New Sonic Title, Lost World, Will be Exclusive to Wii U and 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Nintendo announces worldwide partnership with SEGA

Today's Nintendo Direct broadcasts didn't include a significant number of major reveals, but one surprising announcement was that the next Sonic the Hedgehog title, Lost World, will be exclusive to Wii U and 3DS. Satoru Iwata announced a new worldwide partnership with SEGA for the famous mascot, though it was only confirmed for this particular release; the tone was certainly positive, however.

Nintendo systems have had exclusive Sonic releases in the past, with examples such as Sonic Colours on Wii and DS, but this is nevertheless welcome news, especially for Wii U. The name had already leaked recently, but Nintendo and SEGA had kept this exclusivity tightly under wraps.

In truth nothing was said about the game, but we're promised details soon; the E3 Nintendo Direct is a good bet. The concept art does show a welcome return of Sonic perched on Tails' plane, so perhaps this adventure will focus on those two iconic characters.

Here's what Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime had to say about the new deal:

The onetime rivalry between Mario and Sonic has grown into a friendship that has never been closer. These announcements in conjunction with SEGA demonstrate the commitment we have to bringing great games to the Wii U platform, and set the stage for our upcoming announcements at E3.

Are you excited about an exclusive Sonic on Nintendo systems, and are any of you SEGA fans bemoaning the loss of the old rivalry? Sound off in the comments below.

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

Looks like a Sonic crossover with 'The colonists of Catan' board game, judging from that one screenshot ;)

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I for one am pretty surprised that this game turned out to be exclusive but this has obviously happened before with Sonic Colors. I fully expected it to come to other consoles as well. I hope this game turns out least as good as Sonic Colors did. I just wish I could of seen even a small snippet of game play footage of the game. I'd like to know what features this new entry in the Sonic franchise will bring to the table.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Maybe Nintendo is actually helping Sega on the development...? That would be a way to break the Sonic Cycle and get a great Sonic game out there.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@justinj42

What NO. I mean Sonic colors was a WII exclusive but the next game completely ignored the platform. '

Still good news I guess since sonic games seem to do the best on Nintendo Platforms. Still i'm bettiing this is a timed exclusive and once those probable lackluster sales come up were going to see the announcements of other console six months from release.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

I am very excited for this. The screenshot is very interesting and the partnership is also a cool surprise. The possibilities for this game are never ending!

Banjogeek

Banjogeek said:

The reason that they are not developing on next gen platforms PS4/Nextbox they don't a repeat of 06

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

It sounded to me like this is only one game in this exclusive partnership. Not sure if that only includes sonic or if other sega franchises will be included like monkey ball, phantasy star, shenmue, yakuza, etc.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Good news; Nintendo helping Sega with this new game ought to increase the potential. Tails flying a plane with Sonic on it reminds me of Sonic Adventure.

Wiicube64

Wiicube64 said:

How many rubbish sonic games have there been over the years?
This isn;t like the mario franchise
I think this being an exclusive may have held weight years ago but now?

manu0

manu0 said:

I guess this is the start of an 'unprecedented partnership' between Nintendo and Sega.

Wiicube64

Wiicube64 said:

Of course if a new streets of rage, ecco the dolphin, revenge of shinobi and crazy taxi came out all playable on the wii u gamepad I might be more forgiving :)

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

I didnt care for colors generations or unleashed. Hopefully lost world will leave the gimmicks behind. I did enjoy the black knight tho so my tastes of sonic games is a tad off.

Shworange

Shworange said:

I think it's a great move to have the two "old school" companies team up to combat the "new school". It's a move that further cements the idea that you don't have to stay in lock step with one direction of gaming. Why not boldly proclaim that we are giving you something different. We are taking gaming in a different direction. If you want to buy EA and things like that, go Sony. If we speak to you, buy us. Product differentiation is going to be increasingly crucial to Nintendo if they wish to survive in the future. This partnership is one positive small step in a series of steps and leaps that will be vital for their longevity. Embracing indie developers wholly is another that they've been gaining a lot of traction on. Next is creating new IPs that excite gamers and speak to everyone.

hypercoyote

hypercoyote said:

Hmmm, it almost looks "Super Mario Galaxy"-ish. It would be awesome if they could use the same formula that worked so well with Mario Galaxy to make a great Sonic 3D game. And work the bugs out too...

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

@hydeks and the 3DS bub.
Sonic and Nintendo teaming up for a sonic game, huh?

Something is telling me that this is going to rock after Colors and Generations.

Judah_83

Judah_83 said:

Now if only sega cld bring sega sports nfl2k back out lol. Cant do it because EA has the NFL rights locked up I think. What a bummer.
Anyway If its anything like galaxy then I'm on board, Nevertheless this is promising.

Ryno

Ryno said:

A part of my inner child just died knowing that Nintendo and Sega have come to exclusive agreement on a Sonic game

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

I don't see why fans make a big deal when there are other playable characters other than Sonic. Sure playing as Big isn't the best but other characters are just as fun as Sonic. I'm really looking forward to this game though. Maybe it'll combine Unleased and Adventure type gameplay. But seriously, I can't be the only one who thinks that playing as Sonic's friends can ge a good thing.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

@pikchuka97
Because most people DON'T think the other characters are as fun as sonic.

Why would you want them wasting time making other crappy characters when they could be adding more sonic stages?

WebHead

WebHead said:

Sounds awesome! Looking forward to this.

