Flipnote Hatena Data to be Automatically Switched to Flipnote Studio 3D World Gallery

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Unless you opt out

As announced earlier in this year, Flipnote Studio 3D is coming to the 3DS eShop as a free app this Summer, finally taking the place of the DSiWare title that's been non-transferable to the new hardware.

As explained with that announcement, the new and free app will split the online sharing component of your creations into two parts — you can share with friends for free with Flipnote Gallery Friends, or pay a "small monthly fee" for worldwide sharing in Flipnote Gallery World; the latter option will have a free 30-day trial. There'll be community ratings and interaction, with highly rated artists even being in line for special rewards such as a free subscription to the World service.

Another feature, for which Nintendo has today tweeted a reminder, is that owners of the DSiWare software will have all of their content transferred over to a special DSiWare library area in Flipnote Gallery: World, which we assume means that you'll only be able to access your older creations if you subscribe. Nintendo's going for an opt-out system, so unless you object before 31st May — which is when the DSiWare Hatena community shuts down — all of the data for your flipnotes will be transferred to the as-yet-undated new app. If you do want to opt-out of the transfer or just review your settings, you have just over a week to login to the official Hatena transfer website.

The new version doesn't yet have a confirmed release date, but we imagine it won't be too far behind the closure of the DSiWare community. Let us know how you feel about the transfer to the subscription-based service in the comments below.

[via nintendo.co.uk]

Related Games

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

I didn't have Flipnote and never saw the Hatena gallery so I'm probably not going to pay a subscription for the new gallery.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I'll see what the monthly fee is first then consider playing. :)

Want to know what Nintendo's idea of a ''SMALL'' monthly fee actually is first. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

I think I'll go with a new profile on there, if I join at all. I can see some cool applications of the 3D, but not sure if it's enough to be worth my time.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

Miss this app so much. Cant wait for the 3dswii vers. I once used flipnote to animate the lifecycle of ecoli for a microbiology project. It got me an A!

ramstrong

ramstrong said:

I don't even remember my password, if I have any. So I'll just create a new account. I also wrote a simple Flipnote app (named Quickie Draw) using PetitComputer. It's on the DSiWare PTC QR Sharing thread in the forum: Petit Computer QR Code Sharing Thread

miiandmario

miiandmario said:

I been using Flipnote Hantena since 2009 and if they charge to use something that I've used for used years that pretty ridiculous.

KAHN

KAHN said:

i just hope they drop that subscription plan. i'm no good at art, but it's fun sharing it with everybody. but i'm not going to pay a monthly fee so people can laugh at me.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

I was pretty popular on the DSi with at least 1100+ fans. I hope I can do it again in that 30 day free trial for a free subscription :p

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Paying a fee to share our own creation with the ppl? Heck no i don't need that. I stick with the original Flipnote instead.