All Three Of Nintendo's Exclusive Sonic Titles Will Be Out In 2013

Posted by Damien McFerran

But what's the third game?

During the last Nintendo Direct broadcast, it was revealed that Nintendo had entered into an exclusive deal with Sega to publish a series of Sonic titles. More recently, Nintendo Germany has stated that the trio of games will all be available this year.

Here's the portion of the press release in question, translated from German by a forum member over at Sonic Stadium:

Today, they (Sega) revealed further details of the second of three titles, which the two companies will release exclusively on Wii U and 3DS. All three games will be released this year.

We already know about Sonic Lost World and Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, so what is this mystery third title? Could we be seeing a Sonic-themed Mario Kart helping, as was hinted at by Sumo Digital Executive Producer Steve Lycett?

We're sure you've got your own ideas, so why not let us know in the comments section below?

[via gonintendo.com, sonicstadium.org]

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

If there are 3DS and Wii U versions of each, do they count as separate games? I know I would definitely say that Sonic Colours DS and Sonic Generations 3DS were entirely separate games from the console versions.

Joffy

Joffy said:

Great news, didn't really expect any of them to make this year to be honest

jetforce

jetforce said:

They just might have handed over Mario Kart...I mean look at the amazing job Sega did with F-Zero !

Tuurtledove

Tuurtledove said:

For what may well be the one moment in my entire life to date, I'm finally interested in a Sonic game. And that's actually a pretty unique feeling. "Sonic: Lost Worlds" may well the first Sonic Game I shall ever purchase

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I just hope they don't immediately go and announce something better exclusively for rival systems like they did last time. : /

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

i think the 3rd unknown game will be some sort of spin-off game, likw tennis or something

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I just hope they aren't pushing their devs too hard in making three Sonic games for a 2013 release, but then they probably have separate dev teams for their core Sonic titles, their Olympic games, their All-stars games, etc.

MAB

MAB said:

Chakan the Ultimate Forever Man featuring Sonic the Hodgebog ;)

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

@Yoshi3DS yeah i agree with mate, id say the the lost world is definitely going to be the main game. i cant see another fully fledged sonic game coming before the end of the year.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

@RupeeClock It's funny that you said that, because I was reading more about the game that inspired Lost World, Sonic X-treme, and they did just that. The staff was working sixteen hours a day for a fall '96 release, and didn't make it.

As for the third game, I have no idea. It could be anything!

digga

digga said:

i hope its a mario sonic crossover,,, mario in sonics world and sonic in marios world that would be pritty special

Goginho

Goginho said:

hmm ..yea, I don't think I really like the sound of a Sonic-themed Mario Kart. Those are two completely different worlds imo, even though they did it with the Olympic games. I think the Mario universe has enough characters that are being used and that could be used. I would kinda like to see Nabbit in a Kart now that he has gotten quite a substantial role in the series :)

solcross

solcross said:

An actual Sonic and Mario co-op game would be much more interesting to see than another Olympic game. I played the first Mario & Sonic Olympic game on Wii, and the controls were bad enough to drive me away from the series for the rest of my life.

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

haha! i'm just imagining a mario game thats just like a usual 3d sonic game! run, fat man run!

Araknie

Araknie said:

Eeeeeeeuuuuh, SEGA must be planning this with Nintendo since at least a year.
Really surprising, whatever it is, considering SEGA's tipical sloth attitude, to pull so much effort from them is promising for the other IPs they have and maybe new IPs from them.

NMH-TRI

NMH-TRI said:

Super Mario X Sonic Chronicles RPG (Wii U). *Crosses Fingers^

Edit: I'd even be happy with Mario & Sonic Chaos Star Saga (3DS)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I have no idea what the third game is. It could be anything. It must be something big for them to remain hush-hush about it until E3.

JazzB1987

JazzB1987 said:

It is SONIC&MARIO RIDERS.

The sequel to Sonic Riders.
Do you guys remember that one? The hoverboard game?
Thats the racing game the devs were talking about. It wont be a Kart game.

johndevine

johndevine said:

@Tuurtledove looks like the best Sonic game I've ever seen. But I've always thought they were crap anyway.

If Mario kart becomes a Sonic crossover, I'll crossover to Xbox one or PS4.

That will be the last straw for me.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

Sonic: Lost Worlds will be the first Sonic game I've ever purchased! The other Sonic titles didn't catch my attention.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

The Sonic Mario Kart idea seems like the best guess... That would be a neat game. It is just a matter of patience.

