Madden NFL Is Skipping Nintendo Systems For The First Time Since 1991

Posted by Damien McFerran

"We have a strong partnership with Nintendo" claims EA

Electronic Arts has revealed that Madden NFL 25 will not be making an appearance on the Wii U this year. The snub means that the series is skipping Nintendo systems entirely for the first time since 1991 — the year that saw the original John Madden Football arrive on the Super Nintendo.

EA has already stated that no more Madden titles will be hitting the 3DS, which means that last year's Wii U launch title Madden NFL 13 is your only real option if you're a fan of the long-running franchise and don't own any other gaming systems beside Nintendo's.

According to Nintendo World Report, the official statement from the publisher reads as follows:

We will not be releasing a Wii U version of Madden NFL in 2013. However, we have a strong partnership with Nintendo and will continue to evaluate opportunities for delivering additional Madden NFL products for Nintendo fans in the future.

Whatever happened to that "unprecedented partnership" we heard about all those months ago?

[via nintendoworldreport.com]

Midnight3DS

Midnight3DS said:

This... is not good. This sounds like a GM giving a coach the vote of confidence, then firing him 3 games later.

NFL2K was the superior franchise, anyway.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

EA certainly has the right to choose which platforms are best for its games, but please cut the "strong partnership" nonsense. In what sense is there a partnership?

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

"Whatever happened to that 'unprecedented partnership' we heard about all those months ago?"

Unprecedented in that it's a partnership without partners.

Painmaster212

Painmaster212 said:

I don't understand EA, this is not a smart move at all by this garbage company because as easy as Maddeb is to copy and paste each year why skip any platforms? Still pissed about the whole origins thing huh EA.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

If you have a partnership like that you have no need of for competition...Nintendo should ban all EA products on their systems for the scam EA is doing. What they are doing is realy getting ridiculous.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Yeah Seahawks!

No EA support for 2013 for WiiU? I'm sure 2014 will turn that around..

ocarinaoftime

ocarinaoftime said:

More wiiu hate and bad news....same old third party bullcrap....wiiu rocks ....when's the wiiu hate ever going to end....

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Much more worrying: Not a single Ice Hockey game on either 3DS and Wii U! Nintendo should step up and revive the NES franchise. As for Madden and even if American Football is not very big over here in Europe, it's still a blast to play with friends. Guess I will have to keep my Wii around to play "NFL Blitz" instead...

MeWario

MeWario said:

I think they just mustn't have had time to make a version that incorporates the second screen like they would have wanted. Lets face it, the touch screen pad is perfect for making plays and organising player positions etc but it would seem lazy if it wasn't applied well. Next year ill bet we get the best version on Wii U!

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Lets not release games for the 3DS or Wii U but say that we have a good partnership with Nintendo. That will make the Nintendo fans love us.

edhe

edhe said:

