Fresh Pokémon X And Y Details Emerge: New Pokémon, Cover Art, Gameplay Trailer Revealed

Posted by Damien McFerran

Forthcoming 3DS adventure takes place in the Kalos Region

Not excited enough about Pokémon X And Y yet? Well perhaps these fresh details regarding the upcoming 3DS title will get your juices flowing. The Pokémon Company International has delivered a large helping of fresh content, including information on the game's setting, new Pokémon and even the cover artwork.

When Pokémon fans begin their thrilling 3D adventure in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y this October, they will be transported into an entirely new region called Kalos. A mysterious place that is shaped like a star, Kalos is a region where players will encounter beautiful forests, thriving cities, and many never-before-seen Pokémon. The central city of this breathtaking region is Lumiose City, a metropolis featuring a tower that is set to become an iconic structure in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.

While exploring the Kalos region, Trainers will encounter many new Pokémon that they can battle, catch, and add to their Pokédex. A Trainer is only as good as the Pokémon he or she befriends. Seven new Pokémon debuting in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y were introduced earlier this year—and today, four additional Pokémon are being revealed for the first time. These Pokémon add to the more than 640 Pokémon that have been encountered in previous games.

• The cowardly Pokémon Helioptile, a Normal- and Electric-type Pokémon, can generate enough electricity through sunbathing to power machinery. But wise Trainers won’t be deterred by Helioptile’s lack of bravery. It knows Parabolic Charge, a brand-new move where Helioptile attacks everything around it. Helioptile's HP is restored by half the damage taken by those hit.
  • Fletchling, a Normal- and Flying-type Pokémon, sings with a beautiful chirp that is sure to delight any Trainer. Although it is known to be very friendly, Fletchling will suddenly unleash relentless attacks once it’s in battle. For example, when it uses its Fire-type move Flame Charge in battle, in addition to doing damage, Fletchling’s Speed increases every time.
  • With a leaf always in its mouth and an intimidating glare that is rarely effective, Fighting-type Pokémon Pancham shows its playful side when it lets out a little smile when its head is pat. Pancham can learn a brand-new move, Parting Shot, which not only lowers an opponent’s Attack and Special Attack, but also allows Pancham to switch out for another Pokémon in a Trainer’s party during battle.
  • Pokémon X and Pokémon Y introduce a new method of transportation—riding the brand-new Pokémon, Gogoat. This large Grass-type Pokémon is a reliable way to travel certain parts of Lumiose City. In battle, it can use Horn Leech to recover HP equal to half the damage dealt by this move.

These brand-new Pokémon and others caught in the Kalos region will be added to a player’s Pokédex that, for the first time, will be divided into three unique areas within the region. There is much to explore in the Kalos region, and many Pokémon to encounter when Pokémon X and Pokémon Y debut worldwide this October. Stay tuned for more details in the coming months!

Finally, you can see the box art and new gameplay trailer below - excited enough now?

xerox

xerox said:

oh man look at those graphics and gameplay we 90 era of players dreamed much about this to happend and finaly in 2013 on a portable system the main series in fully glory 3d october you have to speed up

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

ok WOW! Looking better now on the graphics thats for sure like how they show the new km in the vid too! now to preorder

disco3000

disco3000 said:

Finally, a killer app for the 3DS. These games will be a permanent addition to my gaming activities.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

DO WANT! This is shaping up to be an absolutely stunning game. That top piece of art really sets the atmosphere for the Kalos region. Beautiful! Also, somebody get me a Fletchling, pronto.

rjejr

rjejr said:

That'll never sell ;-)

I like how the word Pokemon on the cover art not only has a 3D pop out effect but the shadow color matches each box, subtle but nice.

Question - is that music originally made for Pokemon or is it some rebranded classical music? I've heard it so much in my life now I feel like it must be something more than just videogame theme music. But maybe not.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

@MadAdam81
In what sense? The illustration there is making a pretty clear point of riding on Gogoat through the city.
Edit: Come to think of it I was forgetting of the use of Surf, though that usually puts you on the back of a generic blob in later games, a lapras in Gold/Silver/Crystal and a Seel on Red/Blue.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

@warnerdan Red/Blue the best? No. They're barebones compared to almost every other set of Pokemon games, and especially the more recent ones. People (including myself) tend to love those games because they were a part of our childhood, and we're nostalgic about them. Just hearing the music evokes warm feelings in me. Would someone without that prior experience enjoy them nearly as much?

