Club Nintendo Rewards Updated for May

Posted by Tim Latshaw

The fresh batch brings giant, talking, castle-impaling swords

It’s that time when Club Nintendo’s North American branch clears its shelf and refreshes its selection of downloadable rewards.

Mario’s first foray into the RPG realm is up for the taking on the Wii Shop — which can also be redeemed via the Wii Mode on Wii U — as is a critically well-received yet largely under-the-radar puzzle game. The 3DS eShop side of the rewards offers a unique installment in the Art Style series and yet another chance to pick up the 3D remake of Excitebike.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars — 200 coins
Maboshi’s Arcade — 150 coins
Art Style: AQUIA — 100 coins
3D Classics: Excitebike — 150 coins

You have until 2nd June to lighten your virtual wallet for any of the above titles. Let us know which, if any, catch your eye in the comments and poll below.

Which Club Nintendo Reward will you pick up first? (237 votes)

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

47%

Maboshi’s Arcade

Art Style: AQUIA

3D Classics: Excitebike

Nothing for me this time

41%

Please login to vote in this poll.

[via club.nintendo.com]

Related Games

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Mario RPG is a pretty good reward. Anybody who doesn't already have that one should get it.

cbkummer

cbkummer said:

Nothing I want to drop coins on this month. Super Mario RPG is tempting, but I'll spend the 8 bucks instead of 200 coins.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

Unfortunately I already own both Excitebike 3D and Super Mario RPG so I won't be getting any of these.

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

Darn, nothing for me again. Here's hoping we at least start getting GBA games as possible purchases in Club Nintendo for the 3DS, but I highly doubt that.

Ratholos

Ratholos said:

i wanted them to have Dillon's Rolling Western 1... it couldve been real cool D:

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

Mario's kind of pricey. The others, of course, are all repeats. I think it's about time we got some new Club Nintendo rewards--come on and share, Japan!

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I envy you americans. You get good games and we get crap as rewards in Europe. Well, there's nothing we can do about it.

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

Pokedex 3D Pro should've been a free downloadable Club Nintendo reward for platinum members of 2013, or at least purchasable for 400 coins.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I'll get Mario RPG but wont be able to play it til it hits wii u and i can transfer it for $1.50. I had a classic controller, but my cat ate the cord on it, so i cant play it since GCN controllers dont work on Wii U.

APHughes

APHughes said:

Mario RPG is a great game but 200 points is ALOT to spend on it. Spend the $8 instead and save the 200 points for something more tangible.

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

I already have Mario RPG so I got Excitebike on my 3DS, was thinking of getting it on Wii U but can't beat getting the 3DS version for free.

RR529

RR529 said:

I already have both Super Mario RPG & 3D Classics: Excitebike, and the other two don't interest me.

I don't have any coins anyways, so I'm not bummed.

SMRPG is a great title though. If you don't yet have it, now's the perfect time to pounce.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Maboshi is a very good game, with replays, DS transfer, multiplayer and unlockables.

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

i allready have excite bike (save your points people) and i just got tetris so aquia i'll pass on, i would get mario rpg but no wii so i'll pass.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars seems like the only game worth getting out there for anyone who may not own the title from the Wii Shop Channel. It's a great game worth checking out if you haven't played it yet imo.

Squid

Squid said:

Agh, I want SMRPG but I probably don't have enough Coins for it...

Andremario

Andremario said:

I always loved me some excite bike though I don't think $5.99 is not worth the game purchase but 150 coins sure is! I'm so ON IT!!! Ye-Ah!

Ryno

Ryno said:

Good thing they put up Super Mario RPG again. I'm sure there are some people who missed out on it in March.

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

That's insane not having Super Mario RPG for the WiiU. The classic controller is about the dumbest thing I ever used. I hate having to connect that thing to the wiimote dig it up out of million other gadgets Nintendo had me buy.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Hmmm well if I can get 70 more coins by June 2nd I will pick up Super Mario RPG.

