Nintendo Download: 6th June (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A New Leaf is turned, Wii U goes retro, discounts and Neo Geo goodness

It's Nintendo Download time once again, North America, with your goodies a little scaled back compared to the extravagances of last week. Alongside confirmation that there'll be extensive footage and coverage from the upcoming E3 Nintendo Direct on the eShop platforms, we have a mix of an eagerly anticipated 3DS retail title alongside some discounts and retro goodies. Let's get right to it.

Wii U Virtual Console

Spelunker (Tozai Games, $4.99) — Another retro NES platformer, with this one placing an emphasis on exploration and quick puzzle solving. We'll be taking a fresh look, but we did feel that an absurd level of difficulty and frustrating design — perhaps linking back to its days on pre-NES systems — made this one very hard to recommend; you can see why in our Wii Virtual Console Spelunker review.

Wii U Famicom Anniversary Promotion

Yoshi (Nintendo, $0.30) — This next part of the Famicom Anniversary monthly promotion will be available from 12th June, leaving you with just under a week to grab Super Metroid with some spare change. Although bearing the Yoshi name, this is at its core a decent if unspectacular puzzle game, enjoyable but not overly compulsive. We'll cast fresh eyes over this version, but until then you can check out our 3DS Virtual Console Yoshi review.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discount

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte, $9.99 until 27th June, normally $19.99)

Wii U eShop Permanent Discount

Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (Ubisoft, $29.99, was originally $49.99)

3DS Retail Download

Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo, $34.99) — What can we say about this one? It's been high on the hype charts for a number of weeks now, and will be available to download from midnight on 9th June; this may be a title perfectly suited to being easily accessible on your SD card. It's more of what fans have come to love in the franchise, with plenty of online fun and Mayoral duties to freshen up the experience. It's been critically acclaimed, and you can check out our Animal Crossing: New Leaf review for our glowing recommendation.

Wii Virtual Console

Sengoku 3 (D4 Enterprise, 900 Nintendo Points) — This side-scrolling action fighting series returns to the Wii Virtual Console, continuing the steady flow of Neo Geo releases. This one adds a ninja (shinobi) gauge that's charged up to unleash powerful attacks; it's the final title in this series, so we'll see whether it's a fitting finale in our upcoming review.

So there you have it, one blockbuster release being joined by some discounts and retro releases. Let us know what you'll be downloading in the comments and poll below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (388 votes)

Spelunker (Wii U Virtual Console)

Yoshi (Wii U Virtual Console Famicom Promotion)

17%

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (Wii U eShop permanent discount)

Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS retail download)

38%

Sengoku 3 (Wii Virtual Console)

Nothing for me this week

34%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Wasn't sure how much space Animal Crossing takes up (still can't seem to find the answer) and to keep from having to spend money on another SD card in case I didn't have enough space, I just preordered the reatail version (though I'm questioning my choice of that....i see where downloading it come be helpful)

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Wow that is one cruddy week leading up to E3. Sure hope they are saving some big guns to announce during the Nintendo E3 Direct.

And I don't count AC: NL in the "cruddy" part. I'm looking at digital only releases. That's a physical title as far as I'm concerned.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I'm downloading nothing. But I've got my Animal Crossing preorder all paid off and ready to go!

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is the closest I've come to choosing the digital option over an available physical copy. I'm not going to, but I can definitely see how it would be tremendously convenient, especially in this particular game's case.

Eisenbolan

Eisenbolan said:

Blah! Nothing for sale for the 3DS except still the Oracle games. Really? They have 700 plus games including DSIware and none are on sale?

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Well that's pretty sad, oh well I will be getting animal crossing retail and will continue to play the oracle games.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I'll be getting the 30 cent Yoshi, and the retail Animal Crossing NL which will later be switched to digital through the Save Data Transfer Tool.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

Nothing for me this week since I buying Animal Crossing retail and I guess it's good for me that there's no new 3DS eshop (other then AC which I'm getting retail) so I can continue saving for Shantae on the 20th and any possible GameGear games.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf will be my 19th download also available at retail in stateside and the 92nd 3DSDL+3DS retail download combined. As for Virtual Console, I have the complete collection from the 3DS and Wii U services.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

so only one Wii U VC title this week? that's kind of disappointing. I was hoping they would keep it at least 2 a week and hopefully get better over time

evanescent_hero

evanescent_hero said:

Unless Trine's price went up, it's actually $14.99 normally...unless I got it on sale. It was the very first Wii U game I downloaded.

