Aqua Moto Racing 3D Hopes to Make Waves in the eShop on 27th June

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Attempting to replicate smartphone success

Update:

Zordix AB has confirmed that, contrary to the impression given earlier, this title is only confirmed for 27th June in Europe, with a North American date yet to be confirmed.

Original Article:

Zordix is a developer that's enjoyed some success in the smartphone market with its Moto games, while Nintendo download gamers may know the company from the somewhat oddball DSiWare titles Valet Parking 1989 and 1950s Lawn Mower Kids. The studio's 3DS eShop debut will be with a new version of its Moto series — Aqua Moto Racing 3D.

It's now been confirmed that this will arrive in this week's update on 27th June, and based on the two separate press releases it looks destined for both Europe and North America. In its previous press release announcing the game, Zordix highlighted that its Moto releases on smartphones had accrued 15 million downloads and 1.5 million sales in total, which are very useful figures.

There's no new trailer as yet, but you can see the original preview video below. It brings back some memories of the Wave Race titles on Nintendo 64 and the GameCube, and we'll see whether it can make a similar splash soon enough.

Nintex

Nintex said:

oh snap, definitely getting this! Grrrr..... Nintendo where is my new Waverace!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Sweet, I'm in! I love the Wave Race games, I wish there was way more of them. This'll tied over my itch at least for a little while I hope.

Grubdog

Grubdog said:

Oh wow, this came out of nowhere. Looks almost identical to Wave Race except maybe the handling is a bit more stiff based on some parts of that video. Will definitely give it a shot.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

I was going to dismiss this outright until I read that Zordix is behind it. I'm a huge fan of Valet Parking 1989, however I hated Lawn Mower Kids (the concept was hilarious but the gameplay bored me).

But damn it, they have a loyal fan in me and I'll have to buy this. Hopefully their next game will be another retro-themed titled. 40s diner?

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

Now why can't nintendo bring out another wave race. There's obviously still a market for that game.

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

I tested the iPhone-version for my magazine and liked that game. I hope they beefed it up a little. Physical buttons will be a huge progress for Aqua.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@undead_terror Not me! I'll be listening in my head to this:
Easily the greatest song in the game imo. I still hum it to this day even after all these years :D Though I usually chuck a "WAVE RACE!" in there like the announcer did when you pushed start :D

Relias

Relias said:

Wave Race 64 came out back when Jet Motto was also very popular.. and when was the last time you saw that series?? Oh yeah.. PS1.. bottomline those games are not as popular as they used to be.. otherwise you may see another Wave Race.. petition Nintendo for one.. and hope for plenty of support.. I liked Wave Race.. and 1080 too.. but the reality is.. both are not likely to see the light of day unless we petition.. and get enough support.. because those games in general.. don't seem to go over as well with the public as they used too..

zenarium

zenarium said:

Looks awesome! I will most probably buy it if it has multiplayer( probably does).

Edit: Just checked the game's page on Nintendolife and apparently it does not have multiplayer. I hope that information is wrong!

Mr_Vengeance

Mr_Vengeance said:

When was the last time Ninty did a racer? Its really frustrating we have not seen a new Wave Race, Excitebike, 1080 or F-Zero in so long..... a decade perhaps?

This looks like low-budget fun, but will be no substitute for the real thing..... Wave Race!

ANGRYBALDMAN666

ANGRYBALDMAN666 said:

Hope this is go but Nintendo should just get their finger out a bring us what we all want "WAVERACE 3DS, F-ZERO 3DS AND 1080 SNOWBOARDING 3DS" that is all I have to say

SnackBox

SnackBox said:

Hopefully the physics for this game improve and it could potentially be the next wave race!

Laxeybobby

Laxeybobby said:

Definitely worthy of a purchase if it reviews well. Not wasting my money if it sinks!

Grubdog

Grubdog said:

@Mr_Vengeance agreed, it's incredibly frustrating. Especially when every other racing developer is doing it wrong right now, we need Nintendo. Nintendo's Mario Kart team is apparently full of real racing enthusiasts so it's a surprise they don't make more (though MK8 looks stunning, physics and all)