Hyperion

Hyperion said:

Whilst we don't get these rewards and the Club Nintendo stuff in Europe is a load of tat, I'm fairly happy with my equivalent reward of 3 games worth of 'Club Nintendo' points for a full retail download

catsrnice

catsrnice said:

Maboshis arcade was on one of the first videos I saw on the Nintendo Channel. They've taken the video off since then,
I got SMRPG but then realized that I can't use my gamecube controller on my WiiU and I gave away my classic controller to a friend.
Oh well, i'll keep it for later.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

I lost my copy of AQUIA when I upgraded from a DSi to a 3DS originally, and even though I think it's an overrated game and the weakest entry in the Art Style series, it's not bad, just not my favorite, so I'll be downloading this again as a Club reward. (If they would refresh the regular rewards that would be nice, too.)

Sausimo

Sausimo said:

@Ryno In March they offered Paper Mario from the N64, now this is Mario RPG from the SNES, different games. Though Paper Mario was the pseudo sequel of the SNES title, so I can see the confusion.

Definitely getting SMRPG, debating on Maboshi's Arcade (I passed on it last time it was offered).

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

@nomeacuerdo What are you talking about? None of the games listed here are available on the Wii U eShop.

Anyway, I've gotten all of those already except for Maboshi’s Arcade. However, if you never got Super Mario RPG before, then I highly recommend it!

gohanrage

gohanrage said:

Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven stars is one of my favorite games for the SNES. I still have my cartridge and box in perfect condition. Its probably my favorite Square RPG. I wish Square would make another Mario RPG

I haven't enjoyed the Paper Mario Games

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

I agree with a lot of the comments on here. While Mario RPG is a masterpiece (and the first RPG I ever beat), 200 Coins for an $8 game is way too high. Though, with the amount of content and enjoyment you'll get out of it (compared to other Club Rewards offered in the past), it could be justified.

I'm out of coins anyway. I got Super Mario 64 just a few days ago.

TimLatshawAdmin

TimLatshaw said:

@Optimist_Prime You're quite right, although I swear it said 150 coins earlier. And now Excitebike is showing up as 100 coins on the Club Nintendo front page but 150 on its individual rewards page. Hm.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Anybody want to help an old guy out:

First Paper Mario game I played was 1000 yr. Door which was really good. Then I struggled thru some of Super? Paper Mario on the Wii and it seemed wrong. Then I played some of Sticker Star and it was OK. Just finished N64 Paper Mario and it was best of the bunch - though I missed doing paper stuff like airplanes and rolling up.

So, hows this one?

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

@rjejr If anything Super Mario RPG is more similar to the Mario and Luigi series of games, those aren't like the Paper games, but there are some similarites between the two.

Hetsumani

Hetsumani said:

"Nothing for me this time" again. Sheesh, I already own SMRPG, as for the other three, are you kidding me?

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Decided to download Maboshi's Arcade. It's actually pretty cool, but definitely intended for multiplayer.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@bizcuthammer cheap 2nd hand classic controllers could be the way to go - my local EB games had one for $12, you should be able to go cheaper than that if you look closely.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@rjejr: Super Mario RPG(subtitled "Legend of the Seven Stars" outside Japan) is a joint game from 1996 between Nintendo, & then Squaresoft. (The N64) Paper Mario is kind of considered the pseudo-sequel to SMRPG, as @Sausimo: said. As a matter of fact, at one point (of development), (the N64) Paper Mario was literally going by the title "Super Mario RPG 2". Unlike @Dpishere:, I really can't give you any similarities between Super Mario RPG, & the Mario&Luigi series, as I've never owned those games. I can tell you the game is pretty good, but not everyone may think so. One of the highlights of the game is that, at the time, it used a special on-cartridge chip to produce some pretty good graphics, for the Super Nes. Edit: Oh, also, I also started out on the PM series w/ Thousand-Year Door, like you.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

yeah i dont get how they even pick these games some feel like they should be on the 3ds and others on the wii/wii u o.O

but for me nothing maybe bike game or the art game not sure =|

TimLatshawAdmin

TimLatshaw said:

All parts of the Club Nintendo page now seem to agree that Excitebike is 150 coins. Hopefully we're all set with the prices now.