Nintendo entering a 3 sonic game partnership with Sega is good.

klautrec

klautrec said:

Awesome!! I still love sonic, and I hope this game will be more like colors, with great setting and gameplay! gotta go fast!!!!!!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Hopefully their partnership lead to a new F-Zero. Sega had always tend to bring great games to Nintendo platforms, it would be great if Shenmue 3 and Skies of Acadia Legends 2 were made to be Wii U exclusives too.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Nice! Sega has been making great games for Sonic lately and I hope this game continues that trend!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

The design of the world in the picture really reminds me of the design of the space theme park in Sonic Colours, hence I'm thinking this is going to be a sequel to Sonic Colours. I hope its mostly 3D, I enjoy those more than the 2D sonics, personally.

Williaint

Williaint said:

@Smitherenez
I have to get here earlier, so I can say something like that!

I'm excited to see some new Sonic games, and am extremely intrigued by Nintendo and Sega's "worldwide partnership". How much of a "partnership", is it?

bassoongoon

bassoongoon said:

Hopefully this will be pretty cool! It makes me realize that I should probably add Sonic Colours to my collection. I think I pretty much gave up on Sonic after Shadow the Hedgehog haha

LordessMeep

LordessMeep said:

Can't wait to see some gameplay for this one. Hopefully the 3DS version measures up to the console one. :)

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

Again 1000 year old gamer's rumors are true! That guy is amazing. Anyway this seems to have great potentional.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Cool! Big fan of Sonic, especially after playing Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations.

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

@Linkstrikesback
Well, I agree playing as Sonic is what I enjoy most in Sonic games, playing as Shadow or Knuckles really adds extra depth to a game. Those characters's play styles may not suite everyone's tastes but it's nice to have options.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I love to hear that Nintendo and Sega are partnering up, they make a great team. It's surreal to see the rivalry officially come to a close, but I'm more than excited to see some great Sega games show up on the Wii U and 3DS- more so than just the Sonic series :3

BrightBeing

BrightBeing said:

We all know that SEGA is in big trouble financially. And although I was always much more a Nintendo fan than a SEGA fan, I know that most Nintendo fans have a special affinity for our former arch rivals. I know that I absolutely love some SEGA franchises I've been able to play over the years on friends consoles!

I've always said that if SEGA had to be sold, I'd pray that Nintendo bought them. The reason I say this is because I think that Nintendo "gets" SEGA more than any other company despite being former competitors. Imagine if Sony or Microsoft bought SEGA! I'd imagine the company would be all but destroyed and the characters and brand would quickly fade away.

Nintendo has the bucks. SEGA does not. Nintendo has talented programmers. SEGA's staff has been crippled over the years. SEGA and Nintendo are a match made in heaven.

Also, look at recent developments: SEGA and Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed had the majority of its sales on Wii U. Bayonetta 2 is exclusive to Wii U. The new Sonic is exclusive to Wii U. And let's face it: The Wii U is practically what everyone imagined a Dreamcast 2 to be. I'd say SEGA has thrown its hat in with Nintendo, if not outright been acquired. At the very least, they're turning out to be a very close 3rd party developer kind of like Rare once was.

I welcome all these developments. Now if Nintendo would just fund a new Shenmue, I'd die a happy man. :-)

BrightBeing

BrightBeing said:

As a side note, During the Wii Generation, I had a PS3 too. Sonic Generations was by far one of my favorite games on the system.

gavn64

gavn64 said:

Someone say the word nintendo in that timeless sonic the hedgehog on megadrive jingle "seeggaa"

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Oh God, another Sonic game I'll have to collect and play someday...at least this one will be good...

But the overall Sega/Nintendo Partnership sounds interesting. Bayonetta 1, anyone?

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

They said it's action adventure, does that mean it'll be like the adventure titles? If so this will be on top of my games to get. Also if this is true , they better bring back the chao!

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I don't care what the game's about, neither do I care how it will play... yet. All I know is that I'm getting it for my Wii U. Especially since I've liked every 3D Sonic title released (even Sonic 06 - so go ahead, bash me if you like).

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

People always look at Nintendo as not supporting 3rd parties when actually they have formed major partnerships with major Japanese devs.

Atlus
Namco Bandai
Tecmo Koei
Capcom
Square Enix
Sega

If only they could strike deals with western devs...

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

@BrightBeing - I like the way you think! I couldn't have said it better myself.

On topic; (in Macho Man voice) OOOOOOHHHHHHHH YYYYEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

Pray to god this isn't the Sonic Cycle. We've had new Sonic games dodge this bullets at least three times now, let's pray for a fourth occurrence!

DashDG

DashDG said:

I trully believe that in this days SEGA dont want to see another Dreamcast catastrophe. In the end SEGA+Nintendo as excluvise is something thats going to happen sooner or later... In japan, there are gentlemans!!!!!

pntjr

pntjr said:

I LOVE IT! Wii U exclusives are why I bought this console in the first place!

digga

digga said:

this has made my day i love sonic,, and nintendo and sega in a partnership would be awesome

TheSonicdude97

TheSonicdude97 said:

o_0 And NOW I have a reason to buy a Wii U. P.S. YESSS, A NEW SONIC GAME OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED!!! HECK YEAH!!!! :D

Beta

Beta said:

AHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA! Oh my God... My stoma- AHAHAHAHA! :') is looking at the SEGA FB page Oh God...The butthurt and Nintendo haters tears are over 9000 :') My dream has come true! :')
Now if only Nintendo gets Final Fantasy VII HD remake as an exclusive... Oh God! OCEANS OF TEARS AND MILLIONS OF BUTTHURT TOILETS! X'''D
We only get crap games and third-party crap on us? Well, LOOK AT WHERE YOUR FAVORITE FRANCHISE GO YOU FREAKIN' HATERS! >8D Bayonetta, and now this! I just have this satisfied feeling when I look at them, remembering all the doom talk and how they made fun of us...

Henmii

Henmii said:

Hopefully it will be great, just as Colors! But I guess the 3DS version will just be a cheap spin-off!!