Weirdness: Try to Run as Fast as Sonic, For Real, in Sonic Athletics

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Run fatty, run

We have enough self awareness here at Nintendo Life Towers to know that, while some members of our team are athletic and healthy examples to us all, a few of us share an unfortunate body-shape resemblance to Mario. When your main hobby revolves around exercising thumbs more than legs and arms, carrying a few extra pounds is a hazard.

Of course there's Wii Fit, which is great for improving balance, strength and telling us we're technically obese, but may not provide as heavy a cardio workout as we'd like. Thankfully a trip to Tokyo could help us lose weight while playing as one of gaming's most iconic heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog — Sonic Athletics is coming to a three-story amusement arcade in Japan's capital, the rather aptly named Joypolis.

Sonic Athletics has eight treadmills lined up alongside each other, and players compete over three events — the 100 meter dash, long jump, and 110 meter hurdles. All of those have running-as-fast-as-possible in common, but there'll apparently be a button to push to make your hero jump when required. It looks like each treadmill and screen will have its own character, so we imagine there'll be queues for Sonic, while others such as Amy may not enjoy quite the same level of demand.

If our experiences of arcades and similar environments — like expos — are anything to go by, what they don't need are more people crammed in while profusely sweating. Still, we have little doubt that this will be a popular attraction at Joypolis.

[via siliconera.com]

placidcasual

placidcasual said:

Cool idea, now if only one of the cabs was a Big the Cat one where you could walk along leisurely occasionally stopping to enjoy some basic fishing then I'd be interested... Don't hold much truck with this running malarky ;)

SuperKMx

SuperKMx said:

I really want a go at this. I imagine I would die long before I got to the long jump pit, but I'd least I'd die doing something that I loved. :)

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

Would like it of you somehow connect to an existing treadmill and run on a Wii U. That seems a little more probable and lucrative.

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

"we imagine there'll be queues for Sonic, while others such as Amy may not enjoy quite the same level of demand."
Well, I would go for Tails or Metal Sonic!!!!

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I don't think the Silver treadmill will be very popular. No matter how hard they try to sell him, its no use...

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

"Everybody's Super-Sonic Racing . . ." yea, I'll just thy to leave with some shred of dignity.

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

Hahaha, weird. Probably a lot of kids will go here, majority being the ones who don't really need exercise.

TimLatshawAdmin

TimLatshaw said:

The thing that scares me is how SEGA seemed to come up with their urinal games before this idea.

TheRavingTimes

TheRavingTimes said:

Does Sega realize that most hardcore video game fans can't even run a mile without stopping to catch a breath. Though I do enjoy playing tennis and going to the gym to build some muscle tone, I fail to see who could possibly find something like this to be popular among many individuals.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I don't really see how this could work unless each individual treadmill can change speed. I can do these events in real life, and I feel as though the track field would be a better place to do this sort of thing... The track field is free BTW. I'm guessing there's a fee for this.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

@TheRavingTimes It's just an arcade game in a Japanese amusement park - the target audience isn't hardcore gamers, just random people going to an amusement park that would like to try out the game.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

For the first time in Sonic's recent history, boost button makes the game harder.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Saw this on Sonic Stadium a few days ago. Looks pretty cool. Also, I love that "Run fatty, run" tagline! XD