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

When Art Style talks, I listen! Downloaded Aquia this afternoon and I'm really enjoying it. It's great puzzle gameplay and surprisingly deep (with the different shapes you can play as, it's like three different puzzle games really) with a really fantastic soundscape! I'd say if you like Tetris Attack/Puzzle League and/or Electroplankton you'll have a good time with this one.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

The only game I'd be interested in is Art Style: Aquia. I loved it when I had it on my DSi. It sucks that I lost $100 worth of downloaded games when I upgraded to an XL model. I'm not sure if it's worth spending my hard earned coins on a $5 download though. You can't exactly buy any of the Club Nintendo items with cash.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

i already have all of these, and if you don't have maboshi's arcade, I really recommend it. it takes simple gameplay mechanics and creates three addicting games that will last you a while, plus you can link your wii and ds and play on the go!

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Art Style: AQUIA is a fantastic game. Please download it and then convince Nintendo / Skip that they need to make more Art Style games.

In other news....... I always wanted to download Maboshi’s Arcade, so I think that now I will!

Morph

Morph said:

Any chance of some decent rewards for europe, still want a gold nunchuck

Otto-Soq

Otto-Soq said:

Here in Holland there are not really nice rewards. I have nearly 6000 points. I wanted the big Mario hat, but it's gone. :(

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

Already bought and beat Super Mario RPG. It is an awesome game. I had to replay the first five hours or so of progress because my iguana was walking behind my TV and stepped on the multi power adapter on/off switch and turned the power off while it was saving and corrupted the save file. Luckily, I knew exactly what to do in the game so it only took about 2 and half hours to catch back up in the game.

blondeandy

blondeandy said:

The european rewards are pretty naff but even if this was available i wouldn't bite. Am part way through Super Mario RPG but have stalled as i want to be able to play off screen on the gamepad but know i won't be able to bring my saved game across once it's available on wii u vc, can't believe there is no way of transferring it across, seems silly to me...

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Capt_N - Thanks for the info. Watched the video this morning and I just can't do it. The leap from SNES to N64 is very impressive. And why is Princess Peach called Toadstool?

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Dpishere - Haven't played any of those - though Dream Team looks really good as the 3DS continues to get most the games I'ld rather play on the WiiU - but I think Square screwed up Mario.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@Phantom_R: Yeah, didn't they get soundtracks for Donkey Kong Country Returns and Kid Icarus Uprising at some point? Why don't we get that stuff?!?!

And another thing: NINTENDO, WHY ARE YOU SO FRIGGIN' BENT ON EXCITEBIKE? Why not make a new game for the Wii U instead of constantly pimping the NES version?

Mario500

Mario500 said:

@Fusion14
What are your feelings about Square (Square Soft was the name of a subsidiary of Square, by the way)?

@rjejr
The reason the princess was not called by her first name (Peach) in the English version of Super Mario RPG was because she was usually referenced by only her last name (Toadstool) and title (Princess) in games and other mediums produced for the North American market by the time of the game's original release in that market. I remember the game Yoshi's Safari being an exception to the rule, since it was released in North America years before Super Mario RPG.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

MaBoShi's Arcade is excellent! Especially if you have a friend/roommate/significant other to play with. Can't wait to see what kind of stylized/elegant puzzle games they come up with for Wii U.

Godstrike

Godstrike said:

I don't know why they keep trying to sell excitebike I would buy it but somehow I was able to get mine for the short amount of time it was free

Windy

Windy said:

Just spent the coins for Super Mario RPG. ****Ducks the tomatoes*** Yup this old gamer has never played Super Mario RPG

Gregor

Gregor said:

@Mario500 (SquareSoft was SquareEnix before the name change)
I really... Just don't like square. What with their release of subpar and unoriginal games, they just don't cut it for me. What Im trying to get at is that they lack innovation and inspiration. They still don't beat the atrocity that is Capcom though. Corporal basterds.

R-Moss

R-Moss said:

Aquia is the best game listed.
Super Mario RPG is overrated and a so-so game.