Road Redemption Developer Has No Legal Worries Regarding Road Rash Comparison

Posted by Damien McFerran

"EA does not hold a copyright or patent on motorcycle combat"

DarkSeas Games has stated that Road Redemption is an attempt to resurrect the kind of action made famous by the Road Rash series, but could this potentially lead to legal issues?

Apparently not. Speaking to The Jace Hall Show, DarkSeas Games stated that it has nothing to be concerned about when it comes to the game's uncanny similarity to EA's own motorcycle combat racer:

JHS: EA still holds the rights to the Road Rash franchise, correct?

DS: EA does not hold a copyright or patent on motorcycle combat. There are no legal issues to worry about.

Road Redemption has raised $113,000 of its $160,000 Kickstarter goal, with four days left on the clock.

[via jacehallshow.com]

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I'm so looking forward to this, hope they make their Kickstater goals.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Yes, EA owns the rights to Road Rash and this is not Road Rash. I can't see any real issue here.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Current day EA would be incapable of making a cool motorcycle combat game like they used too. Let another developer try

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

I bet EA are remaining quiet until the point the game is successful, then their leeching lawyers will surface!

SLiM

SLiM said:

I think its about time we have another motorcycle combat game come along.

steamhare

steamhare said:

I don't think it should be a problem. The name is distinct, and Grand Theft Auto LIberty City Stories had motorcycle races that allowed clubbing your opponent much like road rash.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@chiptoon Do you have a fear of guns? It'll still be combat based even if there weren't guns. Most fantasy games we play are combat based. Does it make any difference if a guy is carrying a sword, but it's bad if someone carries a gun? I won't make fun of you if you have a fear of guns, they can empower anyone including ones you fear most, but if we can separate a sword from reality and know it's fiction, why can't we do that with guns?

Tra_Venous

Tra_Venous said:

The kickstarter is only at 71% of it's goal with only three days remaining...perhaps there'll be a spike in donations come payday?

JimLad

JimLad said:

This is the first project I've actually backed on Kickstarter. I've waited so long for a new Road Rash type game. Mega excited.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

That's a nice white Nintendo Wii U Pro Controller in the photo, has Nintendo released it in white in any region? Anyone??? I'd like to get a white one to match my white Wii U

Idiot-Pill

Idiot-Pill said:

@Damo Should be interesting to see how this works out! As another poster said, the last 3 day rush tends to bring in most peoples pledges.. especially those that were umming and arring. It will certainly be one to watch.

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

Another game that I really hope reaches its funding goal. I'm loving these spiritual successors and hope to see more of them pop up.

timp29

timp29 said:

How does that one guy carry a samurai sword, shotgun and baton. He must have large pockets.
This game looks amazing :D, I would buy this day 1.

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

@HeatBombastic That was a bit of an off hand comment - I guess its not just the guns but the overall violence. I was a huge fan of Road Rash back in the day. Road Rash 2 was probably my favorite Megadrive game next to Sonic 2. But the tone was entirely different. Road Rash was really camp and the violence was basically comical, which was highlighted by the funny animations at the end of each stage. There were 'good' characters who generally frowned on violence and bad ones who were basically vicious bastards. It was an illegal race, where violence was an option, but not actually encouraged, and when there was violence it was comical.

Now its assassination missions, neck stabbing and guns.

The racing part looks great, just don't see myself enjoying this.

EDIT: And yes I am afraid of guns. I live in one of the more dangerous countries in the world. Anyone not afraid of guns needs a reality check.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

This is going to be my first kick starter that I donate towards, shovel knight would have been my first, but I missed the dead line for that one.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

@Musharna
I see it was released but I don't think it was released in Europe because I can't find it on amazon.co.uk or amazon.de or any European site, another thing I can't find is the 'RVL 014' official Wii sensor bar. Nintendo is up to their tricks again treating European gamers with contempt.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

Well it looks like it will be coming for sure as its just passed it's target.It was looking doubtful there for a while but a surge of late backers has taken it over its target with still 2 days to go.This is great and all but we wont be seeing it anytime before the end of of 2014 :(