Iwata Issues Apology For Technical Difficulties With Nintendo Direct Live Stream

Posted by Orla Madden

Please stop apologising, Iwata

Many Nintendo fans experienced some technical difficulties today during the E3 Nintendo Direct broadcast. Many users weren't able to log on to Nintendo's official website to watch the broadcast and took to social media sites to vent their frustration.

Satoru Iwata took to Facebook to apologise for any hiccups that fans who were unable to watch the presentation at first:

Hello everyone this is Satoru Iwata. Thank you all for watching the Nintendo Direct this morning. I understand that many of you experienced technical issues with the live stream. I apologize and thank you for your patience. We have a lot of exciting news that we would like to share with you. You can watch the entire Nintendo Direct @ E3 2013 here.

Did any of our readers fail to catch any of today's Nintendo Direct? We've been covering all the biggest news from the broadcast, so stick with us.

[via facebook.com]

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Nintendo Life went down for me for awhile. Went over to Nintendo Everything which was really laggy but let me see well enough.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

At the beginning of the Direct on the Nintendo E3 Facebook page, the video kept pausing without skipping. Then it seemed to work fine until the end, when it went off air altogether and I missed the Smash Bros. trailer, which I had to watch on Youtube instead. The games were awesome, but the confusion sure didn't help

I accept Iwata's apology, and I thank him for asking.

MatthewRPG

MatthewRPG said:

Don't apoligize for that, apologize for getting everyone pumped for the direct and then crapping out that rubbish.

The-Chosen-one

The-Chosen-one said:

tnx for the great games you have shown, i am really hyped, for Xenogears, smashbros, mario 3D and Mario kart. ju

Kresslia

Kresslia said:

Cute apology.
The stream cutting out was indeed pretty bad, though. Totally killed my hype. At the end of the day, though, it's about the games, and I do believe there were great games there.

Mortenb

Mortenb said:

I could see it all, although it lagged sometimes. At one point I had to switch to the low quality for it to be watchable.

sonicfan1373

sonicfan1373 said:

They should really switch from Ustream. I notice that whenever the videos have more than 500k viewers it starts to lag and glitch out. I appreciate his apology though.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I basically slept zero hours last night, finally got up at 4:45 and waited for the ND at 7, had lag problems so bad I had to quit and wait for the presentation to show up on the eShop. Stuck around just long enough to see the worst Mario announcement the universe has ever known and proceeded to brood about it for the next hour. Then jumped on the eShop only to have the new Smash character spoiled before I could watch the trailer, then watched the whole conference to be unimpressed by almost everything and to have my soul completely crushed by the revelation that Retro's new game has been another Donkey Kong this whole time.

I thought last year's E3 was the worst ever. But even though it was technically richer in content, nothing competes with the disappointment this year. I think a piece of my love for Nintendo has permanently broken off and turned to dust.

catsrnice

catsrnice said:

Yeah the e3.nintendo website wasn't working, and Nintendo Life conked out a few seconds in. Luckily I found a working one about 5 minutes in.

irken004

irken004 said:

It was a laggy mess with a cut-off ending. Luckily, the whole thing was uploaded to youtube almost immediately.

iphys

iphys said:

I couldn't access it from Nintendo's site at first, so came to Nintendo Life, but it was lagging like crazy, so I went back to Nintendo's site and got the stream there finally. It was still lagging like crazy, and then it suddenly went off air about 40 minutes in when it should have ended, but it wasn't at the end yet. I had to rewatch the entire thing on youtube after, and there was about 8 minutes that Nintendo had never bothered to stream at the end, I'm guessing because I was 8 minutes behind from all the lag when it actually ended.

Deadstanley

Deadstanley said:

I see the technical difficulties as a good sign that interest is Nintendo is still alive. If people weren't interested, no one would be complaining because there would have been sufficient bandwidth for the handful watching.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

He has a lot more to apologise for than bad latency with the state of the Wii U for (at least) the next year.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

@DerpSandwich Your last paragraph,I couldn't have said it better myself.Never do I hate on Nintendo,not outside my own mind anyway but this was just appaling.The quality of the stream which was practically unwatchable really just summed it all up for me.Even the live updates and comments on here weren't working for me but they did for the other 2 conferences.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

It was lagging for me for about 15 minutes, so I missed quite a bit, then it suddenly jumped far ahead and played fine after that.

Unfortunately by the time I caught up on this site and others with everything I missed... I realized I hadn't missed much. Today was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever felt as a gamer/

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

Guys, stop complaining. Just because you weren't pleased doesn't mean that it was bad. It just means that you take things too hard and should probably just leave this planet because I hate knowing that there are human beings like you on this earth who have to complain about every single thing. So what if it was a little disappointing? You probably shouldn't have been looking for news on every single thing that was new. It's like going really deep and finding out everything X & Y have, then being let down when you play it. You destroy your own surprise factor.

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

He is such a gentleman.

A very rare and welcome quality from someone in a position such as his.

