Time to Celebrate the Two Year 3DS Anniversary, Bring on the Infographic

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Let's play "why isn't x here?"

Last week we celebrated the two year anniversary of the 3DS by finding a picture of a cake based on the handheld. It's been a fascinating journey so far for the portable, enjoying a bumper launch weekend, before tanking to worrying levels, and then rising like a Phoenix — courtesy of excellent games and a price drop — to hit nearly 30 million unit sales worldwide at the close of 2012. It's the undisputed number one in Japan, and performing reasonably well in the West.

Naturally, Nintendo of America decided to celebrate with an infographic, producing the above timeline to chart the handheld's evolution. Trying to squeeze two years of a handheld's history into a small space isn't the easiest of tasks, so naturally there are some omissions to chew over. For example we have the Pearl Pink and Midnight Purple 3DS models, but no mention of Kid Icarus: Uprising, yet room was found for Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance.

Still, it can be fun to debate these things, and it's a nice infographic to gaze at. It also reminds us of some interesting statistics, showing that over eight million units have sold in North America, while there have been a thoroughly reasonable 80 "Digital" games. Check it out and let us know what you think.

[via twitter.com]

ClockworkMario

ClockworkMario said:

Where's Super Mario 3d Land? I mean it IS one of Nintendo's big hitters. Maybe they didn't want to draw attention to the fact that there's so many Mario games.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Oh boy. You just had to mention no Kid Icarus didn't you. Lol here it comes. I'll start. After all the hype and long wait we had I can't believe its not on there. Still to this day the best 3ds game and I've played all the good to great ones this year!!!

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Its kinda strange that Super Mario 3D Land isn't there, being the top selling 3DS title, and the only one that showed 3D gaming can be good.

ToadFan

ToadFan said:

Glad to see DDD! But they could have also fit Kid Icarus on the bottom.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

The 3DS has carved out a nice niche in the gaming world these last 2 years. From Doooooomed! to, well, not doomed, I won't leave the house without mine. The quality software is now more consistent and the eShop is growing stronger weekly. I think we'll be saying the same thing in 2 years about the U.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Brain Training and Kingdom Hearts makes appearances,but no Kid Icarus or Resident Evil Revealtions

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

So, uh - why isn't Animal Crossing here yet?
Yea I'm playing a different 'why isn't x here' game.

nomeacuerdo

nomeacuerdo said:

3D land was the deal for me to get one. Also, the eShop was overlooked. Not to be surprised...

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I would have included the date when the eShop was added to the 3DS. That was a game-changing event right there!

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Why isn't..... errm Virtue's Last Reward here!
I reckon they selected things to spread out the timeline as evenly as possible (doesn't check dates before making this assumption)

Azikira

Azikira said:

Kid Icarus Uprising was one of the best Nintendo games I have had the pleasure to play, and Kingdom Hearts (I am a big fan, so dont start) Dream Drop Distance was such an utter disappointment to me. I guess Nintendo just wanted to add a 3rd party to their fancy little list. :P

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

There were 3 games that made me buy my 3DS: super mario 3D land, kid icarus uprising and luigi's mansion 2. Only one of those is on this infographic... NSMB2 and street fighter iv got in though? They are decent games, but 3D Land and Uprising are lightyears better. I understand why SF4 was included though... Its nintendo trying to show that launch wasnt entirely devoid of decent software (just mostly).

I love the 3DS. Its already my favorite portable of all time and its just now turning 2. It has a better software library now than any previous portable's entire lineup in my opinion... And with more great stuff on the way in games like Animal Crossing New Leaf, Pokemon X and Y, Monster Hunter 4, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Fantasy Life, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, and more... I think 3DS will stay strong for years to come. I hope the Wii U can have a similiar turnaround... I'm just upset that Nintendo didnt learn from the mistakes they made on 3DS like they claimed they did.

NintendoCat14

NintendoCat14 said:

No Kid Icarus: Uprising or Mario 3D Land? No! Let's put the largely inferior New Super Mario Bros 3D and Kingdom Hearts 3D there! Come on...

SarcasticWisdom

SarcasticWisdom said:

NSMB2 is on the infographic because it was the first downloadable title on the 3DS. Kingdom Hearts is on this to show 3rd Party support :P. Street fighter was added to show, hey the launch wasn't a complete fail. No but seriously, why isnt 3D Land here? (IMO Kid Icarus wasn't that great).

Sun

Sun said:

It's a sad history to be honest: Ocarina of Time is a remake (of one of the best games ever created, I agree), Super Street Fighter IV 3D is a (great) port, Mario Kart 7 was so rushed, Super Mario 3D Land is quite empty and straightforward, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is rubbish (same as 90% of the eShop), Kingdom Hearts has camera issues, Kid Icarus is difficult to control and is not compatible with Circle Pad Pro (only for inverted controls)... And yes two years later we get some gems: Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 2. And you Nintendo LIife forgot what might be the best 3DS new game: Resident Evil Revelations (exclusively for this console until this Summer).

And yes I like Nintendo and the Nintendo 3DS (I swapped the original one for an XL), I'm just being honest.

RR529

RR529 said:

Glad to see KH:DDD on there. It's the best title on 3DS, and is the best entry in the series outside of the two main entries (IMO, of course).

Also, the reason it's probably on there, is because there wasn't much else released during that summer, and they needed something to fill that spot (the only other games of note from that time period were Heroes of Ruin & Theatrhythm, and KH probably outsold both those titles).

ZeroxGT

ZeroxGT said:

IMO, the 3DS is doing great so far... some titles seemed rushed a bit (hi MK7) but overall it didnt make me NOT buy the game. Even on the pic.. so many games should have been added to that list..