Video: Meet Some Indie Developers and Publishers That Will Shape the eShop Platforms

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Interviews from iDÉAME13 in Madrid

On the 13th/14th April Nintendo took over the iDÉAME Developer's Conference, showcasing the broad range of titles coming to the Wii U and 3DS eShops, while developers of all sizes took part in presentations and talks about the games industry. As we highlighted in an article on Nintendo's Indie Crusade, there were overwhelmingly positive vibes and opinions from attendees.

The event did serve to unveil some new titles, but for those of us that weren't there Nintendo UK has released a video featuring a number of attendees talking about indie development. We get some insight into their views on forming successful businesses, reaching the publication stage and some of the challenges in finding skilled programmers. There are also brief moments of footage of various games that we can look forward to on both 3DS and Wii U.

This is well worth a watch for budding game developers, or those who are simply interested in the people behind the games we enjoy so much.

[via twitter.com]

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

It's slightly disappointing that the logo for iDeame looks like a pacifier, but otherwise this is great. More independent game developers is never a bad thing.

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

A pacifier because it's for "young developers", maybe? It doubles as a light bulb, which is more obvious what it stands for.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I'm glad iDéame has become an important (kind of) reunion, Spain needs to grow in this business :-)

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

@citizenerased I assume that the idea behind the logo was a lightbulb (see the bulb-esque shape, the twirled wire, & the circuit w/ the bulb's base), but from how it's designed it has a striking similarity to a pacifier.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

Nice. I'm not familiar with this conference, but I think Nintendo needs to attend more of these events in other countries as well. I feel like they really need to get the word out about their console to encourage people to develop for it.

Link41x

Link41x said:

Some very promising games in the pipeline, very interested in The 90's Arcade Racer.

Pit_96

Pit_96 said:

I love supporting indie is motivation that convinces me to play games again, I think some of the best indie games certain productions triple AAA, will buy many indie on my WiiU and in the future on my next 3DS XL :)

Pod

Pod said:

Inspiring, and I didn't even know that Knapnok Games were putting their stuff on Wii U, that's awesome!

TromboneGamer

TromboneGamer said:

Wisdom for anyone looking to do something with their passion whether video game development or other avenues of profession and business.

Shworange

Shworange said:

Additionally, with Nintendo desperately needing new killer IP's, attracting new ideas to the company via young talent could very much work well in both programmer and Nintendo's favor.

SubZer023

SubZer023 said:

This is great news for Nintendo, if they keep this up i dont think nintendo will have to worry about next generation console's.

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

I really feel that Nintendo has made themselves much more available to the indie developers this time around, with the Wii U and 3DS getting a lot of indie support.
I would rather play an indie game that invites me to discover something new in gaming that I haven't experienced before, than just play another iteration in a tired shooter franchise!

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

Magikarp3

Magikarp3 said:

This video is really heartwarming, to see all these people gathered together doing what they love, and winding up with such incredible results. It almost makes me want to get into game design.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

@Gnoll Italy has a much more powerful trademark asa Country than Spain. You market yourselves way better. That is something. ;)