Level-5 Has No Plans To Bring Any Titles To New Systems Just Yet

Posted by Andy Green

Currently observing "how technology advances"

Level-5, the Japanese developer behind titles such as Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Inazuma Eleven, the Guild01 and 02 collections and a whole heap more, is celebrating its 15th anniversary later this year.

The time has certainly flown by and in an interview with Famitsu - helpfully translated by Polygon - Level-5 President and CEO Akihiro Hino said it still feels like the company was established only a few years ago.

Level-5 has been around through several generations of gaming and has developed games for the 3DS, Wii, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PSP and many others. Naturally, with the next generation upon us developers are looking on at the hardware they'll be working on and Level-5 is no different.

I've thought about it a fair amount, but for now, I don't see anything concrete that we have to do on the new systems. Ultimately, it's the gamers who pursue what they want to play next. I'm sure that, within a year from now, what gamers want from the new systems will start to match up with what drives us to create, and we have preparations at hand to move once that happens.

However, Hiro did say that he wants to make games for the new consoles once the time is right:

Things like pretty graphics and social features are going to be standard-issue. Beyond that, the key lies in what new thing you can do with these new systems. I'm looking forward to seeing how technology advances - maybe you'll see game characters that have real memories and can play out a full, realistic simulation of their lives. I think that having the ability to make new things happens is what motivates creators to build new things.

One of Level-5's latest games is Fantasy Life and Hiro is particularly proud of it. In the interview he said it was a title the team laboured on for a long time and he would like to see the 3DS life sim grow into a series that can sell a million copies in Japan.

There has been no official announcement yet on Fantasy Life coming to the West, though Level-5 do at least appear to be considering it as it has trademarked the name in both Europe and the US.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you like to see Level-5 develop some games for Wii U? Let us know by dropping a comment below.

[via polygon.com]

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'd love to see a Level 5 RPG on the Wii U. Something like Ni No Kuni, but a new, exclusive IP.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

It'd be nice to get some more of Level-5's recent work for current systems.

Specifically, Time Travelers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney and, yes, Fantasy Life.

mjhopkins81

mjhopkins81 said:

Maybe we could get a real Dragon Quest game on the Wii U (as opposed to some nonsense MMORPG).

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Level-5 is one of Japan's best game developers, so yeah, I want them working on WiiU.

But first give us Fantasy Life!

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I love Level 5's work. Think it'd be a mistake of theirs not to consider Ni No Kuni for 3DS since the 3DS is mega strong ATM. Maybe for 2014 to avoid 2013's competitive and stellar line-up!

AzureShadow

AzureShadow said:

Would love to see a return to Dark Cloud, Something akin to Rogue Galaxy and of course a new IP!

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

I really hope Nintendo makes a better effort at going for the JRPG market this gen. Last gen got stale due to a lack of creativity but the gamepad would actually allow them and devs to separate themselves from others with these games.

It would be an uphill battle but I see no reason why they couldn't build upon what we saw with Operation Rainfall. If the games are legit then ppl will buy them.

banacheck

banacheck said:

Level-5 Has No Plans To Bring Any Titles To New Systems Just Yet.

I find this an odd statement as Level-5 are working on a PS4 game,

"Ni No Kuni Developer Creating PlayStation 4 Game"
CEO and President Akihiro Hino stating, “It’s still in the planning stages, but we are also working on a PlayStation 4 title. We might be able to announce it soon.”

Maybe E3.

ichigo62

ichigo62 said:

Fantasy Life please ...... please ...... trust me it will be profit to bring it out, here in South East Asia, there are many major forums are talking about it, some of them even hit 190s pages about Fantasy Life !!!

My 3 super hardcore-sony-fanboy friends EVEN told me WILL buy 3DS if Fantasy life comes out at least for NA. And trust me when i say super-hardcore, they gather for LAN Party almost everyday for 6 hours with their VITA toy.

FANTASY LIFE

rjejr

rjejr said:

As the company that replaced Squaresoft as my JRPG go to, as always I look forward to whatever new big JRPG they create next.

I just hope they make one as they seem really busy with the smaller stuff these days.

KongFu

KongFu said:

@Haxonberik

It was postponed in Japan. But Marvelous AQL did register a trademark in the west. So eventually we will see it someday.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I love all of Level-5's games that I've played so I really hope they work with the Wii U at some point.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

See this is the right way to approach next gen consoles, continue to release top quality games and follow the markets when they arise instead of alienating part of a potential audience in advance.

SuperNova24

SuperNova24 said:

They should bring back a Dark Cloud game and make it for the WiiU because that game could use the gamepad for many things!