Prince Vultan Soars Onto UK Television To Promote Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

Posted by Damien McFerran

Larger-than-life actor Brian Blessed voices new TV advert

Legendary British actor Brian Blessed has lent his unique vocal talents to the UK television advert for Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D.

Blessed, who has starred in Flash Gordon, Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, bellows over the top of gameplay footage taken from the recent 3DS release, which is an updated port of the 2010 Wii original.

You can view the commercial — and appreciate Blessed's dulcet tones — below. Let us know if you've picked the game up, and what you think of it.

dumedum

dumedum said:

nice, I love this actor. The Black Adder yes, but that's the weakest season. He was Long John Silver.

edhe

edhe said:

CHISWICK! FRESH HORSES!!

BLOOD! DEATH! WAR! RUMPY PUMPY! TRIUMPH!!

GORDON'S ALIVE!!

BeeZeroOne1

BeeZeroOne1 said:

This is by far the greatest advert Nintendo UK has ever produced. Brian Blessed voice overs should become standard.

Haywired

Haywired said:

He also did the voiceover for the WIi "Nintendo Selects" ads if I remember and also may have done the one for Mario & Sonic at the London Olympics as well.

Anyway, Nintendo UK should be congratulated as (while I'm probably about to jinx it...) their commercials have been really good again of late (the results of which are perhaps being shown in the decent 3DS game sales). Fun, cool, quirky and actually showing game footage (just like the superb US ones that we've seen recently)! Infinitely better than their two stock commercials from last gen: a) Models who've just stepped off a L'Oreal advert smiling at console, or b) nauseatingly cheesy and unconvincing story about how game brought real family/D-list celebrity's family closer together...

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

I know Nintendo doesn't want to hear it, and fans will lynch me for it, but maybe it's time they gave Retro a crack with the plumber.

Mizzah_Tee

Mizzah_Tee said:

Wasn't he Pippy Long Stockings' dad, the Captain in that movie? Loved him in Flash Gordon.

edhe

edhe said:

I'll always remember him as a guest host on Have I Got News For You.

Speaking about the advert, I'm sure he'll add some cred. He's obviously well known in Britain. Every morning, the people of Britain wake to his voice booming across the countryside.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

Thought Nintendo might have dropped him after his drunken antics on Rainbow Road with Goldie!Untitled

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

@hydeks: No way! I'm an Aussie and I've seen and heard him on TV! Anybody remember The Big Knights? Anyone...?...no...? Just me then.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

@Damo It's by a guy on Facebook called Jim'll Paint It.He takes bizarre requests,picks the most popular and goes to work on Microsoft Paint.The guys a genius,check him out!Yer gonna be in stitches at Ted Danson and Moira Stewart haha

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I shall never criticise Nintendo's advertising campaigns again :') This made me cry with laughter!
For the record I believe he voiced Clayton in Tarzan as well, Nintendo clearly picked him for his expertise on GO-RI-LAS!

hydeks

hydeks said:

@GamerZack7 Alot of things popular in UK and Australia, we never heard of in Canada, unfortunately. It took ALOT of researching this guy to find out who he is, but he's actually really funny! I wonder why he's not popular in North America oO