@SilentHunter382

"Then they'll buy our many Wii U games..."

~~~

I'd really like to know the real story behind why EA are snubbing the Wii U after declaring their undivided support at E3 a few years back.

GermenatorHue

GermenatorHue said:

This whole deal says more about EA's financial situation than anything else, they don't have the financial confidence to infest in a relatively new system like the Wii U, especially since Madden doesn't sell Nintendo systems.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

You can't hold them to stuff they said 2 years ago when Wii U sales are as low as this. NFS: Most Wantef sold SIX THOUSAND copies in March! They're not even going to make their money back on the port. No company with any sense would go ahead with a project that will lose money, so how can you all blame them? When Wii U games start selling enough for them to make a profit, they'll put their games out.

edhe

edhe said:

@Peach64

Ubisoft didn't run away like scared children. They committed themselves.

It isn't necessarily paying off, but that's because other publishers (and Nintendo) aren't releasing games for the Wii U.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

@edhe These companies are businesses. Even Nintendo. Their goal is to make money. They will have lost a lot of money by doing that Wii U version of NFS, so I don't see how people can get mad at them for waiting for the install base to increase. If you ran a company, would you push ahead with a project that would cost you a few million if you knew you'd make less than half a million in return? It would be a pretty poorly run company that thinks such a move is smart.

It's disappointing for all of us, but the reason is pretty clear, and not dumb at all.

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro said:

Wow. Nobody is a bigger Ninty fan than me but this is NOT good. Things are very much becoming Nintendo does THIS, everyone else does THIS. Which is fine in some cases, but c'mon- You don't wanna be the only one in your group of friends not playing a game... It's becoming where a PS or MS console is essential, and a Nintendo console is essential only to those, like me, who just can't imagine themselves missing one of Nintendo's own 20-plus great franchises. Any way you spin this though, missing out on one of the biggest selling franchises of all-time on your consoles is never good...

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Does the Madden franchise sell Nintendo systems? No, it does not.

The series will be back on the Wii U next year ,when sales are up. Or better yet, they lose the exclusivity license, and another company will put a football game out on Wii U.

Or even better option, we get a Nintendo All-Stars football game with characters from all their franchise. It would sell better than a Madden game would on Wii U.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

I'm very unhappy about this news, though not surprised, and frankly I can't blame Electronic Arts. Madden NFL '13 and Madden NFL 3D sold VERY poorly on Wii U and 3DS respectively. Why should they spend resources to produce a port that will almost certainly lose money? If Wii U somehow gets past the 10 million units shipped mark by Q1 2014, I'd say odds are better of a Madden return to Nintendo.

8thGenConsoles

8thGenConsoles said:

@Peach64 Cool story Peach but here's the thing: someone has to release games on the Wii U whether it's selling like crap or not because if they don't, then people won't buy the Wii U at all. Gamers won't buy a system without games so one of them have to take risks with the Wii U.

EA is not releasing their games on Wii U because they don't want to take risks and because they are butthurt that Nintendo said no to Origins.

Ubisoft on the other hand is still developing games for the Wii U NO MATTER WHAT because they are committed and have a strong partnership with Nintendo.

EA is not even going to release Madden NFL 25 for the 3DS and the 3DS is selling like hot cakes so what's the excuse here?

PokeTune

PokeTune said:

Hahahah! Oh wow! Nintendo can`t even get a simple Madden game on the Wii U? Christ, this console is awful.

MiNiStRy

MiNiStRy said:

Probably because they have no programmers that could use the gamepad the way it should be used in the game.
I also put it down to ea hating the wii u because they wouldn't bow to their online service.

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

hm EA's story is getting juicer by the week .... i still believe major restructuring is in order... they might make some games for ps4/nextbox but highly doubt it...

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

@PokeTune So if someone doesn't release a game on the system it's the company that made the consoles fault. So if I don't release a game on the PS3, is it Sony's fault that I didn't release it on the system and makes the system awful.

RCMADIAX

RCMADIAX said:

I predict that EA will be the next THQ or Acclaim by the start of the PS5/Xbox4/Wii3 Generation. As much as a hate Activision sometimes, it seems their the only publisher that knows how to survive.

Pod

Pod said:

Now I wouldn't normally care, but this is pretty big, even if it is a game I don't personally play. It all smells of poor business for both EA and Nintendo.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Peach64 that's a bunch of nonsense, they have Madden for the vita and I guarantee you no matter how poorly the nextbox sells they will have madden on it. They had madden on the 360 with nearly the same install base the wii u has at the moment

Peach64

Peach64 said:

@WiiURockz I agree consoles need games in order to sell, but Wii U sales are of no concern to EA. One company should not be expected to take a loss in order to help out another company's console. The 3DS hardware numbers are improving, but EA is still seeing bad sales for its games. I'm pretty sure if Watchdogs, Splinter Cell and Assassins Creed IV all make a loss for Ubisoft then they'd pull out too.

These companies don't make decisions on who they like or don't like. If EA knew they'd make money by releasing a Wii U game they would, and I believe in a year or so they'll be making Wii U games again. Ultimately the only company responsible for selling Wii U hardware is Nintendo.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Peach64 exactly EA knows who they can get over on and they know its not Nintendo fans, do me a favor and explain to me why in the hell did they release ME3 for $60 on the wii u and at the same time release ME1-3 for the same price for xbox and ps3 and then complain because it didn't sell well on the wii u , I can go on about how horrible of a company EA is for days but I'm pretty damn sure you're not prepared for that so I'll just leave it be

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

@Peach64 is right. EA has no obligation to support Wii U. (Let's forget, for the moment, that the company sent some empty suit on stage at E3 2011 to pledge support for the console. As soon as the ice cream and cake were gone, so was that guy.) This is money and business. EA is struggling, and it needs to be prudent with its investments. No one is going to jump their claim in one year. The market will still be there a year from now. There are only 3 million Wii U consoles out there, and how many of those people are football fans and fans of Madden? It doesn't make sense for EA. This is on Nintendo for not making the console attractive to developers and gamers. This console has been on the market for five months, and all we've gotten are promises of how great things will be. Don't get me wrong, I own it and love it, but Nintendo has mishandled this from day one and is paying the price with every cancellation.

kenzo

kenzo said:

Potential third party developers are putting the nut squeeze on Nintendo.

They know Nintendo is sitting on a pile of cash and will be needing them desperately to fill out the WiiU gaming lineup for Christmas and beyond.

Show us the money they say. CEO Awata will have to play hard ball.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Burning_Spear total sales are closer to 4 million and compare that to the 360 having somewhere around 4.5 million 5 months after launch and 360 had a madden for it at that time and NCAA football also, you're right EA has no obligation to support the wii u and why bother in the first place if you're going to half ass support it anyway like with Mass effect, and you're definitely right about EA struggling but they bring that on themselves you can keep screwing over your customers  and expect everything to just be ok that goes for any business

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

@LDXD EA was in better shape when the 360 launched. It could afford to invest for the future. And that was different management. They reorganized a month or two ago, and those things are usually accompanied by a clampdown on expenditures.

Darkone008

Darkone008 said:

Didn't Madden skip a couple years for the N64 too. The football games I remember is NFL Blitz and Quarterback Club. I think there was one Madden game or two. One of them was unlicensed I think as well.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Decided years ago that EA no longer deserves my money. A properly made Madden or Tiger Woods or FIFA could be a system seller, which would in turn sell more games. I don't understand their business logic, unless EA has some sort of backdoor deal with either MS or Sony to really screw Ninty.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

@PokeTune Yes, you can say that the console is awful if you forget the fact that Madden as been on the Nintendo consoles since when?
(since 1991?)
Since 1991! It has been on Game boy, Snes, N64, Game Boy Color, Advance, Gamecube, Ds, Wii, and on the 3ds! Had there been any issues with the console itself, EA would've stopped then and there.

Oh and Madden 13 on the WiiU says hi.
Untitled

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Well this sure isn't going to help sales for Wii U. This sucks. I miss the early days of Nintendo's past consoles. I like the Wii U a lot but they sure haven't done as well as they have in the past.

DePapier

DePapier said:

I think that's a wise choice. I know I won't buy anymore third-party games, at least at launch, when Nintendo's releases come to the rescue, since I already have some to finish and some that I haven't even started yet, and I'll be busy with the likes of Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD and, who knows, maybe that retro Metroid or that 3D Mario.

It's gonna be a bad time for the third-parties that will try to play catch up on the Wii U (looking at you Rayman Legends), so that's a period they might as well ignore altogether.

mingzu

mingzu said:

The worst part is that Madden could have been a game that is better on the Wii U then on the other consoles. I think in the US the Tablet controls could have been a Wii U platform seller. Guest we don't have to look into any EA games anymore.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

So Madden's done with Nintendo? That's cool. I was done with Madden years ago. It's called innovation, EA, you should look into it.

Lin1876

Lin1876 said:

Oh boy, this is bad. While Madden is of no interest to me, for the Wii U to lose such a major game is a massive blow for the system, whatever the reasons may be.

bahooney

bahooney said:

Not bummed about this American Football game skipping the Wii U. I'm bummed about what this /potentially/ means for the console. I love Nintendo to death and I'm going to support them probably for life, but I just want some games, y'know? I'm excited about most of the games that have been announced so far, but I'm thinking I might have to cave and get a PS4 or summat to get a full gaming experience. I love the Wii U, and I love all of Nintendo's consoles, but I just really don't want a Virtual Boy or N64 scenario where there's only 20 or so must-haves and only three of those are developed by Nintendo. I'll be patient, as the heavy hitters haven't shown their faces yet. The Wii U still has tons of fight left in her!

rjejr

rjejr said:

On the one hand - EA has to make Madden for 2 new systems - PS4 and Kinectbox - each with their own subtle differences, plus PS3 and Xbox360 editions. So I can see them not having the resources or spending the money to make a WiiU edition. Nobody else has WiiU games coming out, why should they be the only one?

On the other hand - the 3DS is out there and selling well and this should be a great year for it w/ AC:NL Zelda 2 and X+Y, so not having it on that system does seem weird. Conspiracy theory weird. So maybe there is something to that Origins argument after all.

Don't see too much positive spin here today though, much less than Nintendo not having a big press conference at E3. Do I get to add this as another nail in the WiiU coffin? I think it's 2 now, maybe 3 ;-) (And yesterday seemed like such a positive day.)

GloryQuestor

GloryQuestor said:

@peach64 Well, here's more business-oriented things that should get EA thinking differently:

• Origin on PC hasn't really worked out as well as it could have;
  • They've had too many high-profile screw-ups, especially on the PC market, not to "restart" their brand on consoles again (SimCity);
  • Being labelled the Worst Company in America even further damaged their name brand;
  • The vast layoff picture is also not really giving anyone confidence.

If I were an investor right now, I'd probably end up declaring EA's stock "junk". They've hurt themselves so badly right now, they need a fresh start. Nintendo 3DS and Wii U are actually the best ways they could rebuild their brand image. By now, everyone knows that PS4 and the next XBox are already setting themselves up for a long-term failure, but Nintendo (and other companies) are looking to the future and see that, even if Wii U were to fail, 3DS is still a healthy platform with 13.95 Million global units and growing.

Bottom line: EA's either going to have to throw themselves into 3DS development and try to rebuild their brand, or get lost in the dust with a name brand that is now synonymous with "worst company for years". :-

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

1991 was probably the last year I bought Madden on a Nintendo system too.

If a publisher keeps on releasing inferior product on systems by a particular manufacturer, then they shouldn't be surprised if owners of said systems stop buying their product, especially in a global recession.

Mickamott

Mickamott said:

I understand that, while I am not a sports game fan myself, this is a considerable loss as the Madden franchise is one of the most successful franchises (financially) in the U.S. Which, by the way, is probably where the Wii U needs the biggest boost in sales. Now I do not "hate" EA as a company, for instance I love Mass Effect, Dead Space and Dragon Age, and I have yet to come across one of their microtransaction schemes that has deteriorated my gaming experience in a significant way. All said I recognize their lack of confidence in Nintendo and the Wii U, at least for the short-term. Unfortunately this is where the Wii U needs the most immediate help.

Regardless of EA's stance on the Wii U and their support of it this is no cause to start worrying about 3rd party support, even in the immediate future. The biggest supporters that come to mind are Ubisoft, Warner Bros., Activision, and SEGA. These asre just to name a few, and for the likes of Ubisoft (Rayman Legends debacle aside) some have shown unprecedented support of the console. Misshaps aside, I am still going to get Rayman day one. the challenge app they released has become one of my favorite Wii U activities. This is not to mention continued support in the form of Watch Dogs, and Assassin's Creed IV. Warner Bros. has even done me the courtesy of ending my personal Wii U drought with the release of the wonderful Injustice: Gods Among Us, and will further attribute to my enjoyment of the system with the confrimed release of Batman: Arkham Origins. All these 3rd party publishers are the people who will aid in the Wii U's ineivitable recovery, and they will profit both from their games and strengthened relationship with Nintendo. that's one of the best relationships a publisher/developer could hope for.

I am the biggest Nintendo fan I know (on par with this wonderful community I have discovered here at Nintendolife) and I simply can not sympathize with the fact that some 3rd party publishers do not believe I will buy their games. As a Nintendo fan, 1st party games come first, but that does not mean I will not buy or enjoy other games as well. I absolutely adore the Assassin's Creed series/open world style (Watch Dogs), am open to other platformers besides Mario (Rayman Legends), I love fighting games (Injustice: Gods Among Us), superhero games (Batman: Arkham Origins), and I love racing games besides Mario Kart (Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed). I own/have preordered every aforementioned game and greratly anticipate playing all of them, as well as potential unnanounced titles (cough GTA V cough). Now none of these is as anticipated as the new Smash Bros. or Zelda, but I still deeply enjoy these experiences.

