Weirdness: Legend of Zelda's Triforce Gets Carved Into A Japanese Tombstone

Posted by Damien McFerran

A Link to the Afterlife

It's not uncommon for people to have poignant messages carved into their headstones when they eventually shake off their mortal coil, but you've got to go a long way to beat the legendary Triforce when it comes to tributes to the dead.

According to Twitter user mahosyouzyo, when a relative passed away she was asked to create a new family crest which would adorn his grave. She absent-mindedly doodled the famous icon from the Zelda series, and the rest is (allegedly) history.

A few people have already taken to Twitter to question the claim, as the Triforce symbol apparently looks a lot like the family crest of the Hojo clan — leading some sceptics to believe that mahosyouzyo is making the whole thing up.

Regardless of whether this is true or not, you have to admit — having the Triforce on your grave is way cool.

[via kotaku.com, twitter.com]

placidcasual

placidcasual said:

I can't be the only person whose first thought was to push it to see if there was a secret passage underneath?

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Uh isn't the Hojo clan's symbol generally a isosceles triangle (with a longer base) vs the Triforce being an equilateral triangle?

Squid

Squid said:

I would be careful with your ocarina near that. Might explode.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

It would be very eerie to be at that grave during a thunderstorm. I also wonder if the gravekeeper looks like Dampé. Epic even if unintentional.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

My sister-in-law is Japanese and her family has that family crest, actually. I thought it was pretty cool when I found out. :)

aside: I had to look up if my wife's brother's wife is a sister-in-law. Apparently she is.

Andremario

Andremario said:

@placidcasual: well hot damn! We think alike. I was thinking of all the different secret passages in various games that had stuff like that. That was funny!

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I would love to have a triforce on my grave, and to have that grave as a tomb with redeads in it.

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

The triforce is a fairly common symbol in Shintoism so I wouldn't be surprised if that story was fabricated.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

Yep...reminds me of the graveyard game I played with Dante.....and the lil kid who always hung around there......good times :)

kendorage

kendorage said:

Hojo clan? The takeda clan would pwn them on the battlefield!
And ...oh sorry. Having flashbacks to my shogun total war days.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Guys... GET DOWN WITH THE HOJO! Spreading love and cheer from over here, it's me, the Hojo clan fan!