Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure Set for Wii U and 3DS This Fall

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A console and handheld exclusive

The Scribblenauts series has been popular on DS, 3DS and latterly Wii U — though Europe's still waiting for Scribblenauts Unlimited — and is ideal for testing out the limits of your imagination. The nifty dynamic of creating almost any conceivable object will be incorporated into the DC Universe when Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure is released on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS later this year; it's almost guaranteed to make many comic fans smile.

Speaking to Polygon, Scribblenauts Unmasked's senior producer, Caleb Arseneaux, explained that the team had researched to try and include every possible variation of character from DC, as well as a huge range of environments — for example, there'll reportedly be 33 different Batmans and 130 Green Lanterns.

Initially we had 1,200 characters, and then we just kept finding more and more characters and more variations, and eventually we wound up with more than 2,000,

...So when you play Scribblenauts for the first time and you spawn a cat, that's usually when people are like, 'Oh my god, this game has a cat! That's awesome!' Then you type in dog, and the dog appears and starts chasing the cat," he said. "In Unmasked, we have a Red Lantern that is a cat — Dex-Starr — so if you spawn a dog, and then you spawn a cat, Dex-Starr will appear, and when the dog tries to chase him, he'll beat up the dog.

Gamers will be able to share their creations online, and won't have to wait too long to do so. The title's slated to arrive this Fall on Wii U, 3DS and PC, making the Nintendo systems the only home consoles to receive the game.

So, is this one on your must-have list for later in the year?

[via polygon.com, joystiq.com]

Related Games

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Wow, that's interesting. Think I'd be up for that. I need Unlimited first as I'm in the EU (when is that being released ffs?!). Don't frak up the EU version of Unmasked this time please!

manu0

manu0 said:

Scribblenauts still not having been released in Europe is ridiculous...

edhe

edhe said:

It'll be an exclusive just like Scribblenauts unlimited was, in that you could get the game earlier (in Europe, at least) and at a knockdown price on the PC with Steam.

No way in hell I'm paying £50 for this on the Wii U when I can get it for £15-25 on Steam.

But will we see it in Europe this year? It just depends on whether NoE feels like gimping their release schedule.

Squid

Squid said:

Dang, that's a lot! :O I would be totally more interested if it was Marvel, but still, wow. This seems like that would be better as DLC rather than its own title, if you ask me.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

It seems interesting at least. I'm pretty new to this series so I might have to try one of them out if I get a Wii U.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

I might get this. Depends upon how packed the release window is when it comes out.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

If the Wii U and the 3DS version are the same, I will buy the 3DS version. The 3DS version being the gimped version in Unlimited was horse crap.

Also, they need to remove the ability to add adjectives to objects you didn't create. It breaks the game, badly. Any kind of creativity is meaningless when you can add "Immortal" to yourself and "petrified (or another debilitating adjective) to everything else.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Mmmyeah.. first, give Europe Scribblenauts Unlimited. Then we'll see about this one.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

No sir I dont like it!
When is something decent looking gonna be announced for the Wii U? (And yes ive played unlimited, was meh all around)

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

I still have yet to purchase Unlimited, though I likely will end up doing so in the future.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@DarkKirby I feel like such a fool for not having thought of that "immortal" thing. Gamebreaking, perhaps, but it's not as if you HAVE to type it in. The option is what makes these games so unique.

Rief

Rief said:

Well, how about giving us Unlimited first?
Not gonna buy it since i'm actually not interested in DC and american comic stuff.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

Heard about this a couple of days ago, so happy to see that it's true.
I loved the Scribblenauts games and i have Unlimited on the 3DS :D

Hopefully this time around the 3DS version gets an object editor and i also hope the levels are more challenging instead of a vocabulary test >.>
BRING THE ACTION LEVELS BACK(even though you could probably beat them with a tiny RC helicopter and a giant invincible immovable fan).

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Well I enjoyed the Scribblenauts Unlimited on the Wii U and I am a DC fan so unless the reviews are really bad on this game I will be picking it up at some point.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

I'll buy 3DS I wish the Scribblenauts series would have remained an exclusive of the DS line as I feel scribblenauts was one of the landmark titles for the DS and that that's where it belongs

Doctor_Opossum

Doctor_Opossum said:

@KaiserGX Dex-Starr's presence in the game makes me a good deal more likely to buy it. Kotaku's article on this game also shows that Matter-Eater Lad from the Legion of Super-Heroes is in this!

Xilef

Xilef said:

Pretty cool idea for a cross-over. I'm more of a Marvel guy though. Let's hope Unlimited makes it to Europe soon, my little brother is waiting. The 3DS version was advertised with one of those papers that comes with some 3DS games.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Tell me this is DLC? If not WHY would anyone buy a new game for 2,000 more words, is it worth £40 or even a DLC of maybe £15?

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

@Captain_Gonru

It's true you can choose not to use adjectives on objects you didn't summon, but there are many puzzles that are designed to be solved in that exact way. It seems like lazy design if you can defeat anything by just adding "dead" to it, and "petrified" if they are not allowed to be killed.

You are so powerful that you are a god of gods. It's not so much puzzle solving by creating objects as much as it is you manipulating the entirety of reality. The hardest things in the game are when they ask you to make an item that meets specific requirements, but the item you make, while arguably meeting the requirements, is not tagged with what the game is looking for for it to be acceptable. These were the poor puzzles from the 1st 2 games in the 1st place.

The good puzzles are the ones that ask you to navigate a situation, not the ones that just ask you for an answer to a question.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Meh, not a comics fan by any means, so most of those jokes will go over my head. I'm happy this game is coming, but it's not for me.

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

I predict this will be on sale for a few milliseconds in Europe, only to be pulled with no explanation and to never be heard of again.
Polygon need to issue a statement over the Unlimited fiasco before trying to kid us into believing this one will be ready by the Autumn.

Morph

Morph said:

Can NL find out whats happening with scribblenauts unlimited in europe

Frapp

Frapp said:

I wonder if there'll be any shops still selling videogames by the time this comes out in Blighty.

Hipofrenia

Hipofrenia said:

Depending on the score it gets in the reviews if I'll buy it or not.
But initially sounds a pretty great idea (x

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

The second this is released the online mode will be filled with Marvel characters.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

@PvtOttobot

I had no idea scribblenauts unlimited had not been released in Europe, that's weird because I know a PAL version exists, I've seen it in Australian stores

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

Being a big comic book fan, I would much rather have this one than Unlimited anyway. I was all prepared to get Unlimited when it got released in EU but now I would wait for this one.

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

@ferthepoet
It was released but withdrawn on the release day. A tiny number of people managed to get hold of the game but most of us who ordered it are still waiting! No-one will say why, there was rumours that there was a non-english dictionary problem which caused the withdraw. no'one knows anything or whether it will ever get released.

Come on NintendoLife, work your magic and find out for us PLEASE !!

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Still peed off as the UK still haven't got Unlimited,hopefully this won't be the case with unmasked.