To use music as metaphor, Nintendo are The Beatles. They have been around forever, have an unprecedented amount of original self-produced material, consistently sell well, have godlike level of quality, and can reinvent themselves in ways never thought possible. But if The Beatles were the only music group I listened to, then music would be pretty bland indeed.

bonham2

bonham2 said:

I guess that they were disappointed that they didn't sell more copies of Madden 13 on the Wii U when it was released 5 months after 360/PS3 versions(almost at the end of the season) on a new platform that only had around an install base of around 3 million that had already dropped hundreds on the console and a game or two (probably Mario and maybe ZombiU).

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

I am officially pissed at EA. It's been one thing and another with them The partnership with Nintendo never really happened and now their skipping one of their key franchises on Wii U to save a few bucks for a "port of a game only a few people will buy." I am so dissapointed in you EA.

QBertFarnsworth

QBertFarnsworth said:

Step 1: Release a gimmicky control scheme on Madden for the Wii (failure)
Step 2: Release a cartoony graphical style Madden on the Wii (failure)
Step 3: Use same unpopular cartoony style, on a striped-down, bare bones 3DS version. When it fails, blame the unpopularity of 3D
Step 4: Help Nintendo develop their online infrastructure. Brag about the strong partnership between the two companies
Step 5: Try to backdoor EA's proprietary Origin program into online infrastructure giving EA unprecedented control over Nintendo's online offerings.
Step 6: Get shot down
Step 7: Pout
Step 8: Pout
Step 9: Release gimped versions of previously promised games, watch them sell poorly
Step 10: Pull support, blame Nintendo.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

@GloryQuestor EA is in a bad place, that's not in question, but how is Nintendo the best choice for them to start over? Look at the Need For Speed sales. Heralded as the superior version but sales are beyond pathetic. What evidence is there for EA that sales for any other games will be better?

It's just your opinion that the next Playstation are setting themselves up for a failure. There's a lot of excitement for those new consoles right now. I don't think they are going to sell amazingly well in the first year, but they will have a buzz and excitement that the Wii U is lacking now. The most risk free way for EA to proceed is keep the 360 and PS3 as lead platforms, focus on the 150 million + users, while also producing enhanced ports for next gen that have a bit more sparkle but no real effort. That's exactly what they're going to do. Will the PS4 and Nextbox have 3.45 million sales by Christmas? Certainly not, but EA will still probably sell more Madden 25 on those consoles than the Wii U based on sales of Madden and NFS so far.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

@Peach64 The problem why the better version of NFS sold bad was because the people who wanted it bought it for the other systems 6 months ago. If it was released around the same time as the other version I can safely say it would have done a lot better in sales.

sonicfan1373

sonicfan1373 said:

@Peach64

I do agree with you on the fact that EA will probably support Nintendo in the future when the Wii U install base increases. However, much of what happened to them on the Wii U is their own fault, by the time they released many of their games on the platform other platforms had had those games for months and in many cases the older versions had more benefits than the Wii U versions of the game. Moreover, there are franchises that EA owns that I think will do really well on the Wii U eShop like Plants VS. Zombies, Monopoly, and many others but they are not experimenting with those either. Furthermore, EA is gambling on other next-gen consoles that will most likely be more expensive and not have a large initial install base. I don't know about you, but this shows that there is a lot of tension in the relationship between Nintendo and EA.

Midnight3DS

Midnight3DS said:

@Pichuka97 That's the thing. One thing after another, after another.. No way I'll white knight EA, and the excuseses are nothing but speculation at this time (no 3DS?), but Nintendo is stumbling here as well, and this is another black eye.

And this NFL exclusivity deal needs to die bad, clearly.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@Peach64 Your right, but EA change of stance regarding WiiU started before WiiU had launched.
Take into account that the WiiU sales for the past 5months reaching just under 4mil at last count is around the same as the 360 had and above what the Ps3 had in the first 5 months from thier launch the unit sales argument is void. Yes 360/Ps3 has a larger userbase, thus more sales potential but its taken years to build that userbase.
Next years Fifa, Madden etc will be on WiiU no doubt, along with other EA games.

real_gamer

real_gamer said:

EA....strong partnership? I think Tom and Jerry have a better partnership than you and Nintendo.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

