WB Montreal Looking To "Add Value" To Batman: Arkham Origins

Posted by Andy Green

Rocksteady offering support to the studio

Last week Batman: Arkham Origins was announced for Wii U and other platforms. It's being developed by WB Montreal instead of Rocksteady and is set a few years before Batman: Arkham Asylum, allowing you to take control of a younger caped crusader as he bumps into some of his most recognisable foes for the first time.

In a development diary on Game Informer, some of the most influential members of the team at WB Montreal gave a little insight into how the studio went about creating the third game in the Arkham series. Creative director Eric Holmes explained how the new game has to add something new to the series:

The challenge for us, coming in after Rocksteady, is to do something that hasn’t been done and do something that isn’t a retread and isn’t a copy-paste of their game. It has to add value, it has to be new. To me, the key to that prequel is that invigoration that it adds to things.

There are so many opportunities, so many options of things to add to the game, especially with an open world environment, it's really a question of choosing the right things to have added and the right characters to bring in.

We're aiming to add carefully targeted items that don't break what works and add value to what's there... There'll be new characters from the Batman universe but all those guys are carefully targeted to bring something new.

WB Montreal hasn't been left to fend for itself though, as Rocksteady has made itself available for any inquiries it might have while creating one of the most anticipated games of 2013. According to senior producer Ben Mattes the studio has contacted the UK-based developer about all kinds of issues including how Batman's cape works.

We are very aware we are standing on the shoulders of giants. We are playing in the space of some of the most critically-acclaimed games of all time and we’ve greatly benefited from that.

The studio did the development work for Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition, allowing it to familiarise with the series and prepare for this new, much more ambitious task.

Martin Carrier, head of WB Montreal, said being offered the franchise was "pretty humbling" and that the developer wants to give the game its own signature.

Are you looking forward to Batman: Arkham Origins? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via gameinformer.com]

NintendoPro64

NintendoPro64 said:

Hello Everyone! I've been hanging around this site since the Wii U launch, and I got to say, you're quite an interesting community! So much so, that I had to join. I am a passionate gamer who's been gaming since N64 and I am as big a Nintendo fan as it gets. Pleasure to meet you all!

iroxursox

iroxursox said:

@NintendoPro64 this is probably the nicest gaming community out there. my whole entire time i have been on here i have seen only very minor fire fights. the exact opissite of other sights.

NintendoPro64

NintendoPro64 said:

@xmasursox
Some comments I see peeve me off, and there are squabbles here and there. But overall, the people here are sensible and passionate and this site is MILES better than WiiUdaily! XD

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

Since they have Rocksteady's support I am more hyped up for this game. I still need to play Batman Arkham City though.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I'm more interested in the handheld game (Blackgate, ain't it?) but this one is one to follow too.

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

after playing arkim city i'm really hyped up for this game... and i personally liked the little touches the gamepad did for the game vs the other versions..
thus i can't wait!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

This. It is very encouraging to hear this from the devs. Hopefully new blood will accomplish new, interesting things. Best of luck.

@NintendoPro64: welcome to the community.

timp29

timp29 said:

I'll jump on the bandwagon of love. Welcome @NintendoPro64.

Looks like these guys have identified the biggest issue they face... making a clone of the other Batman games. I think they would be better off getting the game out of Arkham... Maybe following the Batman Begins story and having a combat system that you develop through the game.

WildMan

WildMan said:

Can't wait for this game! Bit concerning that Rocksteady isn't developing it, but I have faith in WB Montreal!

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@FineLerv

A friend of mine said the same thing, I really hope they don't go that route. Developers and especially publishers need to learn that not every game needs multiplayer.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

@NintendoPro64 welcome to the site and have fun

on topic it's great that rocksteady are willing to offer help to make the game but i do hope they don't change too much

also it's a shame that Arkham Asylum can't be ported over to the WiiU as well i would love to have them all on the WiiU

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

@Majin-Naruto No. Christopher Corey Smith was the voice of The Joker in Lego Batman 2, and Richard Epcar (I think) is the voice of The Joker for Injustice.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

@Majin-Naruto Yeah, I agree :) There's no need for people to worry too much about Mark Hamill not voicing The Joker anymore...he was great at it, but the other guys have done a fantastic job. I doubt many people will even notice the difference so long as the script for the game is good.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

This is an easy day 1 purchase for me. The first two are among my favorite games ever. Plus, the more I hear able the story in Injustice, the less excited I get.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

I'm not sure why a lot of people are so worried about this - It's clear that Rocksteady is still involved to an extent and wouldn't let the series get wrecked. Personally, I'm extremely excited.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@Captain_Balko Rocksteady are giving support, and considering how important Batman franchise is to WB they are hardly going to give the franchise to a dev that will 'F' it up.

I for one am not worried, and really don't think anyone else should be.

Znerd

Znerd said:

I Love Batman but since these guys are working on this how about Rocksteady work on doing something really hard making a good superman Game cause i think they could do it come on Rocksteady Give Me The Man of Steel NOT SUCKING ON A GAME LIKE IN 64

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

Now that we know the new TMNT game is a download title, I have high hopes that Rocksteady is making a JLA or SUPERMAN game.

ompgsag

ompgsag said:

Unless they revamp the enemy AI and add some actual challenge to the game unlike the earlier installments, I'm not interested. The combat could use more depth as well.