look forward to in 2014.
2. So the Nintendo-Sonic deal can last a little longer.
3. We don't need any more rushed Sonic games...

Oscarsome

Oscarsome said:

I hate those Olympic games. They're trash and a quick money-making scheme for Sega and Nintendo. I'm just happy Lost World is coming.

Austroid

Austroid said:

Good to hear! At least there won't be another painful waiting time like post-Generations for Sega to announce the 2014 game; since we know that's when it'll come out.

Can't wait for Lost World!

hydeks

hydeks said:

Cool! Happy not all three are coming this year, gives more hope for another Sonic platform coming next year, other than a platformer and two party-style games. Thanks Rich! You and Audrey are the only reasons I visit that horrible IGN site lol

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

These are some good news because the third game may be something mind blowing epic like Sonic Adventure 3 or a Mario and Sonic 3D platform crossover or at least a new NiGHTS or Shadow game if possible. :D

PopiPenguin

PopiPenguin said:

@ClassicSonicFan Oh hey there is that you SammyClassicSonicFan on Youtube ? Saw your videos and pretty much agreed. The people on the net are pretty fierce and all so maybe you could try a real word blog since I think your voice isn't that fit for videoblogging and tone down your level of aggressiveness. You still don't deserve those bad comments though. That was just harsh.

Back to topic, the 3rd Sonic game is probably gonna be a remake or crossover. It might be a RPG again like Dark Chronicles made by the PSO2 team. Now that would be awesome.

Ras

Ras said:

I'm glad youse are calling him Robotnik. Eggman is dumb (though, unfortunately, what we're stuck with now).

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@siddyp00h A bit melodramatic of you. A Nintendo source suggested three games this year, the Nintendo lead editor of one of the world's biggest entertainment sites has been told otherwise, and this one has a rumour tag applied for good measure. This isn't an investigative piece for award submission, it's a little news article to keep readers posted.

We do lots of diverse kinds of articles, some short daily news pieces, others being features, interviews, reviews etc. It's regular daily news, it has its own place, and your comment couldn't have been more wildly out of context.