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

@warnerdan Yellow is the best, of course! ;)

This generation's game is looking absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to play Y, because the game I think is the best ^^ is the last Pokemon game I played. It's been a long, long time. I was very impressed with that trailer.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Is it just me, or does Kalos and Lumiose remind me of France and Paris?

This only makes me want to get this as my first Pokemon game in many years.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

@Buzzthebatgirl Probably not very much. CoroCoro was officially released today and the Nintendo site has always been updating on the same day, since the games are being released internationally simultaneously this time.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@RupeeClock Ah, I missed that. I have a very good excuse - I am terrible at looking for things.
It would be great if "fly" could be expanded to that as well.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

I can customize my character's look?! I hope there'll be a dress-up game for the Pokemon, too. I'm going to take a Sylveon to a boutique and terrorize it with many cute dresses if that is the case <3

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

@Hysterical
That means they're taking advantage of the 3D rendering capabilities, that's cool.
Who knows, maybe there will be some Spotpass goodies or DLC addons?

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

I love that you get to choose the skin among several different appearances for your person

Rensch

Rensch said:

While not the most visually impressive game ever made, it appears to me that it looks a little cleaner than in the first trailer last January.

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

You may want to add that the Pokemon Website confirms that you will also be able to change your outfits.
Edit: The game looks a lot more crisp visually now.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

This game looks pretty darn good graphically if you ask me. It certainly looks much better than I previously thought it would be so I am eagerly awaiting this new generation of Pokemon!

Phle

Phle said:

I love the box art! Can't wait for this game (^_^) I will of course get X, Xerneas looks amazing <3

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

Still undecided whether to get Pokémon X or Y, but I'm leaning more towards Y at the moment.

Bah, who cares?! The game looks awesome either way. :D

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

The one and only Pokemon game I have played is HeartGold, that being said, I am very much looking forward to X & Y, as they seem to be the next evolution in the franchise.

Buduski

Buduski said:

Just saw that trailer and the theme music made me nostalgia in my pants :')
Definitely getting this game!

breener122

breener122 said:

haven't been this excited for a game since heartgold.. is gogoat the only pokemon we can ride? it be so cool if we could trade like tauros or rapidish and ride them! but i doubt it

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This game is gradually looking better, which shouldn't be much of a concern considering 3DS games rarely look that good when first revealed. I'm still thinking about getting X; Xerneas looks very cool. The box art reinforces that.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I really love Pokemon, and I'm buying X/Y regardless (so I guess I'm part of the problem?), but I hope Nintendo and Gamefreak does something about IVs and the game's terrible balance (which I don't expect them to).

Side note, I want Gardevoir to have Quiver Dance. Won't make it competitive, but would make it less terrible.

Also, it looks like you actually can look around, at least to an extent, unlike Mystery Dungeon 3DS which has everything in fixed view.

Xilef

Xilef said:

I don't think i can handle the hype.

@warnerdan They are not, at least in my opinion. I'm playing Blue for the first time now and even though it's fun it's very weak compared to never games. To be honest i think alot of people saying Red/Blue are the best just have a very nostalgic link to them and might not even have played the never ones.

Williaint

Williaint said:

@Xilef
That, and because you can do the Missingno Cheat in blue :P
Even so, you could say anything is very weak... I heard Kids saying Goldeneye 64 was a very weak game, because "It didn't have online".

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

Oh I see, helioptile is a frilled lizard... Omg if he evolves in to dilophosaurus he would so be on my want list.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@Xilef You shouldn't add "at least in my opinion" to your argument on what you genuinely think. Unless he's stupid, he'll understand what you mean. You don't need to clarify anything.

Blaze

Blaze said:

Looks meh. Trailer didn't show much and new pokemon look lame, but I'll pick one or the other up regardless~

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

Yellow isn't the best Pokemon game since the Pokemon games at the very least, slightly improve over the last generation. If you mean best, as in your favorite, or best for me, I suggest not using bold words like "best" as implication for your favorite.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

"Looks meh. Trailer didn't show much and new pokemon look lame"

If this was said about almost any other franchise, it'd be a no-buy XD

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Oh will you people just stop it already? We all know Gold/Silver is really the best.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@RupeeClock The later games used a Wailmer for Surfing. Though since the bottom half of its body is in the water it ends up looking like a generic blob.