This is pretty damaging actually. I don't play sports games but I know millions of other gamers do and for Nintendo to lose the biggest franchise in sports gaming is a HUGE HUGE blow. Basically it says you MUST own more than one system to alot of gamers & given the choices alot of people won't choose Wii U.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

Germane to this discussion is that EA has reportedly canned the Tiger Woods franchise for all platforms for next year and will bring it back in 2015. The company is clearly in self-preservation mode.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

EA is still butthurt about Nintendo going the opposite direction with the Wii U eShop.

EA is like the little rich kid who decides not to bring his football to school because he sucks at sports, therefore leaving the rest of the kids without anything to play with at recess. Luckily for the kids Nintendo has the best playground in the entire town.

If I was Iwata-san I wouldn't want this abysmal greed-fueled corporations products anyhow. I wouldn't work for EA even if they offered me the most ridiculous salary in the history of salaries. They can shove that money right up their... Yeah.

taffy

taffy said:

@Peach64 Have to disagree on a few points. NFS is not a good example of a game that should have sold well on the WiiU, a game which was already released on other platforms which have a larger online player count and confirmed support of DLC. Other examples would be Madden which 13 which did not have the Infinity engine on it. Mass Effect 3 I don't need to explain.

Why should WiiU owners pay the same price as other console owners for an inferior product. Same goes with Black Ops 2 which didn't have elite support, livestream and again DLC.

I agree that Nintendo haven't made a good push to promote the system but some of these publisher's haven't given consumers a good reason to get their games either. Ask yourself this, would EA release a game on the next gen consoles with certain features absent?

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

What douchebaggery!
Claiming "strong partnership" while skipping such a prominent title..
I don't buy EA products (although I have the first Mass Effect) but sadly this will have a negative effect on Wii U's ever poor popularity.

AVahne

AVahne said:

"However, we have a strong partnership with Nintendo and will continue to evaluate opportunities for delivering additional Madden NFL products for Nintendo fans in the future."
Lies. Everyone knows EA wants to try hurting Nintendo in every way they possibly can. So why go through the effort of thinking up a badly written lie when they can just tell the truth and say what they really meant?
I'm still amazed Criterion were able to release NFS for Wii U. I would've thought that EA would stop them at the door.

WiiUisBest

WiiUisBest said:

good partnership with Nintendo..Now that is truly laughable so EA i will not be buying any more games from you in boycott and so don't let the door hit your @ss on the way out

nik1470

nik1470 said:

Oh that does sting a little if America has the highest amount of WiiU's and even Madden skips it.

NintendoPro64

NintendoPro64 said:

ARE YOU KIDDING!?! THIS HAS WRITTEN ORIGIN ALL OVER IT! I doubt they'll support the Wii U if PS4 and Xbox 720 sell well. I mean come on, they've already confirmed ports for consoles that haven't even been fully revealed yet! There are rats scurrying around for sure...

Link41x

Link41x said:

I could care less if EA is too much of a sore loser over the the whole "Origin" thing, as long as other studios continue to support Wii U :)

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

EA's partnership with Nintendo is the same as the Wii-U's relationship with good games.

Non existent.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I have seen quite a few very interesting posts by some of the regulars at this site on this article. This is why NintendoLife is so great.

WildMan

WildMan said:

This is complete garbage.. I was going to buy this year's version of Madden this year for my Wii U!

NintendoPro64

NintendoPro64 said:

@AbeVigoda
Stop bashing the console's limited library! It'll have good first AND third party support by the second half the year.

PS: That wasn't funny OR clever.

KAHN

KAHN said:

as far as i'm concerned, i couldn't care less. sports games are not my thing, and i'll keep my reasons why to myself. as far as the WiiU goes, that doesn't bode well. whether or not i like them, a lot of people do like sports games, and are willing to buy every madden game even, though there are 5 of them on the same console.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

@NintendoPro64 I will admit that I am pretty new to being a part of a gaming community so perhaps my words were slightly overzealous. I just like being able to have conversations without them becoming immature bashing. I also like being able to see other people's viewpoints on certain topics.

NintendoPro64

NintendoPro64 said:

@Dpullam
I am a newbie myself. The place is cool at times, and I appreciate people not being blind fanboys, but the pessimism and mean-spiritedness of some people here is not cool OR what I joined this site to see. Honestly, I only started following gaming on the internet closely after the Wii U launched and beginning to see that the Internet can be a rough place... :(

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

