SEGA Promises New Gameplay, Enemies and Potentially "Friends" in Sonic Lost World

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"It's going to be all new"

Since its announcement in the last Nintendo Direct, little has been said since about Sonic Lost World, which is one third of an exclusive worldwide deal for the mascot between SEGA and Nintendo. It's a new main series Sonic title coming to Wii U and 3DS, which may be enough for some long term fans for the time being.

While not exactly heavy with details, John Cheng — President and Chief Financial Officer of Sega of America Inc — has been quoted by the Associated Press to confirm that the title isn't any form of retread of existing games, but that it's being produced to feature new ideas for the franchise.

With 'Sonic Lost World,' we're going to introduce new gameplay and enemies, which is always fun. In terms of Sonic and his friends, he'll have his same friends there, and I think there'll be some new ones as well. It's not a reiteration. It's going to be all new.

Sonic has a lot of friends thanks to SEGA enthusiasm in recent times for expanding the blue one's roster, but this does potentially shatter hopes from the concept art that this would focus on Sonic and Tails. To take an optimist's approach, perhaps SEGA will strike the right balance.

Cheng also stated, briefly, his belief that Sonic can be a powerful exclusive for Nintendo's systems, while repeating a phrase that's often heard in the games industry.

It should be a win-win situation. Don't count Nintendo out.

How many of Sonic's friends would you like to appear this time? We'd be happy to kick it old-school with Tails and perhaps Knuckles, but we may see some other companions in the Lost World.

[via games.yahoo.com, gonintendo.com]

Banjogeek

Banjogeek said:

New friends? Nooooooooo! We will see these guys for one game and they disappear.Also you spelled Tails wrong.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

"With 'Sonic Lost World,' we're going to introduce new gameplay and enemies, which is always fun. "

I don't recall the Werehog being fun or driving cars as shadow being fun. This worries me.

gloom

gloom said:

It's coming out for the Wii U not Wii but this game looks like it could turn out to be something really good I can't wait to see more about it :)

Banjogeek

Banjogeek said:

I heard a rumor that it's not new it's just Characters from Sonic the fighters who were never in a game.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

"new gameplay and enemies, which is always fun"

Of course it is, Sega. Of course it is.

Sega's idea of fun sometimes seems to be anyone else's idea of torturously awful

GazPlant

GazPlant said:

@Raylax Kudos for going to the trouble of linking to all those games! Hopefully by new gameplay they mean an evolution of Generations, not Werehog ;)

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

OMG it's coming on the Wii too?

So um yeah, Tails, Knuckles and especially Amy, would be awesome to appear in this game.

I sure hope the new guy "Tales" doesn't muck things up like the last couple of sonic games that had new people in it.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@GazPlant Hah, it was the worryingly desperate tone of "always fun" which got me.

"It's always fun! We keep trying new stuff and it's always... fun! Right? It's fun, right? ...Guys?

...H-Hello?"

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Yes I know it's for Wii U, that was a typo. These things happen, I'm going to learn to love again.

I've also fixed the Tails spelling. Leave me alone, it's Sunday night and dark here in Scotland.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@mariobro4 No, it was a typo.

Anyways, I can already hear all the Sonic fanboys screaming from this news. Personally, though, I don't mind it. I'll remain cautiously optimistic, as usual.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

i like Tales hes a pretty cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

No. Noooooooooooooo. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sega. We don't want new gameplay. Just make it sonic colours 2 with new/different wisp powers.

Pretty please...

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

Old and new characters are welcome as long as its just in cutscenes or cameos. Would be good to see Bean, Bark, Mighty, Ray and Nack make a return.

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

As long as it's nothing like the werehog I'll be fine. Though I'm looking forward to see what they came up with. I mean the unleashed style gameplay was good.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This seems to downplay the notion that it'll be like the Sonic Adventure series and Sega's track record of newness is hit-and-miss, but I'll stay cautiously optimistic.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

I'm optimistic about this game.The new gameplay could be a good addition.