Hm...a France theme this time around. Looks like they have an Eiffel Tower equivalent in the background (wonder if it'll be used for anything interesting).

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

A pokemon game with plants and trees in the cover? I know what version I'm getting now.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

I grew up with Diamond/ Pearl. I was finishing grade 6 when it just came out...

I have very fond memories of Pokemon Pearl, just watching my bro play it, he introduced me to the series. It was his game. sometimes he'd quit, and let me make a file. Then he'd regret it and say he wanted the game back. It became a little pattern. We kinda fought about it. It was pretty funny, though. He loved Pokemon. He knew almost every Pokemon, and was an expert on moves Pokemon use, what they're effective to, etc. While I got Pokemon Black a few years later, the last Pokemon game he got was White.

That was the last one. Then my little bro changed. He became obnoxious many times, pretty disrespectful too. When I told him I wanted to get Black 2, he kinda laughed and said it was for little kids.

My bro used to be the only person in the family with whom I could share my Pokemon experiences with. Now I have nobody to share my experiences with. Now I just play Black 2 alone while he's just watching hockey.

The one Pokemon poster he had on his wall showing all the Pokemon for gen IV is now taken down...

How sad that change is sometimes bad...at least in my opinion...

Scarhino89

Scarhino89 said:

@Bluezealand Exactly. I'm one of rare French to that site. Others French owe learn the English language but I believe they refuse. What a idlers!

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@disco3000 And "Super Mario 3D Land," "Mario Kart 7," "Kid Icarus: Uprising," "New Super Mario Bros. 2," "Fire Emblem: Awakening," etc., don't count as "killer apps" because...?

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@DrVollKornBrot If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You may consider them boring, but for most players the brilliant core mechanics have never needed updating, and they'd turn off most of the existing fanbase if they ever tried it.

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

@warnerdan I think the Pokemon Red/Blue games are only the "best pokemon games ever" from a nostalgic point of view.

I think somebody new playing it today would be at least a bit disappointed. Particularly if they had one of the newer games (that they played first) to compare it to.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

This game is looking fantastic over all, I hope their is an option for more trainer customization, since I'm not feeling the hole glasses on the hat look on the male trainer.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

@rjejr
I'm not some ultimate Pokemon fan, but I'm pretty sure that's just the Pokemon main theme. If you play Super Smash Bros, it's in the background of the Pokemon themed levels as well.

Grayjedi13

Grayjedi13 said:

Hmm... I wonder if riding certain Pokemon is replacing the bike. That might be kinda cool.

gaby_gabito

gaby_gabito said:

@warnerdan Red was my first and Blue was my second. Both are brilliant games that complete each other. I wish I still had them along with my old Gameboy!

AVahne

AVahne said:

Eh....Pokemon games no longer get me excited. I'll still get Pokemon Y though, but I don't think I'll be putting so many hours into it. The days of 1000 hours put into Ruby are long past.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I haven't played Pokemon since Yellow. This is the first Pokemon that is heavily threatening me to re-join the world of Pokemon, and it has a very strong chance of happening.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

They walk funny :) anyways...
I'm so excited for this game. I can't wait till October. I already set my money aside :)

Squid

Squid said:

This looks fantastic! Very happy that the graphics seem to be sharper and you can tell that the movement won't be solely grid-based, in four directions only. And I LOVE that artwork! So stylized! So... CUTE! I must have it. :'(

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

Diagonal movement finally! This is going to be the best Pokemon experience yet. I hope they change the text font, it looks too standard.

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

I'm ultra excited ! I can't wait to see what the other locations look like! Also I find the female trainer purty, but i'm sticking with the guy though.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

As pretty as that trailer was, it'll pale in comparison to how lovely the game will look with maxed 3D, most likely.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

When taking my nostalgia glasses off in how I adore the original Pokemon Gold and Silver. I have to say Pokemon Black and White are the best Pokemon games at the moment, with great game play, and with a great story about team plasma liberating people from their Pokemon so they can take control of Unova, and the awesome battles between you and N. Pokemon Black & White was very epic.