@NintendoPro64 I understand what you are saying. I have been actively following the internet's idea of gaming for a few years before I started commenting myself and sometimes it can become quite discouraging to see some of the opinions people have about a variety of topics. I just believe that there are much more optimistic opinions on this site most of the time, and as long as this trend continues, I will keep being active on this website. At the very least I get quite a lot of interesting articles to read.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

The game wouldn't have sold well but Madden has never performed particularly well on Nintendo systems. Still a dumb move by EA because even just 100k sales is much better than zero. Honestly, I think MS mght have something big in the works to announce, like a next-gen exclusive on Madden 25, that would explain this.

MatthewWesley

MatthewWesley said:

3 things:
First; EA puts Madden on everything, even flip cellphones.
Second; While it is true that the snes didn't have madden, that console went on to dominate the market at that time.
Third; most Nintendo owners own more than one console so while this might be an affront, the sting is non-existent.
EA is in serious financial trouble and I hope it gets worse for them.

Midnight3DS

Midnight3DS said:

I'm not sure most Nintendo owners own more than one console. I don't have stats, but I highly, highly doubt most console owners own more than one.

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

I know this is meant to be a family-friendly website, so please pardon my language when I say the following: go to Hell, EA.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

I call BS on this so called "partnership" EA has with Nintendo. Though many people are tired of yearly releases of Madden, there is absolutely no reason for them to not bring it to Wii U; instead it's their way of saying they don't have faith in Nintendo's console.

I won't be surprised if Madden isn't the only game that EA decides to not bring to the Wii U while the other consoles continue to receive high profile games from them.

XxGame_LoverXx

XxGame_LoverXx said:

Another reason why 2k need to gain ownership from the NFL......smh Man EA Sports need to be shut down for good cus they loving up everythang!!!!

XxGame_LoverXx

XxGame_LoverXx said:

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Madden NFL Is Skipping Nintendo Systems For The First Time Since 1991"

Ooh, the relation between EA and Nintendo is soooo strong!! Lol!!

hms

hms said:

@MatthewWesley
1: right , Most likely, don't have a clue about this subject.
2: 1/2 wrong , snes had John Madden Football '91, ea didn't have nfl license yet tho, dunnow when aquired. nhl was nonlicensed @ start too.
3: 99.2% sure thats wrong, just opposite.

OGGamer

OGGamer said:

@WiiURockz Just hearing the title madden NFL 25 makes me chuckle . It's time to retire that crappy cut and pasted game already . The only time it changes is when the technology changes to run the game on . EA is a rundown tired old ho... nevermind

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

This is a business decision that is going to hurt EA or Nintendo.

It seems the "guns" of EA have their sights on Nintendo, aside from losing to Call of Duty and NBA games EA rarely loses these battles.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

Yawn. Absolutely no loss here. The world does not need another crappy sports title from EA.

banacheck

banacheck said:

GloryQuestor

If you where an investor no one would listen anyway, the fact you would advise a company to rebuild there brand on the Wii U and then go on to say, "even if the Wii U were to fail" is a joke in it's self. And everyone knows the PS4 & Nextbox are setting themselves up for long term failure, i think your mixing up your crystal crack for a crystal ball to see the future. The fact every known 3rd party dev's are working on PS4 games, and not even a hand full on the Wii U that speaks volumes in it's self. If anything the Wii U is a risky console to invest-in a the moment just taking a look at retailers will tell you that, the PS4 has more prospects and the console is not even out yet.

Midnight3DS

Midnight3DS said:

I think it hurts Nintendo as well, because a not having a predictable giant 3rd party title like this makes the console look third rate... again.

jayblue

jayblue said:

ea will pull out supporting soon look at fifa 13,i bought it and its fifa 12 game engine.

GamerJunkie

GamerJunkie said:

Wow there are almost no good games coming to the Wii U...... 1st party there should be some, but come on...... No sports games, no RPGs, i think FPS will be gone now too with no call of duty..... Nintendo WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Madden didn't start on SNES till John Madden Football '93, it missed a few titles after Madden64 which effectively was Madden '99 only
to restart on GameCube as Madden 2001 (in PAL territories)
The long and short of it is though, is that EA are actually appalling. If they're struggling an 'their' games are poor, the licences should be freed up. I would much rather play NHL2K and NFL2K than an EA series. Which only leaves Battlefield that I'm bothered about which is made by DICE, not EA. in house EA is garbage and they're just a dying, rancid fat goose greedily sitting on hundreds of licences and letting them fester under its swollen sagging stomach.
EA used to be like Schwarzenegger but now more resembles the dead guy from the openin scene to Seven

SpaceApe

SpaceApe said:

Don't blame EA because nobody is buying these games for the WII U. EA is in the business of making money hence why Ubisoft took Rayman away as an exclusive, they want to make money too. Nintendo has done nothing to convince publishers that people will be buying a Wii U anytime soon.