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

I almost threw my laptop out the window then I had several friends tell me the same thing that they were lagging, to be honest it hurt me at first, but I still watched the entire stream and then I watched it when it was uploaded on Youtube.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

Well, when the NL servers broke, I missed a lot of the start :P
However, the official website worked fine for me. You pretty much had to use 240p though, kinda diminished the impact of the trailers.

Still, I'm really glad that Iwata even apologises about these problems. It's nice to know that he cares about us.

KAHN

KAHN said:

i tried watching it on NL, but that didnt work, so i had to watch it on the Nintendo Direct site.

2Sang

2Sang said:

@The_Joker I totally agree with you on x and y but this wasnt about the 3ds. Ive played nothing but nintendo since 1998 and I will probably not get a wii u until at least smash bros comes out. Youre what sony and microsoft call a nintendrone

Arcamenel

Arcamenel said:

I had no problems watching the steam here but others did elsewhere. I don't know why they didn't anticipate this considering there have been issues with the streams in past Nintendo Directs.

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

@2Sang Not at all. I respect each company equally. Personally I think the PC is the better than consoles, buuut, first party games are what I want. I will say that the Direct was lacking in a lot of things, but I'm not going to make a fuss and cry foul. I'm more civilized.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

I tried to watch it live stream, but the video wouldn't even show up. Of course I got pissed, but then I remembered that I could watch it later on the eshop. It's all good now though

JactheRipper

JactheRipper said:

YES and the Pokemon Direct is at 9pm ET so Lets hope at 4pm ET Nintendo will have a longer conference i don't think Reggie and miyamoto-san are there for nothing. :)

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

"Please understand...that uStream sucks"

I haven't seen the entire Nintendo Direct...I HAVE seen all the trailer shown at it, though! I will be watching the entire thing in a few minutes, maybe hours.

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

Well every other site had issues with their press conferences so I blame them. I swear its not me

hydeks

hydeks said:

Iwata's a good guy, thanks for the apology, but uStream does really really suck

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

Iwata, you are probably one of the best CEOs ever. Thanks for the apology, even though I didn't watch it live.

By the way, his English was really good throughout the whole Direct!

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

The issue is that it didn't have to be a live stream in the first place
It could've been on their youtube as a live feed, or not make it live at all.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

Thanks for the apology, Mr. Iwata.
I really did enjoy the direct after seeing the individual videos here on Nintendo Life. Good show.

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

I tried 3 sites, the lag was terrible so I watched the sony show instead, by then the ND was on youtube. They need to think of something better.

Relias

Relias said:

Watched it off my 3DS had no problems what so ever.. and loved it.. got me more excited than I thought.. I now want a Wii U.. for Mario Kart 8, Wonderful 101, and the new Mario App.. 2 of the three which is very hard to impress me with.. I have not been this excited in years..

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I had to go back and watch the first 20 minutes because I was having issues. I was going to multiple sites too and the lag was worse than an online match in Brawl. D:

ikki5

ikki5 said:

it is nice to see that they'd take the time to apologize, don't know how many companies would, but I just re-watched it after on their youtube channel which worked great :)

Lin1876

Lin1876 said:

I seem to be the only person in the country who didn't have major issues. I stuttered a bit at the start and conked out about half-way through (nothing refreshing the page couldn't fix), but besides that it worked fine.

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

I ended up missing the first half of it or so, and was finally able to watch the rest in stuttering 240p. . .And then I re-watched the whole thing on YouTube. ;)

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

First five minutes I kept refreshing the page and it wouldn't load. Then Lag, lag, lag...

The halfway through the Zelda video, it jumped directly into a 101 footage. I have no idea how much content was missed interim. After that, mostly smooth sailing...

Issues aside, Mario Kart and 3D World look awesome. I love the idea of the cat powerup, and playing as Peach as well. Hopefully we can use the extra characters without multiplayer. ;)

MeWario

MeWario said:

I saw about 5 seconds of footage for every 30 seconds of freezing. It was terrible and I have a great internet connection. I watched all of E3 up until then no problem. Still, I forgive you Iwata =)

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Sony and/or Microsoft workers and/or fans must have hacked the stream to try and upstage Nintendo! :O

In all seriousness, I think it's great that Iwata-sama took the time to apologise. It really says a lot about Nintendo as a company, which makes me happy that I've stuck with them over the years. :)

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@MeWario
I was thinking it was just my computer during the time, until i logged into NL's E3 thread to see everybody complaining about it. :p It stalled every 4 seconds, then zapped seconds ahead or basically trimmed out a lot of footage making the entire Direct feel half as short and ridiculously butchered. no wonder it felt lacking and so abrupt, i can't judge until i rewatch it again. But as is, it was a messy disaster. :p

dadajo

dadajo said:

I thought this might happened and had nintendolife's broadcast link on a new tab so when the american one failed I could go and watch the European. (At least I think it was the European one since they only showed the European release dates)

pc999

pc999 said:

If they actually invested the money they have instead of apologising...

At least they are polite.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

You got to respect the mans character. The stream was fine for the most part.