My least favorite pokemon games have to be Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/pearl. The most boring of the series in my opinion.

Emaan

Emaan said:

So much Pokemon hype!

Generation VI looks so amazing with what they've shown so far. Good to see the overworld has been polished up and I love the new Pokemon designs, especially Pancham. Also, the box arts are stunning. :D

Can't wait to explore the Kalos region in October! :3

Arcamenel

Arcamenel said:

The trailer clearly says "game footage not final" yet people still groan and complain about the graphics, despite this trailer being a lot sharper and more crisp than the first one.

G3ry

G3ry said:

WOW!!! Better than I expected, mounting pokemon, 3D battles, Big enviorments!!!
I can see a little problem with the camera angles, they might be a little akward but I hope they make it work or add Circle Pad Pro support IDK!!!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

And with that, the 3DS will win the holiday, beating out PS4, Xbox Next and Wii U by a landslide.

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

3 things
1. the kalos riegon has a lot of rivers
2. that snowey mountain with one entrance and clouds above it looks very final areaish.
3. in that photo of the city, there is a freaking marill

Gioku

Gioku said:

I'm getting Pokémon Y, Yveltal is a frickin' baddonkey ! Of course, that may change if X ends up with better exclusive pokémon...

bassoongoon

bassoongoon said:

Looks like a blast. I don't have a 3DS though. I loved: Blue, Gold, Sapphire, and Diamond, however I did not like Black at all. I hope that this game turns out better than Black or White were.

As of now, I just have the Wii U. Does anyone recommend the 3DS? It certainly looks like it has tons of games. I have not been much into handheld gaming for a few years, but 3DS looks pretty fun. If I bought it, my wallet would probably hurt from all the games I would buy haha.

Gioku

Gioku said:

@bassoongoon The 3DS is a great investment if you think it's got games you'd play! It's built up quite the library! The new Pokémon games are more than good enough on their own!

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

@bassoongoon I highly recommend the Nintendo 3DS, the system is really starting to have a great library of awesome games!

I already have a backlog of 3DS games I need to play, from Code of Princess, Kingdom Hearts, Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem. I am currently finishing Luigi's Mansion 2 :)

Marks

Marks said:

Ooooooh Star!
I can't wait to ride that Gogoat around town. Go go rocket Gogoat!

bassoongoon

bassoongoon said:

@Gioku and @Meaty-cheeky , I already have quite the backlog of wii/wii U games haha. I guess I should invest in a 3DS after the new club nintendo year starts (I am platinum and want the points to go towards next year!).

The purple one looks sweet!

Joe1113

Joe1113 said:

IM CALLING IT!!!!! THERELL BE A SNAIL POKEMON BECAUSE OF THE "FRENCH" REGION!!! like escargot

oh, and theres no way im NOT getting both!!! :D

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

@warnerdan If X will be your first Pokémon game and then you go back to R/B/Y, you'll be sorely disappointed. They have huge nostalgia value, but they're horribly slow and cumbersome and lack MANY quality-of-life features that have since been added. Even the FireRed/LeafGreen versions would feel dated, but they would be a far better way to enjoy the Kanto journey because they're quite simply much more playable games.

MarvelMon22

MarvelMon22 said:

what if with streetpass and stuff you gain the ability to trade with people (while setting boundaries) ? for example, say I want a female fletchling. we can set some conditions, and when we streetpass someone with that pokemon available for trade, we'll get it!

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

all aboard the hype train?

wonder if the legend in the box is the one you get or will they do the samething they did with pkm black2

rjejr

rjejr said:

@FiveDigitLP - Thanks, the kids must have worn me down as for the better part of the past 3 years they have been watching Pokemon episodes on the PC in the kitchen while I cook dinner and watching the movies in the car DVD on all our long trips.

Oh wait, my wife just told me ti's form Smash Bros. We have over 300 hours put into that so I've probably heard it a few times there as well.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@DarkNinja9 Except the mascot on the box art for both Black 2 and White 2 was the one available for their respective game. What you saw was what you got. X is definitely getting Xerneas while Y is getting Yveltal.

