First Generation Pokémon Visualised By 151 Artists For Charity

Posted by Orla Madden

Welcome to the Rare Candy Pokémon Gallery

It's amazing how people can interpret their own version of what lies in front of them. One particular music song can inspire a variety of covers, each musician adding their own characteristic and making it their own. Artists visualise a certain object, theme or feeling and try to explain what's on their mind by using some form of medium, whether it be a painting, drawing or a sculpture; the result is something similar to what you'll see as you carry on reading.

An idea of a fun art gallery dedicated to the original generation of Pokémon, Peter Le and Amy Kim gathered 151 artists, each randomly assigned with one Pokémon to freely design as they wished. The ensemble later formed what's now known as the Rare Candy Pokémon Art Auction for Charity.

What's good about all this, is that each of the pictures are being auctioned off for charity, with all of the profit raised from the artwork being donated to Canines for Disabled Kids. At the time of writing, Gyarados seems to be the most popular of the bunch, with bidding as far as $250.

The full gallery can be found right here, where you'll find each artist's version of their given task.

Bidding for these fantastic pieces of artwork ends in 7 days, so time to throw those Master Balls should you want one.

[via kotaku.com, doodlebender.com]

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Some look great, others......seem like they didn't know what to do with that pokemon.
Poor Marowak.

MasterWario

MasterWario said:

Seems really cool! Unfortunately 7" by 7" is kinda small...I dunno, I guess if I'd spend $20+ on a painting I would like it to be bigger.

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

The kakuna one is PURE GENIUS, it's so cleverly done, the venonat one is just so beautiful and both vulpix and ninetales are so artistic that I seem to find peace when I see them. The bulbasaur one is just to me, no offense, but it's just so poorly done and ugly.

Mewtwo21

Mewtwo21 said:

i really liked the Rapidash one but the Gyarados one seems to be everyone's favorite

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

@WesCash Wow, those are awesome too!, kakuna, vulpix, ninetales and venonat again rock artistically speaking, paras 8-bit painting is awesome too, there also very disturbing ones like gengar, grimer and koffing, farfetch'd is so hilarious, hitmonlee and hitmonchan share the same story and it's pretty funny actually and the last one that truly impressed me is ditto, surreal, just surreal.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@WesCash Woh, thanks for that, these are awesome too, but more awesome 'cause I can view them on my phone! Lovin' tangela, from the link.

Klinny

Klinny said:

I think Nidorino is my favorite XD And then maybe Oddish, since it looks so sweet and peaceful.

Gregor

Gregor said:

THE PUNNNZZZZ!!! THEY NEVER ENNNDDD.... Seriously between Nintendo Life's quirky writers and Animal Crossing New Leaf I'm going to have to baptize my eyes by the end of this year.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

What, no Garbodor? :P

"Weepinbell" looks more like the Bellsprout family version of Bellossom to me. Also, nice to see that Missingno. got a reference. :)

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

What the hell did they do to my favorite Pokémon Bulbasaur? Especially when the Venusaur is so awesome. There are a few awesome ones in there like the Rapidash, Voltorb and Gyrados. But some are really bad. Since when is Magmar a duck? Seriously?

The Beedrill and Psyduck ones make me laugh btw.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Some are pretty cool, some are weird.

Sadly, the Dragonair is cooler than Dragonite, What is up with that?!

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

some of these are so nice others are weird like mewtwo o.O wonder how they would do the rest of the pkm

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

These are great looking, and the profits go to charity which is even better. I like the gyrados one the most.