Yakuza 1 & 2 HD Confirmed for Wii U in Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A remake of the PS2 Titles

While we were enjoying largely similar Nintendo Direct broadcasts in Europe and North America, Japan had its own stream to enjoy that had an even greater emphasis on Nintendo's collaboration with SEGA; a segment was even called "SEGA Direct". There was a section dedicated to Yakuza 1 & 2 HD, a new Wii U version of the same re-release that hit the region on PS3 last November.

PlayStation 2 gamers may remember the original Yakuza titles that were released worldwide, which were fairly experimental action adventure titles that were intentionally mature in nature, and gave the player freedom to explore bars, shops and other locations. As the title suggests, you play a gangster from the notorious Yakuza organisation, so you can imagine some of the shenanigans that take place.

Due this Summer, what differentiates this release from the PS3 equivalent? It's all about the GamePad, of course, with a map and hot-keys populating the controller's screen, as well as the almost-standard inclusion of off-TV play. As the PS3 HD bundle of the two titles was Japan-only, and as this was only shown in the Japanese Nintendo Direct, the odds are looking relatively slim that this will come West.

Did you play either of the original titles on Sony's last-generation console, and would you like a chance to play these improved versions on Wii U? Maybe the footage below will help you decide.

[via twitter.com]

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I would really love to have this in the west, even more so if GTA V does skip the Wii U.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

A reminder: These already have English translations so there's nothing stopping this from coming out here.

If you enjoy beat em ups or adventure games you can't go wrong with these.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

^It's a remake, not a port. That means the old translation's not that helpful.

Still, I'd love for this to come to the U.S. It's a good series.

RedRocBoy

RedRocBoy said:

Let's see if we can get them to bring it over to the US. Let's GOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

Would love if it came over to the west. But I must say, this doesnt look much like an HD version to me. but still would love to play it.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@SparkOfSpirit They'd have to go through and figure out what has been changed and what hasn't. It'd honestly be easier if they started from scratch, as far as I can tell...

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

this something like gta right?

they should really bring it to the west. i think it would sell pretty good.

LDXD

LDXD said:

Hopefully it makes its way to the US and EU not quite gta5 but I'll take it considering I never played this series before, herd great things though

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

Iwata needs to go back to Japan and leave NOA alone if he's not going to localize these games.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

This would be a welcome addition to Wii U's library. These are pretty fun games. I'd buy them again in HD!!

Neram

Neram said:

Holy crap that's good graphics! watches the trailer Oh wait... That's not the graphics, what's going on here!?

AVahne

AVahne said:

Really more of a port with new features added. Remakes tend to be far more extensive changes. Only game I've seen that has been actually remade into HD is Wind Waker. All the rest are just HD PORT collections.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

I never played any of those games but I definitely would give them a try...especially if it's in HD. :)

mr570

mr570 said:

This is my favorite game series. I have played all of the titles and really enjoy the story and gameplay. If this does come west, I sure hope they follow up with an un-edited Yakuza 3 since we never got that one here.

QuickSilver88

QuickSilver88 said:

Honestly I don't think they will bring this over as it never sold that well on PS2 which had a huge user base. I played the 3rd one on ps3 and its good but I think sleeping dogs is much better and also would way prefer to have a Shenmue 1/2 HD remake! Still I think this is good for Japan and the good Sega relations are good for all of us....now how about Skies of Arcadia on VC!

The-Chosen-one

The-Chosen-one said:

mmm, tempted.....

SEGA please make a shenmue 1&2 remake for the wiiU! for that game u can have my money!

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

Nintendo jumping into bed with Sega is fantastic news. Hopefully we will see Virtual Console support.
Mega CD / Saturn / Dreamcast / AM2 Arcade Games please

seronja

seronja said:

wow! bring it to the west, yakuza is awesome! i would buy this day one for wii u because yakuza 1&2 are the only games in the franchise i never played.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

Cool that Yakuza has finally shed its Sony-exclusivity. But another sign that Nintendo is focues almost completely on Japan at this point as far as relationships with third parties.

I hope this comes out here, at least!

Ryo_Hazuki-san

Ryo_Hazuki-san said:

i played 1 n 2 on the ps2 and i reallllly want this on the wii u here in NORTH AMERICA SOMEONE START A PETITION!!!!

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

At first, when I saw the pic, I thought it was an updated version of Shenmu from Dreamcast.

PatcherStation

PatcherStation said:

I played every game in the series and they all bored me sh**tless, so can't say I'll be interested in HD remakes. I don't know why I even completed them all.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Hurrah, even more oldies!!

When are Bioshock infinite and the new Tomb raider arriving?!