WayForward and Ubisoft Releasing The Smurfs 2 on Wii U, Wii and DS

Posted by Andy Green

Hopefully it won't make us feel blue

The Smurfs are making a comeback this Summer with the release of the aptly named The Smurfs 2 in cinemas across the world and Sony Pictures has decided to release a platforming game alongside it.

Now, before you throw your arms up in despair, it might not actually be that bad as it's being developed by Ubisoft and WayForward Technologies, both of which have a pretty good track record when it comes to platformers.

It appears as though the game will largely follow the storyline of the movie, allowing you to roam around the Smurf's homely village before you jet off to Paris and New York. However, there will be some segments of it that won't be from the movie, including the Arctic Tundra and the Lava Jungle, so if you leave the cinema desperate for more Smurf action you can get a little bit extra by picking this up.

The Smurfs 2 will feature a multiplayer mode, which allows four players to play along with each other cooperatively - although no doubt there'll be plenty of players wanting to hinder one another. If you pick up the Wii U version, you'll be able to play with five people at once, with the fifth player taking on the role of Clockwork Smurf using the GamePad. As you progress you'll unlock nine different Smurfs and each one of them has their own unique ability.

There will be 30 levels for you to plough through in six different worlds, so there could be some decent value in this.

The Smurfs 2 will be available on Wii U and Wii, as well as PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. An interactive storytelling book and collection of mini-games will also be available for the DS.

WayForward Technologies is the studio behind Mighty Switch Force and worked with Capcom on the upcoming DuckTales: Remastered. This isn't the first movie tie-in it has developed - it made Hotel Transylvania on the 3DS, which was released last year.

Are you looking forward to this one? Do you think Ubisoft and WayForward can pull it off? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

evanescent_hero

evanescent_hero said:

Without reading the article, the only thing I can say is no.

EDIT: Having read it, it might not be awful. Nevertheless, I say no to the Smurfs on principle.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

The only game I would have been interested in was the DS game, until they said it was just some crappy mini games and an interactive story book? Wtf?

Pod

Pod said:

I could handle a Smurfs game from WayForward.

What I CAN'T handle is the downright freaky look the little bluelings have in the movies.

They creep my right the heck out. Everything is wrong about it, and having the games look like the films means there's no way I'd ever play this.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Not liking the graphic style, but since wayforward and ubisoft is handling this... let's see how this goes.

Mickey

Mickey said:

See, here's the thing about Smurfs: I usually think "nyah that movie is gonna stink." But THE ONE TIME I'M LIKE "Hey, a smurfs movie? I think it'll be great." THE ONE TIME I ASSUME THE MOVIE IS GONNA BE GOOD IT HAD TO BE THE SMURFS! Wait, wayforward? I think I'll give this a try! Dare I say it, I think it'll be great.

HaNks

HaNks said:

the smurfs game on the SNES was rock! this could be good if its anything like that game. and wayforward nailing the 2d style games.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

Wait, they're 3 red apples tall? dude that's like, huge. I always thought they were smaller.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

This kind of games are awful but it is done by Wayforward...
i don´t know what to think now. is it awful or is it a good game?

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

Guys, Wayfoward is completely capable of making bad games. Remember Hotel Transylvania?

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

No licensed videogame coming to that many consoles is ever that good.
Wayforward has had some bad games. There is a group of people who dislike Double Dragon Neon, and Adventure Time: Hey Ice King Why'd You Steal Our Garbage.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

I'm not sure about this... I mean, we all gotta eat, and this is the sort of family-feeding title that helps devs like WayForward ride through a bad patch until they can put out something truly awesome for us, the more savvy gaming consumer. i might be a bit hopeful, but i'm afraid i won't be holding my breath regarding any movie tie-in game no matter who's behind it, haha :3

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

The video game industry must be in really desperate times to put the smurf's on the game system's. :(

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

Good thing this is coming to the PS3 and Xbox because that would be embarrasing if it was a Nintendo exclusive, but otherwise what I think about the game: T_T

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

The Smurf cartoon was awesome when I was a child, but I'll leave it at that as to not hurt anyone's feelings. WayForward is usually solid though.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

What am I supposed to think of this, a movie that i'm probably not gonna like (I've seen the first one, and I didn't like it, I DIDN'T LIKE IT) but it's being developed by WayForward and Ubisoft.............well, I guess i'm gonna wait for reviews.

Ras

Ras said:

If you duck, Smurfette loses her dress--but only if you play it on your Coleco.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

I'd rather see Smurfs ColecoVision HD remake. Bring back my childhood, not ruin it with these abysmal 80's reboots. I understand having a game ready for a movie's release, but you don't have to follow it completely. That's one of the things that ruined Amazing Spiderman for me (true it was intended as a sequel game), but they copied everything else from Arkham, so why not go even further with using more Spidey AAA list of villains. The villains in the game I NEVER ONCE got excited for when I knew I was about to face them. Yeah, I know, going a bit off topic, but gotta rant while it's on my mind :P

Henmii

Henmii said:

Yuck! Wayforward working on utter rubbish! A waste of potential, if you ask me!

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

WayForward or not, I'm skipping this one. Those little blue runts are irritating and not much else.

Nothing against WayForward themselves of course, they might not be around today if they weren't willing to slap together the occasional licensed throwaway title. Heck, the fact that some of those licensed games are actually worth playing just makes WayForward more impressive to me.

Kirk

Kirk said:

God this looks like one of those totally generic, by the numbers, movie tie-in platformers that we got in truckloads back in the 8bit and 16bit days.

I thought the industry had grown beyond that kind of cheap, totally unimaginative, cash-in crap.

I'm sure the casual mums and dads will buy enough copies to justify it's existence to everyone that was involved in making this happen however :(

What a way to sell out, WayForward.

"WayForward" my A*s!

tanasten

tanasten said:

It's Wayforward. Will be not that bad after all. Of course, the license is not for me but hey, we're talking about Nintendo platforms and this suits with the family appeal of the brand.

At least, I'm happy to see Wayforward with so many contracted projects. The deserve it :)

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Sorry, but I'm not buying any game related to Smurfs no matter who it's made or published by. :P

JFug

JFug said:

@Kirk No it's just that these days, you see FPS cash-ins (see Walking Dead: Survival Instinct) not platformer cash-ins. The amount hasn't changed, just the format.

rwq

rwq said:

@Pod Hear hear! My kids love the classic smurf cartoons, but these critters look like they live in Silent Hill, can't let them play this or see the new movies.