I just hope they dont try to integrate his friends too much in this. I've never cared for any of them outside of Tails and Knuckles.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@Banjogeek Oh come on! Someone on the internet saying "someone told me that someone told them" isn't proof. It's like believing something you hear in a pub that begins with the word "Apparently..." And as Linkstrikesback said, Big is in Sonic Racing Transformed.

fregrold

fregrold said:

I think the problem is this: Not enough nerds, smirking nerdily, at the spelling of Tails. You're just not going to please everyone, Sega, just make a good game.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

For some reason when he said Sonic has a lot of friends, I got the idea that he was refering to Mario and Sega's relationship with Nintendo. Maybe Sonic will somehow run into Mario in this lost world.

Nintex

Nintex said:

I never was a Sega fan until the Dreamcast. Sonic also didn't appeal to me until Sonic Adventure. Since that time I have come to like the Lil Blue guy. Sonic can be a great game if done correctly. Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Adventure 2 are my favorite of the 3-D titles. Most of the Sonic games in the last decade were just odd and all over the place. Redemption came in the form of Sonic Colors for the Wii. That was the best Sonic since Adventure 2 for me. I didn't play much of Generations because it wasn't for the Wii (Sadly). This new Sonic has got me pumped for a great game, which I believe it will be. Hopefully Nintendo are actually helping develop the title and not just produce it. I can't wait to see more!

Darel18

Darel18 said:

New friend = Mario ("It should be a win-win situation. Don't count Nintendo out.")
Now seriously, would be awesome if Nintendo helps them with their magical touch and make a great awesome Sonic game to be remembered, like Sonic Adventure 2 (not saying Nintendo help here).

hydeks

hydeks said:

I agree with the statement don't count Nintendo out. I thought the Wii U was crap till my sister bought one, now I really want one! If game like Sonic and that keep coming, Wii U will probably be my system of choice for next gen. I hope companies like Sega and Ubisoft continue to support Nintendo.

LexKitteh

LexKitteh said:

I've always loved how Sonic games let you play as multiple characters. Colors and Generations were great games, but I am really hoping for different playable characters again.

Squid

Squid said:

I would personally love to see Honey the Cat be a real character. Judging from the title, it's possible that older characters will make a new appearance, so perhaps characters like Mighty, Bark, Fang, Bean or Ray could appear. I guess that's mainly Sonic the Fighters characters huh? :P

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Nintex

For me it was exactly like that as well, although I barely played SA2 I really liked the first one. I also hope Nintendo is giving them some support regarding development of the game instead of having crossover elements.

With that said, I haven't taken the plunge with either Colors or Generations, and I think they are on the cheap nowadays. Maybe I should pick one of those up.

Wolfgabe

Wolfgabe said:

As long as its more like Colors and less like Unleashed ( I am looking at you Werehog) I'm okay

Nintex

Nintex said:

@sinalefa

Yes you should definitely try out Sonic Colors! It's very cheap now. New it's about $20 and used it's around the ten dollar range. It's very fun and has some real catchy music :)

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

I'm always down for new gameplay ideas and characters in Sonic games. I even liked playing as the night levels in Unleashed. Maybe the 3rd game is a sequel to Dark Brotherhood.

Austroid

Austroid said:

Hopefully the new character(s) will be integral to the plot, but without being in-your-face about it.

-Yacker from Colors: Good
-Chip from Unleashed: Bad

EarthboundBren

EarthboundBren said:

something like this (examples to look back at)

Good: Classic Sonic in Generations, Wisp powers in Colors

Bad: Werehog in Unleashed, Silver in 06

Varia01

Varia01 said:

New characters? Could be an interesting start for a new Sonic legacy. I was expecting the same gameplay as colors (Wii) and generations (360 and PS3), but new gameplay is great! I highly anticipate this title.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I don't love exclusives in general, but there are certainly valid reasons for them. I'll take all we can get on the Wii U because I believe in the platform and it will be nice for it to get noticed and supported.

I just wish SEGA was... better. I keep waiting for them to knock it out of the park. Sonic All-Stars Racing is the first Sega game I've enjoyed in a LONG time, so here's hoping. Sonic games always sound good when they're on the way, but I'm hopeful anyway. :/

Speaking of exclusives: Besides the transcendent Nintendo Land, Lego City is the best current exclusive Wii U game.