Eisenbolan

Eisenbolan said:

Update!!! Wheee. Next week according to the Nintendo official site Bugs Vs Tanks is coming out June 13th. Wish it was this week. But its something to look forward to.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

Not much going on this week, but I suspect they've got a post-E3 blitz queued and ready to begin next week.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@evanescent_hero It's been on sale a lot, including an early 25% drop. Pretty sure its standard price is $19.99, because it was the most expensive option on launch day :)

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

WHY THE FUDGE ARE THEY STILL ADDING GAMES TO THE OLD Wii SHOP CHANNEL!! That is very aggravating to me the Wii ran it's course time to let the freaking thing go it already has 500 games on the Wii Shop Channel while the Wii U is sitting at what ONLY LIKE 12 RIGHT NOW!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING OVER THERE!?!

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Can anyone tell me if this is the same game that was on a cart for th C64 along with Flimbo's Quest back in the day (in Europe)? Or am I mixing it up with another game?

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

I was hoping for a Project X Zone demo, wonder when we will get it since Europeans are getting a second demo pretty soon.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@ThomasBW84 Yeah its been $20 from the start!

Anyways, next week I'm getting Mighty Switch Force! 2, Mutant Mudds Deluxe, Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicle of Mystara (It could have been four instead of three, if it weren't for LEVEL-5 robbing hype for a June 13 release of Bugs. vs Tanks. They have mentioned it will NOT come out on that day (at least in the US)).

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

As cool as it is to get Yoshi for 30 cents, I think I can deal with booting the Wii Virtual Console to play it. Money's tight and I'd rather get Donkey Kong for 30 cents next month :D

Other than that, nothing for me this week.

Shworange

Shworange said:

It'll be a sleepless night on Saturday as I eagerly wait for midnight to download. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to download a 1 gb file. I have the fastest Internet comcast has. Coffee will be flowing long into the morning in my town of Chimeria... Unless I change it to the town of Bad Wolf. Maybe Skaro? Dang it, I can't settle on the name!

Wyvernqueen

Wyvernqueen said:

Animal Crossing for me. I switched to fully Digital for any game with that option a while back.

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

I almost chose Animal Crossing, but I'm not downloading it.... I'm getting it retail.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

I may get AC if BB will accept a certain game for trade in. It will be physical of course.

Selene

Selene said:

Gonna be downloading AC on Sunday, my 2nd digital retail game after I got Starfox for free on the NA promo. So looking forward to this game :-)

ungibbed

ungibbed said:

I already bought Trine 2 the last time it was on sale for ten bucks. I wish I had an option to get the previous 30 cent games as I had my Wii U just now for a month.

One thing that has me grumbling is the discontinuation of network services for the original Wii. I used the news channel quite often. No more multiplayer MK Wii channel update. All the extras on the Wii I used are going away forever. I find that a shame. Oh well...

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

@Joshers744

i've seen between 6,000 and 9,000 blocks needed for AC:NL. supposedly the japanese version takes the most, whilst ours takes less.

beat

beat said:

aww. man! no demos? D: well that's okay. im finally getting pokemon black 2 tomorrow! :D

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Seriously? Spelunker and Yoshi are our VC offerings this week? How lame. I dont even think yoshi is worth .30. I had it on NES back in the day and even back then when i was 4 i thought it was garbage. It'd be nice if we could get at least one good VC game each week.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Definitely Animal Crossing, your review made me want the game lol But, I will be getting it from retail, not download.

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

<tumbleweed rolls through the eShop>

Just Yoshi for me. Can't beat that price.

Anybody know when Pinball Arcade is going to arrive?

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well... nothing for me again. For the third week. But it's not so bad - at least they confirmed Game Gear games... eventually they'll come...

Ren

Ren said:

those poll results say that most of us here are looking for 3DS, don't have a WiiU, or if we do we're not sitting around waiting with bated breath for more classics to play on a brand new shiny HD console.

Nintendude789

Nintendude789 said:

Aw. Nothing new for me this week. I'm not a fan of Animal Crossing. I'll get Project X Zone instead.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Nintendo really shouldn't abandon their 3DS since it's selling like hotcakes and making them more money at this point than the Wii U. They really need to focus on delivering to current customers, not just trying to hook new ones on to the Wii U. Animal Crossing? That's for babies. Give me some retro goodness, Nintendo! I'm not complaining too harshly, though. Last week's Zelda Oracle package is amazing and I'm still playing those. Wonderful games at a wonderful price!

Sonic1994CD

Sonic1994CD said:

And other Neo Geo game for the Wii Virtual Console. I think the Virtual Console has seen better days.

paburrows

paburrows said:

Slim pickings for 3DS this week, but thats ok I need to catch up on Fire Emblem and Super Mario DLC.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

Sengoku 3.

Apparently one of the top beat em ups of all time.

Glad its finally on the VC!

Hordak

Hordak said:

@Aldebaran I always loved the first two Sengoku games but I've never had the chance to play 3. I'm thrilled to finally get the chance!

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

Animal crossing is the first retail game ever I truly considered downloading. I'm still getting a physical copy (pre-ordered) but it was a tough choice. I think while I'm at gamestop I'm goin' to get Lego City now that I have enough money.

