Video: Nintendo UK Unleashes a Series of Fire Emblem: Awakening Tasters

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's getting closer, Europe

Although lucky gamers in North America have now been enjoying Fire Emblem: Awakening on 3DS since the start of February — Japanese gamers have been playing since last year — those of us in Europe are still waiting. It arrives in the region on 19th April, which still seems like a fair old wait considering just how much praise this game has received.

Last week's demo has helped to ease suffering a little, but ahead of its regional arrival Nintendo UK has uploaded some fresh videos; some of which are tweaked versions of North American equivalents. Some of them, particularly the 3rd and 5th videos below, have some very useful hints and tips for players.

If you have a spare 10 minutes, these are a good way to pass that time.

Teaser 1 - Gameplay & CG

Teaser 2 - CG footage

Tutorial 1 - Building Your Army

Tutorial 2 - Character Class demonstration

Tutorial 3 - Character and Weapon Progression

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Kind of odd that an older game hasn't made it to EU yet, but a new game like LMDM already has. I'm guessing there's a ton of text they have to translate?

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Can you replay story missions in this game or do you have to play back through in order to replay them?

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I've broken a habit I've had for over 3 years now (not buying games at full price) to order this one. I really hope it sells well, but even as a pretty hardcore gamer I knew nothing of the series until this 3DS version. Nintendo need to push it with advertising. Maybe not TV advertising as its not one for the casuals, but they need to advertise it to gamers that are not already 3DS owners. Ads on websites and YouTube, that sort of thing.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Can't wait! And remember, on April 19th, you will also be getting my free "Fire Emblem: War Memories" 30 track orchestral cover LP for free! =)

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

@Peach64 Was actually discussing with a friend today about FE as a series and how it should be advertised in order to open up this amazing series to those who are in the dark.

@Shiryu "Fire Emblem: War Memories" 30 track orchestral cover LP for free!

Did you mention this in the forums before? Also what's an LP?

Holy crap, all of this sounds so awesome. FE: Awakening is just 17 days away!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Big-Daddy That stinks...Not being able to replay any mission I want any time I want is a BIG turn off for me. Enough to make me not want it. Come on, developers why do you do this? If it's because of the perma-death thing, just make it so those characters come back on previous missions, but not on later missions.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

Can't wait for this. I've got a 11 hour flight coming up and I hope this will help me pass the time!

shinokami

shinokami said:

@Five-seveN Story based you can not, but think of this game like Disgaea: There is always someone to fight and that someone can actually kick your ass if you get careless, not to mention the street pass functionality

DePapier

DePapier said:

Fire Emblem is not what it used to be: HOW COME I STILL CAN'T FINISH THAT DEMO IN EXPERT MODE!!!!!!!!!

(At least I did the first mission...)

Doma

Doma said:

@Five-seveN Every FE i’ve played has allowed you to save via 3 or more slots, you can easily revert back to a previous chapter/mission if you wanted. Stop looking for dumb excuses to try and rip on the game, man... if it doesn't interest you, just move on.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Doma Good grief I wasn't looking for dumb excuses to rip on the game I was somewhat interested in getting it, but your rudeness isn't helping any. Either answer my question or don't say anything at all. Think before you speak.

Doma

Doma said:

Really? because i'm sure i've seen you complain about other factors before, in a similar way. The voices for one iirc.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

True, but that can be undone so I've heard. I tried the demo of Fire Emblem a few more times and warmed up to it (pun intended) mainly because I do like strategy and I like the attack sequences and 3D effect. Seems to have good music too.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I really want to play some of the older games, but they're all so expensive. GBA games on the 3DS Virtual Console and Cube games on the Wii U one would sure be nice...

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

My personal favorite game for the 3ds without a doubt! I would give it a 11/10. Seriously, it's that good to me. :3

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Peach64 I'm guessing you're not an ambassador on 3DS? If you are, you get FE The Sacred Stones, but it's so slow and has so much text that I found it hard to play. I guess that's to be expected from that genre of game though.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

@Five-seveN ... I have to disagree with you about Sacred Stones. To begin with, although there is quite a bit of text, that is to be expected with this genre, and the text itself is well written and wholly worth reading - it really adds to the game. Furthermore, the game is certainly not slow, you're thrown into battle after the first few opening cutscenes. And then you battle... and battle... and battle some more... And the battles have excellent graphics and involve a lot of strategy. If you find the battle animations slow, there is a button that will speed them up. I STRONGLY, STRONGLY suggest you give Sacred Stones another chance. It was the game that made me love the Fire Emblem series.

Mr_Video

Mr_Video said:

This game is reason enough to own a 3DS, I'm glad those in Europe will finally be able to play this amazing game!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Captain_Balko I know it's probably a good game it's just that it feels so slow to get off the ground that I was having a hard time staying interested. I got up to the mission where you meet Colm, but I was not having the most fun. I was planning on trying again though in hopes that it'll get better. However, in these first missions I played, it seemed like I was reading more text than I was playing a game. But again, I'm not saying it isn't a good game. Also, it's not the battle animations that I felt were slow. I felt like I was playing short missions and watching long cutscenes. Don't assume, however, that I'm not going to give it a second chance. Right now though I have a lot of other games to play like LMDM so it could be a while.

moroboshi

moroboshi said:

During the dark years of the SNES and N64 when Europe received horrible slowed down PAL versions of games months, if not years late (if at all) I used to import everything from Japan. Sadly I now own a UK 3DS and so am stuck with these brain dead delays.

Nintendo it seems is only very slightly better than they used to be, and in the age of simultaneous worldwide digital iOS releases, it shows just how out of touch and behind the curve they still are.

NOSE-FERA2

NOSE-FERA2 said:

@Five-seveN Fire emblem: Awakening is a much more streamlined game in comparison to Sacred stones. I found SS very slow, and found extremely hard to get into. (I quit after chapter 3...) However, the pacing in FE:A just feels natural. Every mission feels like an integral part of the story. The characters are very clever and are fun to see interacting with each other. The cutscenes are very pretty. The tutorials are not as annoying to get past as they were in SS. Whereas SS had you do certain commands by force, FE:A prompts you what to do on the touchscreen but never forces you to do any of what it says. If you are a newcomer to the series, the bottom screen is helpful in that it has various icons and stats that display a description of what they mean when you tap on them. Again solving a problem that I felt was present in SS. I've had the game for 2 days now, and honestly haven't regretted my $40 purchase. (fyi, if you download the game instead of a cart purchase; the game takes up a little more than a gigabyte of space...

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

I skipped LM just because I really want this! Loved the demo.
Let's hope in a new Advance Wars!