Lego City is something special. I just "finished" it, meaning the main storyline and my 4 and 7 year-old were through the rough with excitement. I've never laughed so much in one game and even though my kids don't get half the jokes, they think the whole thing is awesome. Game play is sort of going through the paces for much of the time like previous Lego games and I wish there was a hard version with more challenging mini-games, but it makes me very glad I have a Wii U NOW, not later.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

What do you mean "perhaps Knuckles"?
I think that Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow should definitely be in the game. As long as the others play well, then I'm game.

bassoongoon

bassoongoon said:

I like what SEGA is doing by partnering with Nintendo and offering several games as exclusives. I am definitely going to support them by buying a copy.

jayblue

jayblue said:

need to finish sonic adventure on dreamcast first,hope it like this have sa on live as well but the xbox port was crap much better on dreamcast.

Musterd

Musterd said:

I've never been much of a Sonic fan, but it would be cool if a "new friend" could be some sort of invertebrate. Look it up. Now imagine it in Sonic style. On second thought, they probably wouldn't. Sorry for wasting your time.

Nintendo4Lyfe

Nintendo4Lyfe said:

Sega is going on all cylinders in making an epic Sonic title only for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. And if developer Sonic Team were to use Cross Platform Play and exchange saving info from 3DS to Wii U... and from Wii U to 3DS, you're looking at the next big thing since sliced bread.

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

@Raylax
Yes, like when they said that The House of the Dead: Overkill: the Lost Reels had "fun" in-app purchases... :-(

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

Ugh! Is there a "Stop Complaining" button for you nitpicky Sonic fans? Seriously, you guys act like Sega still makes garbage titles! You guys have to get exactly what you want, otherwise it's considered "trash". Sonic 4 was a good game but apparently: "No the physics aren't exactly like the classics." "I don't want the homing attack." " "Where's Classic Sonic." Now you guys are going to thrash Sega with complaints most likely about: "Where's Sonic Adventure 3?" "I don't want new characters." "Bring back the Unleashed style."

Honestly, can you Sonic fans have to always have it your way. Will guess what? Sega is NOT a bad company anymore. They've learned from their mistakes, geniuses. I'm excited to see a new gameplay style. When Sega created the classic gameplay style (in Sonic 1, used in later classic Sonic games), fans liked it. When Sega created the Adventure style, fans liked it. When Sega created the Unleashed (daytime) style, fans liked it. Do you really think Sega will mess up a new play style this time as Sega never introduced a bad play style for Sonic? (Key word: introduce. Sonic '06 had a bad play style, which was really a worsened Sonic Adventure-styled game.)

Also, what's wrong with new friends? I am actually always willing for the Sonic cast to expand. And how do we even know those "new characters" will be recurring? If so, then why not? Characters like Shadow, Blaze, and Silver (though having a debut in a broken game) proved to be great characters in general. How do we know these "new characters" will be redundant? Maybe these "new characters" will be great characters, considering Sega's rise of quality in their games?

You guys need to stop complaining, or Sega will leave you fans in the dust. In other words, they will retire the Sonic franchise because of unappeasable fans. STOP COMPLAINING IF YOU WANT SONIC TO LIVE. Just be happy with the news for what it is. Sega's learned how to make good games again, so leave them be. Rock on, Sega! This is awesome news and I'm happy to see you guys try and innovate! :D And seeing how recent Sonic games have been, I highly doubt you guys will screw this us, especially with Nintendo helping you guys on this game! :)

D2Dahaka

D2Dahaka said:

Looking forward to the game. I couldn't care less for sonic's friends just take full advantage of the wii u's unique features and make it more along the lines of sonic generations and colours and less like shadow the hedgehog.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

I'm looking to playing this. I know they said "it will be an all new game," but it looks and kinda feels like it will be like Sonic Adventure. That's fine with me! I love Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I really hope some of said friends are playable characters. Kinda tired of just Sonic and on occasion Tails.

P-Gamer-C

P-Gamer-C said:

Sonic just is not what it used to be so many shovelware titles they bury the decent ones like sonic generations

rmeyer

rmeyer said:

3 playable characters only Sonic Knuckles and Tails no other garbage characters after that.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

So the successful formula of Sonic Colors & Generations was too much for SEGA to handle at once.

