Capcom Announces Two More Wii U Virtual Console Titles In May

Posted by Andy Green

"We have more titles in the pipeline"

As we already know, Mega Man is now available to download on the North American Wii U Virtual Console and Capcom has now announced on its blog that a couple more classic titles will also be making an entrance onto the service in the coming weeks.

On 16th May Super Ghouls’n Ghosts will be available for download and on 30th May Ghosts’n Goblins will be released.

Super Ghouls’n Ghosts is a sidescrolling platformer for the SNES, which sees you play as knight Arthur in his quest to save the princess. Ghosts’n Goblins meanwhile was the predecessor on the NES and naturally also had you saving damsels in distress.

Capcom didn't stop there though and promised there would be more titles on the way:

This is just the beginning, too. We have more titles in the pipeline and will have an update on them as soon as there are more details.

It's nice to see the Wii U Virtual Console is getting some good solid third party support from the get-go. It will be interesting to see what else Capcom has in store for the new platform. Of course, this announcement is for North America but surely the games will be available in Europe soon as well.

Will you be downloading any of these two upcoming releases? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via capcom-unity.com]

Related Games

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

"Super Ghouls'n' Ghosts" is one of my favourite Capcom games ever! It was quite a feat when I finished it for real on the SNES. I also ended up buying the GBA re-edition. Truly stunning game and killer soundtrack too! http://youtu.be/B_EyR0J3oOI

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

I've never played Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, so I look forward to trying it when it comes out in Europe. Hopefully my classic SNES controller will have arrived by then.

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

I'd rather see the Virtual Arcade version of Ghosts'n Goblins. I prefer it to the NES version.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

@MeddlingIdiot

I hope you know that it's hard as nails, even on the easiest setting (normal) it's a fair challenge. I say this because I've got the Super Famicom cart from back in the day, and I can't honestly remember if I finished it or not.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

"Some good solid third party support..."

Okay, Capcom and...what? One Namco title out thus far. Pretty lame, considering. Lemme know when Squenix get their butts in gear and release all those classic Enix games they SKIPPED on Wii VC, mmkay?

Rafie

Rafie said:

I will get both. I remember how incredibly unforgiving Ghost N' Goblins was on NES as a kid. However, I beat Asteroth before my Nintendo messed the game up. You all (well ol school gamers) remember how we use to blow in the cartridge to get the game to work. LOL

Anyway, I never got to finish Ghouls N' Ghost, so I'm down for that!

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

Super Ghouls and Ghosts intrigues me. I don't think I've ever played it before, so I'll gladly buy it when it hits EU.

nik1470

nik1470 said:

Capcom support for the wiiu vc is most welcome I'm sure we will get street fighter 2 and more megaman at some point. I also like to see Aladdin make it to the vc.

manu0

manu0 said:

I have both of them on the Wii..will probably upgrade just for the convenience and 60 Hz.

Ras

Ras said:

Super Ghouls and Ghosts had a pirate ship? I never made it that far. :)

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Well, good, except I have the Megadrive version on Wii virtual console and, while save states will be useful on these I'll be waiting to pay the reduced update fee. Hope the Sega consoles appear before the end of the year.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

These seem good, but I am not too keen on punishing games, though I do enjoy a reasonable challenge.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

I have Super Ghouls N Ghosts on the GBA and to describe just how difficult the game is, think of it as if Battle of Olympus, Mega Man and Battletoads merged together into one game.

Knux

Knux said:

Serious lack of Sega support in Wii U VC is disappointing. I hope that changes soon.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

It sort of angers me to see that Wii U's Virtual Console library is building up faster than the 3DS's. I got mad when I saw the Wii U VC sizzle reel showing VC games that 3DS didn't get until a year or a year and a half after 3DS VC launched. When I saw Super Mario Bros. 2 in the sizzle reel, I got mad because the 3DS doesn't even have that game on the eShop yet. Only Japan does. :( Curse Nintendo for not bringing 3DS VC games to 3DS owners faster! Curse Nintendo! "Oh, but we'll run out of games." Nintendo, do you know how many games there are for NES, GB, and GBC? Also, where are my GBA games on 3DS VC? I'm getting really impatient here!

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Never had these. I'll buy the SNES one, but maybe not the NES one. Really depends, there's other stuff I want...

Chomposaur

Chomposaur said:

in other news, street fighter 2 the world warrior , turbo , the new challengers, super street fighter 2 turbo, super street fighter 2 the new challangers hyper turbo to be added to Super nintendo, sega genesis, and turbo grafix 16

...

Chomposaur

Chomposaur said:

@Stuffgamer1 Squaresoft - "we are not ready for the Wii VC" .

The guy who made dragon quest " i do not believe in straight up ports, i prefer to do remakes and make more money"

We will get the same squaresoft games we got on the wii vc ... no new games ...

Mickamott

Mickamott said:

I'm excited for all these new VC titles coming! I was too young (and ignorant) to want to play all of these classic titles when the Wii launched, but now Nintendo is giving me an opportunity to discover all of these games I had only ever heard of. I'm at the ripe age where I am young enough to be fascinated by what these games are doing, but old enough to respect and understand them.

Just imagine playing Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and Super Mario RPG within the same month for the first time ever. (Wait that happened 23 years ago) It is wonderful!!

Hordak

Hordak said:

I LOVE Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. In my opinion, this is one of the greatest SNES games. I'm just not sure why everyone touts it as one of the hardest games out there. I can still, to this day, beat it with very little controller smashing anger.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@JogurtTheYogurt: To be honest, I have no problem with well-done remakes...that is, when THEY get released. I would PREFER a new remake of Dragon Quest 1-3 instead of getting the NES or GBC versions on VC. But the problem is when you get NEITHER. Worse yet are classics like SoulBlazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, etc. that haven't seen the light of day since their original launch ANYWHERE. Even the Square side is missing stuff like Secret of Evermore...shameful! You'd think with the kind of financial trouble Squenix has been in lately, they'd want to get some money any way they could. This has GOT to be an easy source...

EDIT: While search for any info related to Squenix on VC I could find (no luck, really), I stumbled across the first quote you gave...it's from 2007, dude. Don't you think MAYBE it's a little out of date by now? I mean, that was before they even had Final Fantasy 1 and "2" on VC. Clearly they changed their minds to SOME extent.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I will download the arcade version in my Wii.

And where is Megaman 6, 7 and X3 in Wii??

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@DarkEdi: May as well give up on that right now...I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that the Wii VC is going to get any continued support for systems that are available on Wii U VC. There's a reason Wii's only been getting Neo Geo games this year...

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Super Ghouls n Ghosts must of been one the the toughest games on Snes...
Looking foward to the cursin n swearing already lol.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Of course they have more titles in the pipeline.

All these companies that released their games on the Wii VC will more than likely release all the same games on the Wii U VC.

I just wish they'd release them now rather than trickling them on one or two titles at a time over the next few years.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@MeddlingIdiot mine broke (the charge connector fell inside the controller), took it back and got a second pro controller instead. AT least the SNES one has a 12 month warranty, but make sure you keep your proof of purchase.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

I'm happy Capcom is getting right to it even I think all the 500 games from the old Wii should have been instantly there on the Eshop day-one but whatever.

If we could just get SEGA on board as well that would be really awesome to and they bring over titls like the Sonic Adventures games or the first Virtual Fighters etc. etc. etc.