Orion's Odyssey: A Pattern Blocks Adventure Reboots Kickstarter Campaign

Posted by Lee Meyer

If at first you don't succeed...

A few weeks ago, we reported on a DS Kickstarter project from developer Island Officials called Orion's Odyssey: A Pattern Blocks Adventure. The ambitious Kickstarter goal was to raise enough funds to release a limited run retail edition of the unreleased, finished puzzle title. For various reasons, the lofty goal wasn't met - but that hasn't stopped Island Officials from trying again, this time in the form of a more practical goal.

The developer hopes to raise enough money to bring Orion's Odyssey to DSiWare, allowing for a much wider (and cheaper) release. The game combines puzzle gameplay on the touch screen and a story on the top screen that progresses as you play. Island Officials is no stranger to the puzzler genre, having previously developed Hands On! Tangrams for the DS.

Check out the Kickstarter page for Orion's Odyssey: A Pattern Blocks Adventure. Does it look like something you'd be interested in backing? Let us know in the comments.

[via kickstarter.com]

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

I find this a much better route.

That goal was overpriced to go for a retail version of a console going for limited print runs.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Much better. Retail may have been a nice idea, but this is is way more realistic, an will make them more money in the long run. I'm still hoping this comes to Europe :)

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@HeatBombastic @Aviator And it wasn't funny the first time.

Kickstarter is here to stay, and offers a valid (and indispensable) route into self-publishing for small-scale developers - many of which simply could not bring their ideas to life without this sort of funding system.

If you dislike us covering Nintendo-related Kickstarter campaigns, then don't visit the site. Simple.

nechestriah

nechestriah said:

I don't get all the Kickstarter hate... it's a really great way for small developers to make good games without the greedy publishers sticking their grubby little hands in everything.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

@Damo I personally like the Kickstarter coverage on this site. I haven't donated to any of the ones featured here yet, but even if I never do it is nice to hear about them.

And if you don't like it it really isn't that difficult to just scroll past the article and click on something else.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

Back on topic, I don't really want any more DSiware—my 1000 blocks available for those went fast. I wish we could just boot them from the SD card.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

I agree with Aviator. It feels like half of the articles are on kickstarter campaigns, and it is actually making me less inclined to donate because I'm annoyed at the sheer amount of them. It's almost as if these are posted when there are slow news days and you need to fill space. No offense to Damo, but that is just how I personally see it. Also, that was a little extreme to respond that way towards Aviator for such a simple comment. Apparently, it's not the first time he said it, but I can see his point.

And now that I posted this, I'm going to recieve a tidal wave of hate, but whatever. It has been bothering me for a while and I had to say something.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

@Ambassador_Kong
How will there be a difference except from tacked-on 3D and a slightly wider screen? All releasing on DSi means is a (slightly) increased target audience.

ueI

ueI said:

Well, people pledged over $7,000 last time, and they only need $4,000 this time. It looks like they don't need any money from me.

slidecage

slidecage said:

how can they call this DSIWERE when on their board it says

Nintendo Eshop or DSIWERE

so this means you can download it on the 3ds???

I would of gave 5 for it ....10 is way too much i can get a FF game for 10 on vita for that

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I agree with damo, kickstarter would most likely bring games to all tastes and here at nintendo life, they let you know about the game and if you want to support the game but you are not forced to, you can help pay for the game so it can be released and people can enjoy it on the 3ds or wii u. Once again remember you don't have to donate money if you want.

Klinny

Klinny said:

I am thinking about backing this. I feel as though there are not enough puzzle blocks in my life.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

So much hate in these comments...

@Damo- I agree with you, dude. I also like the kickstarter coverage because it introduces me to small game projects- some of which I'm interested in. I now own a limited edition Diamond Trust of London thanks to Nintendo Life, A jewel I'd never have found on my own.

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

I appreciate you pointing out different kickstarter campaigns. I don't frequent many video game-related sites, so I wouldn't be aware of any of them if not for this site.

It's also nice to hear that people are developing games for the Wii U and 3DS...not sure what the downside is. It's so easy to ignore the articles you have no interest in.

TG1

TG1 said:

Thanks for this article, and the recent follow-up interview also. The game looks fun & has my support.

kirbygirl

kirbygirl said:

It has my support too. This seems like it will be a lot of fun for puzzle fans, their KS goals are very modest, and the rewards for backers are pretty cool. I hope they reach their goal.