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

This news makes me more excited. I'm always glad when Sega DOESN'T listen to their whining fanbase. Sonic 06 and Sonic 4 Ep 1 were products of Sega doing just that, and they're not the greatest of titles in the series.

I love all of Sonic's new gameplay elements. Shadow the Hedgehog is one of my favourite games in the series. I liked the Werehog, I liked finding emerald shards with Knuckles and Rouge. I loved the six characters sharing an intertwined story in Adventure 1. I pretty much like every Sonic game. :D I have no doubt Sega will deliver more exciting goodness.

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

Hopefully that means only good things...
And yeah, Nintendo's involved. They're involved with every single one of their console exclusives (as long as they're exclusive) to a certain extent (it depends on what game we're talking about...)

TheSonicdude97

TheSonicdude97 said:

@EarthboundBenjy Words exactly how I would've said! I have always loved EVERY Sonic game. Heck, I even enjoy Sonic '06, if anypony's wondering. I always believe SEGA has done a great job on the games and don't make "mistakes". Many bad things are said about SEGA because a certain player did not get what they want, or don't want/try to see the good in the games. People don't have to, as long as they don't complain then, either. Also, SEGA isn't "learning", they're Improving and growing on their always-kept awesomeness and giving new ideas and gameplay experiences. ROCK ON Sonic and SEGA!!!!~ :D

gaby_gabito

gaby_gabito said:

I love the idea! Let's be honest. The best Sonic games have been the retro or reiterations of the retro Sonic games. Sonic needs something new and fresh to stay current amongst a new generation of gamers. Spinning, running, and jumping are all great but there are so many new games out there that do much of the same.

Paperluigi

Paperluigi said:

I dont normally buy the sonic games but this one has got my attention, I hope it turns out to be a good game.

Mollutje

Mollutje said:

I didn't even like Colors, and that's apparently one of the best Sonic games in recent memory.. so it's safe to say I'm likely to skip this game. I hope for Sega's sake that this one's at least not going to be a Sonic '06 type of mess.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

I'm not sure what to think about new gameplay. On one hand, I'm not a big fan of the 3D gameplay style from Unleashed and Colors (although it's still a million times better than the gameplay in Secret Rings <shudder>). On the other hand, they usually screw up completely when they try new gameplay styles. I just wish they'd go back to Sonic's 3D gameplay style from the Adventure duology (and the mech-style combat from those games was pretty good, too).

Buzzthebatgirl

Buzzthebatgirl said:

Ten years ago this announcement would have gotten me all excited but bad Sonic games after bad Sonic game and a overly childish fan base have tarnished my love for the Blue Blur. I will still wear a t-shirt with his giant face on but don't expect me to actually want to purchase an average game only existing because of Sega wanting to be popular again. I still can't get over how fans are once again falling for the Sonic Cycle all over again...

BlackSpy

BlackSpy said:

Just show Knuckles more respect! This seems like the perfect game that would allow for some serious Knuckles gameplay, DO IT NINTENDO/SEGA! >=-0

Araknie

Araknie said:

Sonic fans are the only one who could ever complain about something new. LOL

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

A lot of Sonic fans are the biggest complainers I have ever seen. I guess I'm one of the few that really enjoyed the Adventure games and like it when guys like Tails and Knuckles show up.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

@Joshers744 - I know what you mean. :(

Anyways, I can honestly say I haven't played a Sonic game I didn't like. Sure, some were better than others, but each one brought something new to the table. Granted, SEGA's execution of some of these ideas needed a little work and for a while, it did seem like it was confused about just where the series was going. However, I do believe that Sonic's found his zone now, (pun intended) if games like Colors and Generations are any indication. Now that Sonic's back in his focus once again, I think now is the time for elements such as the rest of the cast to be reintroduced. These characters have great potential and could add new gameplay and world-building elements. New types of gameplay can also keep the games fresh and fun. I feel that, while some of these elements bothered some players before, SEGA will be able to use these features to craft an excellent title thanks to them finding Sonic's place in modern gaming.
Plus, Nintendo is involved, too. ;)

Sun

Sun said:

Banjogeek: 'New friends? Nooooooooo! We will see these guys for one game and they disappear'. Agreed.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Oh good Lord... How would the Joker put this... Oh yeah...