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

I think we'll know at E3 Direct. A New Super Mario Bros style 2D platformer with Mario, Luigi, Sonic, and Tails would be great, however!!!

schizor

schizor said:

@Yoshi3DS I think you are right. Some sort of sports game will probably be the last of the 3 games, unfortunately.. :-) Maybe a puzzle game of some sort.

Personally i'm hoping for a Mario sonic 2D crossover.. :-)

Cevan

Cevan said:

What I think would be really cool sometime is a full out game where Sonic and Tails team up with Mario and Luigi to take down Eggman and Bowser, who have taken over the Mushroom Kingdom.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

I love the art style in Lost World (that screenshot is gorgeous), so I just hope Lost World on the 3DS isn't drastically different from thee console version.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

It's not the 3DS game, they said the third game hasn't been announced yet.

I can only hope it's a Mario and Sonic crossover platformer. It's really the only crossover I've ever wanted and not in a sports game.

bassoongoon

bassoongoon said:

I do not know what the third might be, but Lost World and Mario&Sonic have me pretty excited.

SnipeySnake

SnipeySnake said:

Shadow: Lost World, What's Shadow been doing behind the scenes? Having completely different levels and multiplayer can be played with people who have Sonic: Lost World.

Ahaha...Extremely unlikely, I know..I can dream.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

@EarthboundBenjy I would assume so, except, in the case of Sonic Lost World.. They look fairly similar. But since we hardly know much about them it wouldn't be a shock if it was like Generations (awesome game) where the 3DS version had a few exclusive levels.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Probably the one that ended on a "The End?" and that's Sonic Chronicles. It was decent playing a Sonic RPG, but I look forward to a much better sequel. Shame on you BioWare for teasing a part 2...

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

If Sega are helping to develop it, I'll be fine if a few Sonic characters are in Mario Kart 8 - and by a few, I mean no more than Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman. None of this Amy or Big the Cat rubbish, unless it is specifically Mario vs. Sonic Kart, and even then I wouldn't want to see half of the Sonic characters in the game.

However, in the very slim chance that Sega are working on F-Zero again, which I would love, they'd better not force any of their characters into it.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I don't think it's a Sonic game. It could be anywhere from a new Shenmue, to Skies of Arcadia, really.
They have more IPs than just Sonic, you know.
Nintendo has an exclusive deal with Sega(which is costing Nintendo more than it is Sega, no doubt), so Nintendo is probably gonna try and get one of their most popular IPs on the system as an exclusive while they can.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well, there was speculation quite a while ago that the Storybook Series was supposed to end up as a trilogy. Maybe the third entry is coming up?

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

I feel as if I'm the only one who would think that a Mario and Sonic Kart mashup would actually be pretty good, some people feel as if Mario Kart wouldn't be the same but I feel pretty grateful that we even got another Mario Kart so quickly after 7. This gives potential for a more "traditional" Mario Kart to get released later on in the systems lifespan when its power has been presumably upgraded or harnessed completely to give us the best Mario Kart experience ever. Maybe they'll bring back the bikes or add offroad ATV's with realistic physics.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

@UnseatingKDawg I remember hearing something about it being a seven game series. But it prematurely ended after Black Knight because it wasn't popular enough. Maybe Sega will risk a third game and end it as a trilogy.

Knux

Knux said:

It's probably Mario & Sonic All-Stars Racing developed by Sumo Digital.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

MarioKart Transformed would be a good guess, if not for the fact Nintendo is already releasing a MarioKart THIS YEAR, and certainly would not intercompete with a crossover MarioKart released around the same time. My guess is, it's a new type of Sonic game never done before, either some new type of spin-off or sports game or what-have-you.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

By process of elimination we know it can't be another full-fledged Sonic title, because Lost World fills that role. Likewise, we know it can't be a MarioKart crossover because Nintendo is releasing a MarioKart later this year. Could it be a new Sonic Transformed? Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed has been out only 6 months, so that wouldn't make much sense either. Any other possibilities we can rule out? They never said it would be a crossover, just that it would be exclusive.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Sonic Adventure 3 or a Sonic and Mario 3D plat former crossover would be awesome. :D It will also be nice seeing a new NiGHTS or Shadow game.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

The third game will definitely be Sonic 4 Episode III and unlock bonus content if you bought the first on iOS and the second one on PSN.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Is the third game definately a Sonic game or could it be any other Sega game? I know it is being billed as a Sonic partnership deal but we already have 2 Sonic games?