Batman: Arkham Origins Has Specific Functionality For Wii U

Posted by Andy Green

WB Montreal not talking about DLC availability

Batman: Arkham Origins is the latest game in the Arkham series and will be appearing on a range of formats in October, including the Wii U.

This isn't the first game in the series to be available on Nintendo's home console as Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition was released upon its launch.

That game had several Wii U specific features and many have been wondering if Origins will get the same treatment.

In an interview with Joystiq, the game's Senior Producer Ben Mattes said the Wii U edition will have specific functionality developed for it but he didn't go into any real detail.

We're not talking about specific features but we're encouraging people to imagine. We obviously paid to attention to the Wii U platform and what sort of functionality makes sense for that platform.

In the same interview, Mattes said WB Montreal - the developer behind this iteration - was not talking about the platforms DLC will be coming to. Recent rumours have been circulating suggesting the Deathstroke DLC, which features two challenge maps and a couple of skins, will not be coming to the Wii U.

An advertisement showing the Deathstroke pack states that DLC is "not available on all platforms". We'll just have to wait and see if the DLC will be available for the Wii U version, but based on the previous track record with the DLC of other games we're not overly optimistic.

What are your thoughts on the Wii U functionality. What do you imagine will be implemented? Let us know in the comment section below.

[via joystiq.com]

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

Never played an Arkham game... But this looks Awsome... Will be one of many Purchase's this Fall on my Wii U ... Stoked!!!

dumedum

dumedum said:

Instabuy if it's anything like Arkham City:AE. This could be the third 3rd party good game to take advantage of the gamepad after Zombi U and AC:AE.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

DLC would be neat, but I doubt it'll come to the Wii U. My bro really likes Deathstroke; Deathstroke is one of his favorite DC characters. It doesn't matter to me if the Wii U doesn't have DLC, I'll just enjoy the other stuff, especially given the success of the predecessors.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

why is DLC not happening on Nintendo platforms? Its very strange. How can these companies keep bagging on the WIi U for lacklustre sales of their games when they keep making their games inferior to other platforms. It doesn't take a genius to realize that having the Wii U game be the same if not better than the other versions will increase sales. But heres hoping that this trend ends soon.

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

This is the game I want the most of everything I saw so far in E3 for the WiiU

deitypower

deitypower said:

I'm going to support any third party game that cares about Wii U. In your face EA!!! Someday, you'll come crawling back to Wii U once its sales start to boom from MK8, SSB, Zelda U and others.

banacheck

banacheck said:

The PS3 get exclusive content so i'll probably be buying this for the PS3, and the fact it's supported with DLC if i want it.

takyon98

takyon98 said:

they might mean that vita and 3DS isnt getting it cause at the end of the AD's at shows vita and 3DS

billychaos

billychaos said:

I have an Alienware PC that runs Batman at more than 60 frames per second (all graphic settings put at highest) using an xbox 360 controller. I much preferred playing the Wii U version specifically for the gamepad. I love my PC a lot, but I plan on getting the Wii U version of the next Batman game. In my opinion, Batman Arkham City took advantage of the gamepad better than any other Wii U game. I tried playing batman without it afterwards and did NOT like the experience as much. I love how the gamepad is basically the computer on his arm. It adds such a nice rpg-ish element.

WiiWillRockU

WiiWillRockU said:

No DLC would be disappointing, but as long as the DLC wasn't additional story, not a deal breaker. I'm looking forward to a Wii U price drop/LE bundle once PS4 and Xbox1 release.

tsm7

tsm7 said:

I love Batman and will buy this on Wii U. I do think most 3rd party support will probably be indie games on eshop which is cool. However, I don't think major third parties will abandon the Wii U. Activision, Ubisoft, WB, and Disney. As long as sales pick up this Christmas they will put games on the system.

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

I'm torn. I'm not sure if I want the Wii U version or the PS3 version.

MiNiStRy

MiNiStRy said:

Problem is no one has really offered much dlc for the console so how do they expect it to sell???

strongest_link

strongest_link said:

This is probably the only upcoming third party Wii U title that I'm super excited about other than Rayman: Legends. Sonic Lost World, has potential. We'll see.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

guess i will be pre ordering this game for the other console then thats all i need to know if the DLC is coming to Wii U or not

krunchykhaos

krunchykhaos said:

@ferthepoet
I disagree. Come holiday season when people are choosing a 400 dollar ps4 or a 300 or 250 dollar wiiu (obviously the xbone is out of the serious threat question) developers will start being comfortable with the wiiu.