This Is What A New Streets Of Rage And ESWAT Could Have Looked Like

Posted by Damien McFerran

Backbone pitched the ideas to Sega

Former Backbone Entertainment artist Arvin Bautista has published art from Streets of Rage and ESWAT titles which were pitched to Sega — presumably with little success.

Bautista — who has also worked on Capcom titles Commando: Wolf of the Battlefield and 1942: Joint Strike — has released the concept art on his personal blog. The two games would have been made available on PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade, had they ever progressed any further than basic pitches to the publisher.

Personally speaking, we'd love to see both of these franchises revived for a new generation — perhaps even a 3DS or Wii U eShop release? Both have been dormant for far too long, if you ask us.

What Sega series would you like to see resurrected on modern hardware? And what do you think of Bautista's artwork?

[via siliconera.com, freesuperheroes.blogspot.com]

Related Games

Morph

Morph said:

Panzer dragoon, streets of rage, shining force, alex kidd, wonderboy, golden axe (better than beast riders), skies of arcadia, jet set radio, crazy taxi, virtual on, fighting vipers - that'll do for now

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

I like the artwork for Streets of Rage & I'm indifferent to the E-Swat art. Streets of Rage is Soooooo overdue for an update! Panzer Dragoon too!

OL_G

OL_G said:

Artwork is bad the original sreets of rage looked better than that

Midnight3DS

Midnight3DS said:

I'd love to see a new 2D Streets of Rage. SOR II was definitely one of my most played games on the Genesis.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

The ESWAT art has a slight 'Double Dragon Neon' quality... and I thought that game was a lot of fun.

wiggy

wiggy said:

If that artwork was the backbone of the pitch, then I can see why Sega wasn't all that excited :/

hydeks

hydeks said:

are you serious, Sega? RELEASE A NEW STREETS OF RAGE ALREADY!!!!! Make a new Street of Rage and new Golden Axe (not like Beast Rider) and have then as PSN/XBLA/eShop purchases. Look at Double Dragon Neon, and learn from that game.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Rolling Thunder needs a revival badly. I loved 2 & 3 on the Genesis, as well as the first one on the NES and arcade. I know it's a Namco title, but still.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Another Streets of Rage game got cancelled, are you serious!?! Come on Sega, bring back the Streets of Rage gang, heck, I could come up with the story for another game. Or at the very least, do what Capcom did with some of there final fight characters and bring some of the Streets of Rage characters into the Virtua Fighter series. ESWAT should also get a revival.

What Sega series would you like to see resurrected on modern hardware?
Untitled

We really need Ristar to shine again, not as a flagman, but as a hero, once more!

rdenton85

rdenton85 said:

I don't get why Sega are so eager to forget their past. The Mega Drive was their best console. Games series like Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Shinobi and Alex Kidd, plus the single releases like Kid Chameleon, Ristar, Decap Attack, and even Sonic deserve better.

TheVideoGamer

TheVideoGamer said:

It's still criminal to me that SEGA still hasn't released Daytona USA 2 for any home console yet. That game came too close to the end of the arcade era, didn't see too many of em around. A complete Daytona USA 1 & 2 Deluxe package (with perhaps Virtua Racing as a hidden bonus!!) is SO overdue...

Gameday

Gameday said:

I feel ify about this kind of stuff always , they take a way different approach on games when they try to recreate a classic. Just like they did on Double Dragon for xbla..

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

They sure don't make games like they used to, thats for sure. I'd be nice if many of the classics made a comeback even if its just as small downloadable titles.

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

I remember Backbone. They made those Sonic Rivals games...

Yeah I can see why Sega didn't go ahead with the project.

Neram

Neram said:

Not a huge fan of that art style. Looks just a tad on the Saturday morning cartoon side. I honestly hope nobody ever tries to bring Streets of Rage back, it wouldn't be possible to capture the same essence using today's technology. There was something inherently unique about the 16-bit Genesis audio and video that worked to create the Streets of Rage essence. Not to mention it's not the 90's anymore so there's no chance of it being nearly as awesome.

Yanchamaru

Yanchamaru said:

The artwork is too kiddish. What was Backbone thinking? Streets of Rage and ESWAT are not made for small children.