Now will they pull a GS and allow the other to be caught later? Doubt it but you never know...

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Wait a minute...Parabolic Charge has 16 alphanumeric characters in its name?! But Moves are only supposed to have up to 12 characters in their names! :o

Wow, that map is gorgeous. I'm so looking forward to journeying around Fra- uh...I mean Kalos. ^_^

AVahne

AVahne said:

Looking at the website...it seems like there ISN'T character customization. To me, it looks a lot more like now we'll have to choose gender and then choose from 3 preset appearances as well. No true customization like in MH3U, FE:A, HM:ANB, or PSO2.
Pretty disappointing, it seems it'll be a long time before we can journey through the world of Pokemon with the character we want. I'll be waiting for Generation 7.

TheSonicdude97

TheSonicdude97 said:

(Oh boy..) First of all, the Pokemon are now looking more bland than they are random. Two, while I appreciate the idea of full 3D exploration, it feels a little off. Third, Black/2 and White/2 pale in comparison and are nowhere as good as the Game Boy Color/GB Advance titles in my opinion, and that's not freakin' nostalgia, that's just speaking the very fun they are and always will be. Lastly, I will say again, I have no interest in getting the Black or White series or X/Y. The last game I got was Platinum and maybe one day I'll buy HeartGold, being that Gold was my first Pokemon game ever. Other than that, nope. Generations 5 and 6 are dead to me. I do and always will enjoy the older Pokemon and stay with the games I have. The way I see it, and most likely not the only person, the very 1st and 2nd generations of Pokemon are the wonderfullest, and no newer generation will ever be as great.~

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

My favorite pokemon game is red/blue, second is Ruby/Sapphire, third is Black/White. That's... probably because they're the order I played them in ;P I haven't nearly played enough of Gold/Silver or Diamond/Pearl to have proper judgement, but what I have played of them I didn't really like much.

Neferupitou

Neferupitou said:

Oh yes, i love the XD gale of darkness one, spend something around 500 hours on it.Getting the gifts from beating MT.Battle in a row as very fun!

Onett

Onett said:

@DrVollKornBrot It looks boring because at its core it's still the same turn based RPG. I'll admit that I'm a bit disappointed with the shallow character customization (compare to Battle Revolution 2007.) I'll probably end up buying this game regardless.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@Funny_Moblin I'm not sure they'll be able to release them digitally. Up to this point the save files have always been tied to the cartridge due to the ways the connectivity features work. For example, trading between my White and Black 2 versions requires me to put each game in a (3)DS and connect through IR. It would be a lot more complicated to work these kinds of features through system-tied save data, although they may be able to simulate it for digital releases by tying the save data to a digital copy as if it were a cartridge that's restricted to a single 3DS.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@Koto The 3 presets are basically the hair, skin, and eyes. You'll be able to unlock clothes and accessories so customization isn't going to be basic basic apparently.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Chriiis
Hmmm, I'd be fine if it was something like. 3 choices for hair color, 3 for eye color, and 3 for skin color isn't horrible. But the website doesn't give me the impression that that's the case. It looks much more like they just give you 3 preset appearances per gender and that's it. No customization and mixing and matching at all. That's the impression I'm getting and I am really hoping that I'm wrong.

Musharna

Musharna said:

@BulbasaurusRex you don't need a 3DS to do IR for B2/W2... Remember when B1 and W1 came out for the DS? They talked about the usage of IR and the 3DS wasn't out when they came out, plus the cartridges are different for all 6 pokemon games that have some sort of IR usage in them. (HG/SS/B/W/B2/W2)

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@Musharna I didn't say it did require a 3DS. I said "(3)DS," meaning DS or 3DS. Where I mentioned just the 3DS was in relation to X & Y, which will indeed be 3DS games.

orko

orko said:

blue was my first pokemon game but i had no frinds to trade weth .pokemon was so populer in the 90s. i did manige to beet the elit for thow

orko

orko said:

the people do not disaper in thise 3ds game like they do in lego city 3ds. im glad i only paed 30 bucks for that lego game. they tryd to tell us that the 3ds was not powerfull enuff for lego city but if you look at pokemon x and y youl see people every wear that do not disaper. forgiveme for my speling.