Rex Rocket Developer Keen To Bring Zelda-Style Blossom Tales To Nintendo Systems

Posted by Damien McFerran

Inspired by Zelda: A Link to the Past

Rex Rocket developer Rob Maher has exclusively revealed to us that his team plans to bring Zelda-style adventure Blossom Tales to either the 3DS or Wii U.

Speaking in an interview which is due to go live on Nintendo Life tomorrow, Maher had this to say:

Depending on the success of Rex Rocket, we have big plans to bring a previous title that I had been working on called Blossom Tales, a Zelda-like game that I think stems from my inner kid and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past being one of the unobtainable games of my youth. Set in the world of Blossom, the game follows a young and newly initiated Knight of the Rose, Lily. After King Orchid is double-crossed and cursed to sleep by the Wizard Crocus, it's up to Lily to find ingredients to concoct a potion that will restore the King.

We are hoping to pave the way with Rex Rocket onto Nintendo and follow it up with Blossom Tales — depending on the success of Rex Rocket, we may develop a sequel first. Nintendo is the primary goal for us, 100%.

The Rex Rocket Kickstarter is still on-going, with 23 days remaining. Be sure to pledge your support and show the developer that there's an audience for this kind of thing on Nintendo systems, and you could be playing Blossom Tales in the near future.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

If its half as good as Zelda it will be worth the purchase! I'm so happy the RPG boom is back in full force again! Where am I going to find all the time for these games!?!?

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

This Kickstarter stuff is getting increasingly ridiculous.

Depending on the success of the current Kickstarter, they may begin working on a future title, and we should support the current one if we like the future one? Really?

"Be sure to pledge your support and show the developer that there's an audience for this kind of thing on Nintendo systems, and you could be playing Blossom Tales in the near future."

Is Nintendolife endorsing this company or something? This doesn't sound like a very objective thing to say...

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

It looks like Rex Rocket's Kickstarter will easily make it.

Too bad I'm too young to back projects.

Windy

Windy said:

@DrKarl I guess this Kickstarter thing is the wave of the future for Indie gaming. what happens if a company runs away with pledges? Or can kickstarter prevent that from happening?

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

@Windy There are a ton of unknowns regarding Kickstarter at the moment. The general consensus is that backing a project is a gamble. I have seen some projects get VERY ugly.

I consider myself to have been lucky so far. I Kickstarted Diamond Trust of London, and it was as smooth of an experience as I could have ever hoped to have.

The worst I have experienced has been a long delay with Ogre Designers Edition from Steve Jackson games. I'm used to massive delays with boardgames though, so I can wait that one out.

I'm still waiting for Wasteland 2, Double Fine Adventure, SpaceVenture & Torrent. They are all currently on track, but that could change. Also, they could suck as games too! I hope not. :)

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

Well, Rex Rocket and this both look like the type of games that I'd love to play. I'm really looking forward to checking them both out. Unfortunately, I can't back Rex Rocket at this time, but I'll definitely snag a copy whenever I can on whatever platform it's available on.

FernandoMachado

FernandoMachado said:

when you support something on kickstarter do you still have to buy the game or they'll send you a download code over when it's ready?

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Judging by the Youtube trailer, this looks better suited for 3DS eShop than Wii U.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

@Windy Nope. When you pledge, you are essentially handing them money for nothing but a promise. There is no 100% guarantee or contract either. Kickstarter has stated that it bears no responsibility for the projects being backed, so you're out of luck if the promised content does not come.

Rief

Rief said:

Do we really need a game with such bad graphics?
I mean, it is only nostalgic if the game would actually come from an era were this graphic was standard...
I'm not asking for high-end, but please, please make at least PS1-Graphic like Alundra...

RikuzeYre

RikuzeYre said:

Well if it doesnt meet the funding target you get the money back, but from there its all up in the air

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

While it's not perfect the art style sure is better than the "Super Generic Safe No one will like it, no one will dislike it" Zelda LTTP Sequel remake whatever it is.

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

Should have known there would be a direct link to Kickstarter. It's like the guy who writes these articles spends most of his time on kickstarter.com and if he sees something he likes, he writes about it and posts it on nintendolife.com. How is this news? I don't care if it's "related to Nintendo".

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

It's a neat game and I will download a 3DS version, but I need more commitment of it happening.

If the Wii U/3DS versions were the lead Kickstarter version I would support it more.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@Rief Not really getting the whole 'tribute to 16 bit Zelda' thingy, are we?
You're statement also shows that you're completely missing the point, so it is incorrect, because nostalgia is definitely NOT only related to games coming from a certain era. It is the trick to use SIMILAR graphics and fuse them with modern techniques that, when done right, will EVOKE those EXACT nostalgic feelings in us while we play it.
Oh, and the graphics whore thing is so 2012...
This game looks beautifully retro, PERIOD.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Good grief @Wilord you can't possibly be serious. Not liking Kickstarter is one thing but to want Nintendo Life to not post the stuff is annoyingly juvenile.

ueI

ueI said:

This game certainly looks pretty and has a charming setting. But I don't want Rex Rocket.

NintendoPro64

NintendoPro64 said:

@Wilford111
Well, thanks to Nintendo's more controlled licensing approach, the eShop doesn't get flooded with thousands of games each week, so it's easier to take each announcement more seriously. Plus this is the generation where Nintendo aims to make amends with indies and so far it seems to be working! :)