Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Slips Onto Wii U This November

Posted by Orla Madden

One for the Winter months

Among previously announced titles such as The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and The Wonderful 101 being shown during the Nintendo Direct broadcast this week, the company revealed Retro Studios' new title in development, Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze.

It was announced that the sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns would release later this year, but now a launch window has been opened, so get ready to battle it out against Vikings with Donkey Kong and his trusty companions this November.

The game will launch in both Europe and North America in November this year, specific dates for each region have yet to be set in stone.

Will Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze be on your wishlist this Christmas? Let us know in the comment section below.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I'm glad it's at least coming soon. But if five years go by and Retro announces DKCR3 I'm flipping out. ;)

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

My Wii (and with it the save file) got stolen so I haven't beaten the first one, but I really liked it and will definitely be getting this one sooner or later.

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

There's absolutely no way I can resist a day-one purchase. NO WAY. I'm so insanely stoked for this game, it's ridiculous.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

Will definitely be picking this up if I have a Wii U at the time.. maybe black friday I'll pick up a Wii U and this plus Wind Waker for a worth while deal.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

If a 3DS stops working and you send it in for repair, are the digital games still saved? With their save data you progressed too?

MeWario

MeWario said:

@Funny_Moblin If they can repair it, then yes. If they can't and replace it instead, like mine, then no. That's why Nintendo needs an account system. If my iPad stops working and I buy a new one then I can just redownload everything that I've purchased before. My 3DS just randomly stopped working a year ago and it couldn't be fixed so they replaced it. I made sure I keeper my SD card and everything but didn't matter, I lost everything.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@MeWario Thank you for the explanation, I'm sorry for your loss of games. I was on the fence of getting Animal Crossing: New Leaf digitally, but maybe I shouldn't. Probably a guarantee that you'll keep a game forever is better than convenience.

MeWario

MeWario said:

@Funny_Moblin I've been tossing up for ages about that myself! There has been some news that Nintendo are finally sussing out an account system so it might be worth the risk. Animal Crossing is made to be on the system all the time :) Only other problem I have with downloadable games is that you can re-sell them. I downloaded NSMB2 because it was way cheaper of the Spain server then here in NZ, but, it is such a disappointing game (worst Mario ever, in my opinion) and I'm stuck with it. Sucks because Mario games always sell for lots. (I would never sell Animal Crossig btw)

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Two days ago, I thought my wallet would get a break in November. It seems that is not the case anymore. Maybe in July...

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

November:

DKC:TF
Zelda:ALBW
Mario Party

Crap.. And that's just November's bank breakers...

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@MeWario Yeah, I understand Animal Crossing is the one game to have at all times, but I'm not taking any risks. Whenever Nintendo decides to implement an account system, I'll be ready to use my friend the Data Transfer Tool (I know you have to pay for the game digitally again, but I'm glad the option is available at all.)

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

"Will Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze be on your wishlist this Christmas?"

It already is! lol

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

For some reason I thought they already said it was coming in November, but I guess they said late 2013 and I assumed it was November, so good for confirmation. I've decided to get it day one rather than wait until Christmas. More Donkey Kong Country, Dixie Kong, Viking animals, and David Wise just hypes me up!

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

That's good. Hopefully it wont be too long before Retro are sent to work on another Nintendo Franchise.

GamerJunkie

GamerJunkie said:

I will be getting this one for sure. One of the few games I'm interested in that were announced as it is 2013 and not over a year away.

Pod

Pod said:

Re-releasing the first game on their crazy popular 3DS, and then half a year later release a gorgeous sequel for the troubled Wii U.

Configuring the new Mario game for Wii U to closely resemble an upgraded version of 3D Land, one of the fastest selling 3D Mario games.

I think these guys know what they're doing. They want all the people with a 3DS to long for the Wii U.

Nomad

Nomad said:

Wasn't expecting this from Retro but now that I've seen it, I'll be definitely getting it this November. Looks excellent.

CliffordB

CliffordB said:

Day One for me also, I'm one of the few/minority that was happy Retro made a new DK game rather than Metroid Prime, not the biggest fan of Metroid Prime myself, but, believe it or not DK was one of the games I was very much hoping for.

So hearing "Tropical Freeze" is on the way later this year was music to my ears, I think the game is looking great!

GamecubeMan

GamecubeMan said:

I want this game: looks better than Super Mario 3D lazy excuse for a Mario game World. :3

banacheck

banacheck said:

Noooo around the same time the PS4 releases, i'll have to but money aside for Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze, wether i play it in Nov is another thing.