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

I picked up Xevious and Ice Climber from the Wii U eShop this morning. I have $0.31 left over to pick up Yoshi next week. :D

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Hoping for some long awaited VC games next week being E3 week. I remember getting Links Awakening when they released it right after E3 as soon as I got the chance.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Nothing for me, though Trine 2 at that price looks pretty good.... maybe I'll grab it if I can find people on my current friend's list who play

Aldebaran

Aldebaran said:

@SuperMario2099 Sengoku 3 is considered by many (including myself) one of the best 2D beat em ups of all time plus the game really pushed Neo Geo capabilities (like Last Blade 2 or GMOTW)

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

New Leaf. What did you expect? I just wish I didn't have to take the ACT test the day before...I may try to get a deluxe digital promo code in order to get $5 off ACNL (you can use deluxe digital codes on 3DS as well right?).

OptimisticLink

OptimisticLink said:

Not interested in Animal Crossing, and I already have Yoshi on my 3DS. Pretty much nothing for me now.

jayblue

jayblue said:

pure cack again in europe anyway,weres earthbound,shadowrun,secret of mana,super mario kart,tloz,and they bring us this crap still need to hoof my snes down to play any good snes games.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I'm booting up the eShop and downloading Animal Crossing the second the clock reaches 9pm on the 8th. (Woot for "midnight releases" on Pacific time!)

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Getting AC: NL - 3DS at midnight! :D

Love seeing these permant discounts on wii u games means by the time I get my wii u the games will be cheaper. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

RR529

RR529 said:

No 3DS offerings this week...

Oh well, I'm trying to save up for a retail purchase anyways.

Zellybeanie

Zellybeanie said:

I'm going to set my alarm for Sunday, then I'm going into hibernation until the download is available.

G'night.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Getting Animal Crossing! But... I think I just clicked the Marvel Avengers bubble by accident.

... doop. :P

Lobster

Lobster said:

I'm not downloading Animal Crossing... I'm going out and getting the 3DS XL bundle on Sunday! :D

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

It is a shame Nintendo don´t put more consoles in the virtual console. Sengoku 3 could have been released in Wii and Wii U at the same time (like the DSiware games comes at the same time to 3DS eshop).

At this rythm we couldn´t see more than 200 VC games in Wii U in 5 or 6 years while the Wii beginned with 4 or 5 games each week for multiple consoles (and now is 1 per 2 weeks but at least is not dead).

I want Sengoku 3 but it i don´t know if only have this or to download the 2 previous Sengoku.

brucelebnd

brucelebnd said:

the Wii U VC has been a HUGE disappointment for me. it seems like Nintendo is just porting over the Wii VC library piecemeal. so maybe in 5 or 6 years they'll finish it. port over the old stuff but seriously put something NEW on the Wii U VC, IDK GBA games? or GC games?

Nintendo is just being lazy.

i love Nintendo but the Wii U VC is a HUGE let down

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Saving my money for Shantae, Mighty Switch Force 2, or some DSi-ware apps/games. Definitely getting Oracle of Ages either today, or next week. Actually, I might hold off, until near the last minute, seeing if anything else I want more comes to the shop. I already d/l-ed Seasons last week, just a few days after I finally beat Link's Awakening in about 2 months more than 1 year, since I d/l-ed it.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I totally forgot that New Leaf was $35 instead of $40. I am still getting the normal retail version, but since I also have to get The Last of Us, then any discount is surely appreciated.

slidecage

slidecage said:

glad there is nothing in this week a way.... Finally took my VITA ONLINE and just blew 100+ over there... With 20 download games i doubt i need anything more anytime soon LOL....

One nice thing will say about nintendo... at least you dont have to go out and spend 80 Bucks for a 32 GB memory card for the FREAKING SYSTEM

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

This is the first time I can remember nothing coming out for the 3DS eShop. Retail download doesn't count.

sonicfan1373

sonicfan1373 said:

@brucelebnd

They said GBA games will come later this year, I think they will make an announcement (hopefully a brief one) about future VC titles for 3DS and Wii U at E3.

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

Possibly getting Animal Crossing, but still deciding against Project X Zone. Also, Spelunker.....wow.

Joygame51

Joygame51 said:

If i didn't want a 3ds so bad, after 2 weeks no dsi and a crappy no 3ds download i might actually switch to....wait... there is nothing good to switch to!!! DANG

Gregor

Gregor said:

@grumblegrumble AC is for children? Says who? Just because you don't like the gameplay doesn't make you the arbiter to decide which age group it is for.

Williaint

Williaint said:

I've actually decided to buy AC...
I didn't think I was going to, but Now... I'm actually interested... To download, or not to download.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

DL AC:NL and Yoshi since it is el cheapo. Need to learn about that Neo Geo game though, seems highly praised in some circles...hmm.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

sengoku 3 right here.
everyone wanted it and here it is.
yet the votes are down for it.
oh well, im happy with it.