THQ Raises Nearly $7 million Auctioning Off Remaining IPs

Posted by Andy Green

Has Vigil Games found a home?

Back in January THQ sold off the majority of its assets resulting in most of its IPs being given new homes. Studios such as Volition, the developer behind the Saints Row franchise, were quickly snapped up, however, some failed to secure a deal such as Vigil Games, the team behind the Darksiders series.

The remaining IPs have now been bid on at another auction and THQ managed to obtain 17 different bids, with an estimated total of $6 to $7 million.

Bids were due on 15th April, and the offers will be presented to the court by the end of May. There are currently no details on which properties were picked up in the auction but naturally we're hoping as many are saved as possible.

The main franchises that were up for grabs were Darksiders, Red Faction, Homeworld and MX. Also on offer was Big Beach Sports, Destroy All Humans! and Summoner.

It appears Homeworld has found a bidder as TeamPixel has refunded the money given to it through a Kickstarter campaign as it was outbid by another party.

There have been rumours that Crytek and Platinum Games are both interested in picking up Vigil Games. There's a lot of interest, but time will tell if it has materialised into a solid offer.

Which series are you hoping manage to survive? Let us know in the comments below.

[via gamesindustry.biz]

Faruko

Faruko said:

CRAPbox got Homeworld, there goes another series, good bye Duke Nukem, good bye Aliens, and good bye Homeworld

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

Not Crytek, please! D: I really want Platinum games to make the next Darksiders

NotEnoughGolds

NotEnoughGolds said:

Given that every single person that worked for Vigil Games now works for Crytek, it would be nice if they secured the franchise.

SMW

SMW said:

I hope that Destroy All Humans goes to good hands, that game was pretty cool!

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

I don’t know why everybody on this site is so hung up on the Darksiders franchise and whether or not it finds a new home. I played Darksiders 2 on my Wii U last fall and the game was utter trash. Not only was it one of the most unpolished games that I’ve ever played (I encountered a game-breaking glitch 30 minutes before the final boss, among other glitches and crashes), but the whole design and concept of the game was complete garbage as well in my opinion. Why should a Horseman of the Apocalypse be solving crate-pushing puzzles? I understand it’s a video game, but come on. A Horseman should be killing things, not pushing crates and boulders, pulling levers, or activating pressure plates to open doors. Put the series in the hands of Platinum Games and we might have something worthwhile; if it’s going to be brought back in the same vein as the Vigil versions then they might as well leave the franchise to rot. Now watch how fast people jump all over this comment because I bad-mouthed their precious Darksiders 2.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Apparently Darksiders was bought by Nordic games, along with Red Faction, MX vs ATV, Destroy all Humans, Summoner, licensed games, and more that IGN didn't list for just under $5 million.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

If Crytek get Vigil/ Darksiders you wont see darksiders 3 on WiiU.
For WiiU support probably best thing to hope for is Platinum get Vigil/Darksiders along with a couple of others hopefully.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Honestly the only THQ franchises I cared about was the WWE IP and the Darksiders. With 2K games getting WWE I am now just waiting for Darksiders.

CHIVOX

CHIVOX said:

Actually Vigil games no longer exist, they were shut down after they failed to find a buyer in the first bid. Crytek got the remaining group and then formed Crytek USA who are the ones bidding for the Darksiders IP.

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

@Tasuki

Wow...you really think what THQ was doing with the WWE license was worthwhile?? Those games have been crap for several years and I'm glad 2K got the licence. They are actually good at making sports games, so I doubt very much that their efforts will prove to be worse than the garbage THQ peddled.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@AbeVigoda: I enjoyed the last few years of the WWE games especially the last one and really thats all that matters to me. Besides you do know that a majority of the people who worked on the WWE games for THQ are now at 2K so I am assuming they wont be that different.

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

Darksiders had better have been sold! We've still gotta cover the stories of Fury and Strife!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Personally I enjoyed the 1st Big Beach Sports, sure it was more than a bit unpolished but it was still fun. So was the 2nd one, just not as fun as the 1st I thought. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get bought though.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

Hopefully Vigil Games gets a good home. I'm interested in seeing if their Darksiders franchise benefits or gets detracted with its new home.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Vigil is dead and buried, they were closed after the first auction. Nordic Games has bought Darksiders.

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

It's very disappointing what happened to THQ. I hope that all those effected can quickly fine work elsewhere. Also I hope all these franchises find new homes.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Darksiders must continue. As for the WWE IP I am glad 2k sports got it. WWE12 on my ps3 was bad and full of glitches that I never got 13. It's really sad when DOR from the gamecube is so much better than the recent crap.

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

I cannot understand why cash-rich Nintendo isn't bidding for some of the big name franchises - Darksiders sequels as WiiU exclusives (and 3DS) would bring much-needed console sales and may prevent more developers from ignoring the system.