Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Download Needs 6,789 of Your 3DS Blocks

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A smidge bigger than Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team — known as Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. in Europe — hits in its European Bros. form on 12th July, and around a month later on 11th August in North America. As the latest in the adventure RPG series from AlphaDream, there's every chance that it could be a fairly lengthy — and of course quirky — title.

With so many 3DS gamers "going digital" due to the cart free convenience, we can let you know that the brother's latest caper will require 6,789 blocks of SD card memory, which equates to a smidge under 0.83 GB in real terms. For comparison, the hugely popular Animal Crossing: New Leaf is 6,336 blocks in Europe, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is 14,284 blocks and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D is a beastly 17,693 blocks. Overall, the new RPG will come in at the lower end of retail file sizes.

A small file size doesn't mean it won't be a big adventure, of course. Are you looking forward to Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, and are you considering going the download route?

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Is there any reason that`s been explained why that new character looks so much like Pac-Man?

WiiULoveGBA

WiiULoveGBA said:

I will be downloading this. I was just thinking tho how us eShoppers really need the security of a real network account system for our purchases.

Nintendo, if something happens to my hardware I need a better system than crossing my fingers hoping customer service can restore my purchases!

tchaten

tchaten said:

Getting the cart version probably - games like ACNL need the digital download - this one will be one I play until completion, but don't see the value of having it always on my 3DS

Mizore

Mizore said:

Chances are I'm going digital with this, doubt I'd ever wanna get rid of a M&L game. (still have Bowser's Inside Story, lol)
Anyways....Donkey Kong is bigger than Monster Hunter, lulz....

rjejr

rjejr said:

Thanks for the blocks - GB translation. Does Nintendo even sell SD cards with the number of blocks listing on them? Does the WiiU do blocks or GB, or does N not even give those?

I've been a huge fan of the Paper Mario series yet I've never played any of these (though TBH I'm not exactly clear where 1 series ends and another begins since the 1st paper game wasn't even paper just RPG) but this one looks epic.

Kind of weird that the game has "Team" in the title but it's only a single player game, but it looks like a take-turns kind of team so I guess it's ok. Wouldn't mind a WiiU 2-player follow-up though :-)

Zach777

Zach777 said:

And Resident Evil Revelations is 27,940 blocks so if you make a list that tops it all. Kid Icarus is not even on the eShop because it would probably take up its own 4GB SD card...

Dezsi

Dezsi said:

Mario & Luigi is one of my favorite series. It's hilarious, the gameplay is excellent, you never get tired of the battles, the controls are tight, and it's colorful. Also, it's hilarious. :D

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I'm getting it on cart, like I always do. Still need to get my hands on AC: NL before, though.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Won't be getting this one for a few months after it launches in the U.S., most likely, because there are other things that I want more, but when I eventually get it, I am definitely going the download route.

hamsterfactor

hamsterfactor said:

I'm a huge fan of the Mario & Luigi series (even though I just beat Superstar Saga a few weeks ago for the first time), so I've already pre-ordered this one :) Really excited!

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

Already pre-ordered this, I prefer physical copy anyway. Only game I've ever bought digitally, aside from VC, is Animal Crossing. It just makes it that much easier to switch between games.

Excited to get this.. haven't played this series since the GBA Superstar Saga, hopefully this is as good as I remember that one being.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

@ThomasBW84 I'd rather have the Bros. tacked on to the end of the title and receive it in July than no Bros. and receive it in August. Consider yourself lucky my friend! This time.... This time. ;) Anyhow, I can't wait for this game. I love these Mario & Luigi RPG's.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

I am so excited for this game :D I have played Superstar Saga and Partners in time. I still have to play Bowser's Inside Story. I am on the fence about this. If I buy physical I will have to import it and pay extra but I get the box and a shareable copy. If I download, I can never share the game but it is more instant than the physical and I will have to pay less.

Nevertheless, this is on my must buy list :D

AVahne

AVahne said:

@rjejr
Wii U displays GBs, which makes me wonder why Nintendo hasn't translated 3DS over to bytes yet.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

Absolutely cannot wait for this game! Day one, cart purchase. With games like this, Zelda and DK, my 3DS will be busy. On the shelf, my poor Vita... it's only salvation is the upcoming Ys... :(

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

What a surprise. I'll be downloading this.

I've been a fan of Mario & Luigi until Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story came in :( Hopefully this one will bring me back to the series.

Kaabiitorori

Kaabiitorori said:

Man, this is another one I gotta pick up sooner or later, but not downloadable though. Hope I can make it some room on my 3DS after finishing a couple of more games!

Meanwhile in Japan, they will get this alongside Mario & Luigi:

Untitled

Wish it was released overseas as well... .w.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Koto - thanks, good to know. If I wind up w/ the Basic w/ the 8GB I have a feeling I'll be paying alot of attention to those numbers.

@k8sMum - I assumed the "Team" referred to the brothers, but I have 2 sons who would really like to play as the brothers at the same time. Like I said, maybe a WiiU sequel. BTW - very nice name and icon

SuperMinusWorld

SuperMinusWorld said:

I think that it has such a small file size because of its use of sprites instead of 3D models. Those other games mentioned were fully 3D-rendered graphics.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I liked Super Mario RPG (Never played it until the wii but it was one of the few 60hz games so I got it and enjoyed it.)
I think I might like this - I would be more likely to get it day 1 if they released the GBA one on VC first.

KongFu

KongFu said:

Thanks NL. This is useful information. Looking forward for more storage specs in the future.

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

I'm skeptical. Bowser's Inside Story was just not up to par as far as the rest of the series goes. This is going to take some convincing to get me back on board.

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

I can't believe it's coming out on July 12th.....

I feel like this one came out of nowhere.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Doesn't neccessarily mean it's a short adventure. There's just not so much space-taking 3D content. From what I've seen, there's a lot of 2D sections, and all the characters are sprites. There's quite a bit of content in AC too!

ThetaRobo

ThetaRobo said:

I'm willing to bet that the FMVs and the higher-poly giant Luigi/ giant bosses (in comparison to Mario) take up most of that space.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

I'll just pick up the physical copy then. The only reason I didn't buy the retail AC: New Leaf is because the limited edition 3DS XL came with it pre-installed, so I had no choice.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

File sizes don't worry me because I rarely get the digital version due to the huge difference in cost compared to retail. I've downloaded 2 full retail games, 1 that was the same cost retail and digital and the second (AC: New Leaf) which was free from the 'So Many Games Promotion'. Nintendo really need to sort out their digital platform, because like me many people are put off digital mainly because of the pricing policy. I had high hopes of going 100% digital with the Wii U, but I've only downloaded eShop exclusives and got physical copies of all the full retail games I have so far. It's defintely looking like I will continue to get all my 3DS and Wii U full retail games boxed, unless there are more 'So Many Games' style promotions.

Dodger

Dodger said:

I rarely buy adventure games as downloads because sometimes there is no replay value to them and I want to sell them. I only download games like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing.

oshawott1122

oshawott1122 said:

going digital this time i have bought retail on every other game except VC and would like to try digital service.

satan915

satan915 said:

It's surprising how small this game is, actually. Think about all that sound/music, character dialogue, how many side quests, different enemies and attacks there are, and just how big the main world is. We can't forget all those dream zones either, such as ~60 Pi'llo zones and those huge Dream point dungeons. Many of the dream zone rooms are huge yet they are only used for simple Luiginary Work Puzzles/Fun as if just to fill up space. Add the improved graphics compared previous Mario and Luigi games, and that should mean even more space. All of that takes up less than a gigabyte!? Madness!!!