Video: Eight Reasons to Avoid The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Posted by Rory Cocker

Activision's shameful cash-in is a bit pants

There's an old saying that goes "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

Those words of wisdom have never been more poignant, more relevant or more applicable than when discussing the act of purchasing, or even considering purchasing, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct. Sure, new Wii U games are pretty few and far between right now, but just because you can buy this one, doesn't mean you should. Seriously, don't. Please.

In today's video, I give you eight unquestionable and infallible arguments as to why you should avoid Activision's shameful cash-in like the proverbial plague. There's even a brief cameo from Editorial Director Damien McFerran, and a totes hilarious bit at the end where I stab zombies in the face to the musical stylings of Benny Hill.

What more could you want from a Monday?!

Midnight3DS

Midnight3DS said:

The excellent Walking Dead point n' clicker is getting a sequel. That's where it's at. Not this mess.

JFug

JFug said:

Glad to see you guys put ZombiU as a reason you should not get this game. ZombiU is actually scary, fun and difficult. ZombiU's campaign is probably 3x as long as the one in Survival Instinct. Had this game for one day, then I traded it in.

SchamMan89

SchamMan89 said:

No offense to those involved, but I come to this site for its comprehensive news and opinion articles. You guys are great at this.

This video tried too hard to be funny, though.

That said, this is a good PSA. The Telltale game is incredible... this one, not so much.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@SchamMan89 We still have news and opinion articles...but we now also offer amusing and entertaining video content. :)

AG_Systems

AG_Systems said:

Good stuff guys. Will watch this on Friday night with a few beers on my WiiU. Now subscribed to your YouTube channel.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Can't say much b/c I only watched the last 20 seconds but everything is better w/ Benny Hill.

skjia

skjia said:

Thank you for the subtitles. My zombie's a little rusty.
Ever since Activision killed Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero, I've stayed away from all things Activision and I've never regretted it lol.
@rjejr Indeed!

Harrison_Peter

Harrison_Peter said:

I hope people don't get this game mixed up with the excellent The Walking Dead episodic adventure games. Fantastic. They've been voted by a lot of people as game of the year up against the likes of Journey, Bioshock: Infinite, Dishonoured etc.

Jewelarchon

Jewelarchon said:

And they "wonder" why their Wii U sales have been poor compared to expectations...people want to play good games!

hydeks

hydeks said:

telltale's is continuing with there series, that makes me happy. This game on the other hand, was the biggest let down for me in a long time :( Don't buy on Wii U? Should say not to buy on ANY system lol

CasuallyDressedStaff

CasuallyDressed said:

@rjejr The video was originally just going to be 5 minutes of me killing zombies to the Benny Hill theme tune. Seriously, can even ask Damien.

taffy

taffy said:

pfft, next you'll tell me not to play superman64... like there's never been a bad superman game!

Pit_96

Pit_96 said:

Activision bad story .... EA and Activision that I will no longer have any money, do not respect the consumer, think only of their money, nice people ....

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

I was unsure if this was Telltale's games on disc, so I would've checked. And if I'm glad I decided to check now because this sucks. Activision is terrible to release this shameful cash-in.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

It was almost as if Simon Pegg himself was writing the script. Ok, not really, but you guys still did a good job. Confirmed my fears of how bad the game is. Thumbs up.

Retr_acro

Retr_acro said:

Don't worry, I got Angry Joe to stop myself and his followers from buying garbage.
Good to see Nintendolife from preventing its followers from buying crap as well.

Magrane

Magrane said:

Sorry Rory, I'm a huge fan of the show and so far your arguments (except for #5) don't sound strong enough to completely avoid it. Maybe NL's and the other existing bad reviews in other sites support getting this game in a bargain bin, but you never addressed the story or voice acting of this game! Was it AMC quality, or just completely coffee table coaster-worth?

Williaint

Williaint said:

I wasn't going to buy it, and now I'm REALLY not going to buy it.
Thanks for the convincing, Benny "Hell".

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

I still don't understand what the fuss was about the other Walking Dead game, it really didn't look interesting to me.

KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

nice review i go buy right now. haha just kidding this game look very awful . Zombie U still the No .1 Zombie game on Wii U ^^

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Sorry Rory but you're mistaken....you can actually buy the Telltale Walking Dead episodic game on disc now....I saw it on the shelf in my local Tesco last Friday. This piece of garbage is the only one for Wii U though, unfortunately.

timp29

timp29 said:

Rory, can't say your humour worked for me, but props for the effort you clearly put into this. I won't be getting this game, disaster averted ;)