Crazy Taxi Wannabe Coming to the Japanese eShop

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Oh, if only it would come West

While in many respects the West is better off than Japan on the eShop platforms — due to publishing rules in Nintendo's homeland — there are some releases exclusive to the region. One of these is the @Simple DL Series from D3 Publisher, which is a sequence of budget 3DS games that have followed on from an equivalent range on DSiWare.

The latest, snappily-titled @Simple DL Series Vol.13 The Taxi: I am a Charismatic Driver bears an uncanny resemblance to iconic SEGA title Crazy Taxi, in which you rush around a city and take citizens wherever they want to go. This release also has plenty of wacky upgrades for taxis, which can serve as boosts and affect the way the car handles, and some less important visual tweaks to look good while crashing through obstacles.

It arrives in Japan on 12th June for 600 Yen. We're not convinced this'll make it West (as the series never has to date) but that doesn't mean we can't dream.

[via siliconera.com]

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

This would be awesome, but Dreamcast games on the WiiU would be awesomer!

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

Didn't the Simpsons game get sued for being a Crazy Taxi wannabe? This game must not be about crazy taxi driving or something.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Here is a better thing to dream of: have Sega (with their new amazing Worldwide partnership with Nintendo) release the HD rerelease of Crazy Taxi they gave to PSN/XBLA. And release the rest of them while you are at it.

mikeyman64

mikeyman64 said:

Used to love playing Crazy Taxi on the GameCube. I wouldn't mind a re-release of the game.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

It's nice to see some arcade style games coming to the eShop. this, road redemption and 90's arcade racer would all sit nicely on my wiiu

Windy

Windy said:

Can this game come to the West? Would love to see a new Crazy Taxi type of game. I dont really care if its a wannabe. if it's good that = Good fUN :)

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

@sinalefa If that happened a lot of $$ would leave my account instantly. DC is my favorite system ever, and I own almost every game for it. At least the US released ones. I would love to not leave the the room to play my DC games. Oh I wish a Skies of Arcadia 2 would come out.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

I can't say I am too big of a fan of Crazy Taxi, though I did rent a Crazy Taxi game for PS2. The gameplay, for me at least, got a bit repetitive very quickly and after I played it once I don't think I ever played it again.

ChristopherM

ChristopherM said:

"We're not convinced this'll make it West (as the series never has to date)..."

Actually Thomas, at least one of the Simple DS series has been released in the West. The Volume 4 cartridge was released here as "Break 'em All".

ChristopherM

ChristopherM said:

Just to clarify my previous post - the Simple DS series is the cartridge-based antecedent of the Simple DL series

Gameday

Gameday said:

This game was just too classic to past up hopefully this comes out over here too enjoyed it on dreamcast & gamecube.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

Someone somewhere mentioned that it looked like Choro Q, and I like the sound of that.