SEGA mentions Sonic's friends, and everybody loses their minds.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a setup like Sonic & the Black Knight - have multiple player characters, but optionally. That way, fans of other characters (such as myself) can play as them, and fans of only Sonic can just ignore them. As for the characters themselves, I'm looking forward to Knuckles, Shadow, Blaze, and Silver. Besides, the last few games to introduce "friends" were kinda solo appearances. There's Sonic 06, with that dumb broad Elise, Sonic Unleashed, with Chip and Professor Pickle, and Sonic Colors, with Yacker. Out of all those games, the only new friend Sonic made that stuck around is Silver - the others I listed haven't appeared in the main storyline since.

Harley

Harley said:

Hmmmm, Tales? Who knows. Maybe Bimmy and Jimmy will show up in this game. xD

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

My favourite Sonic game is Sonic Unleashed (PS3). I greatly enjoyed it entirely, thought the storyline was fun & the last boss stage & battle was epic. The music was really good & I loved just travelling through the town talking to randoms & laughing at their random shenanigans. Also I loved the werehog & the day time stages. They were just 2 really fun modes put together. I always hoped for a sequel but I'll probably never get it. Actually I should complete Sonic Unleashed & get all the medals in it one day. I also greatly enjoyed Sonic '06, I pissed myself laughing when [spoilers] he got kissed by Princess Elise /spoilers], I don't know how you could hate the game really. Most so called bugs in the game required you to actually try to make them happen, I never encountered any bugs or lockups, it was a nice fun game. Sonic Adventure 1 was fun too, Big the cat was hilariously fail! Personally, I enjoy the 3D Sonic games more than the 2D ones, I just enjoy being able to see the whole scope of levels, as well as to see what's ahead of me. Whereas I find the 2D sonics require too much memorisation & ultra fast speed without being able to see very far ahead. I'll get used to them one day I'm sure. Thus I'm very excited for this new direction the next Sonic game will take. Can't wait! :D

MrSonicFan34

MrSonicFan34 said:

More new friends? most likely the new characters will be never mentioned again after this game. I'm still looking forward to seeing the game though.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

How about a Sonic action RPG? Or flat-out RPG with button timing sequences like the paper mario / Mario Luigi series? Remember the series Bioware made? Maybe less branching dialogue but more action in turn based or action RPG-type attacks!

pntjr

pntjr said:

When will Sega learn that we don't want anything new!!!!!!!!! We just want to be normal Sonic blazing around doing loops! Is that too much to ask?

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

For some reason, when I hear "new gameplay" and look at that picture, this comes to mind.
Untitled
Please don't do this SEGA.

Cyb3Rnite

Cyb3Rnite said:

...FRIENDS?
**flips table**
I'm not playing any Sonic game that requires you to play a non-speed character. When is SEGA gonna get that Sonic's "friends" only make the games worse?

Volmun

Volmun said:

Cool this being a Nintendo exclusive game makes me more hopefull as imo the Nintendo only Sonic games have bean the best ( This is MY Opinion )

Volmun

Volmun said:

@ClassicSonicFan i agree with what you sed. it drives me MAD when you get ppl say "Tails killed the sonic franchise" umm wtf? imo it made it 100X better as me and my brother culd play it together (althow i was always his super wepon with tails being invicibil) we had grate fun especially with Sonic 3 + Sonic and Knuckles (woop flying tails!!) .

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

The small Catan-esque planet seen in the screenshot reminds me of Sonic CD's Little Planet. Probably has nothing to do with much, but maybe some crazy Sonic CD-style environments could be seen here. :D

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Please make sure there meaningful characters, not these throwaway cartoons like Chip and the Wisps

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

No new friends, please, and if u do SEGA don't make them big the cat bad, do u know how much I suffered in SA1 just to be super sonic? Big the cat, and fishing in a 3d sonic game.