There Sure Are A Lot Of Nintendo References In PSN Title Guacamelee

Posted by Damien McFerran

Sony title is bursting with love for Ninty

Given the remit of this site, we try to avoid featuring games which are exclusive to rival consoles, but in the case of PlayStation Network release Guacamelee!, we're happy to make an exception.

This Metroidvania-style action platformer is currently avaialble for the PS3 and PS Vita, and comes absolutely packed with references to other video games — including those of Nintendo.

GoNintendo's Kevin Cassidy was quick on the draw with his digital camera and snapped the images you see here, as well as some others which he has kindly uploaded to his Flickr account.

Cassidy said:

I had heard that it was chock-full of game references, but I didn't know just how many Nintendo-specific nods there were. I grabbed all of these within the first hour and a half alone! Keep in mind, I only took pics of the Nintendo-specific moments. There were many other references to third party games.

While it's a shame that this amazing-looking game is unlikely to see release on a Nintendo console, we think it's brilliant that modern game designers are showing their love and appreciation for the Kyoto-based company by including all of these cool references.

If you'd like to know more about the game, check out the review of Guacamelee! over on our sister site Push Square.

[via flickr.com, gonintendo.com]

suzzopher

suzzopher said:

It's also a classic Nintendo style game to play. One of my favourites of the year easily.

xwolf7

xwolf7 said:

Why this game is full of Nintendo franchises references and it won't come to the Wii U, that's totally unfair!!

Rafie

Rafie said:

Even on of the trophies resembles a guy from Zelda 2. It's crazy! There are definitely a bunch of nods to Nintendo and others. See guys/gals...Sony doesn't hate Nintendo! :-D

hydeks

hydeks said:

yay, make a game on PSN with Nintendo references and love, and don't have it on a Nintendo platform, that makes LOTS of sense -_-

Savino

Savino said:

@hydeks I am trying to understand that....

The game have some thirdie references, but nintendo games are almost 80% of the references!!
I really dont get why this isnt on WiiU/3DS nor why sony let this pass!!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'm hearing a lot of love for this game. And it makes perfect sense to me. The game is full of classic game references. There's probably more people who played these games on the NES who have a PS3 now (75 million) than a Wii U (3 million?). My guess is that a combination of good PSN sales and a growth in Wii U owners and they'll look into a port.

LAA

LAA said:

I've been playing this on my Vita and yeah, I LOVE this game for references alone, there's even a strong bad reference I noticed too, and a familiar retro plumber on the wall...
Seems I'm near in the end of it, so not that long, but not really short either, its just right.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

This is "Scott Pilgrim vs The World" video game situation all over again...-_- 'having all these nintendo references yet it wont be on an nintendo console...' i really dont know what to make of that except to just do this: -_____-

jorgem696

jorgem696 said:

It's kind of nice for what they'eve done I would'be never seen this coming from Sony but that's still cool

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

People are saying that it's ridiculous that it's not being released on Nintendo platforms. The fact that it's full of Nintendo references and ISN'T on a Nintendo console is what makes these references special in my eyes. True respect for Nintendo right there.

jorgem696

jorgem696 said:

@manu0 dont get it yet wait for some nore games like killzone is a great game for the ps3 and that game is coming out for the vita so wait a few more months

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

I'm going to download this tonight, just charged my debit card.
Oh and Runner 2 on my Wii U, of course XD

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

Attention people in comments: Sony didn't make this, an indie dev Drinkbox studios did. The reason why it's on PSN, is because Sony's being indie-friendly.

banacheck

banacheck said:

Oh no another FPS i keep on reading about on here, the Wii U does not need this anyway.

WesCash

WesCash said:

I wish this game would come to a Nintendo system or PC. It looks like a ton of fun.

mookysam

mookysam said:

I hadn't heard of this til now but shall certainly check it out. It looks awesome!

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

There is a ton of references and homages! I can't believe this game isn't on the eShop... It makes me want to play Nintendo games just playing it. I am liking it a lot so far.

Clockwerk

Clockwerk said:

You guys have to realize this is an Indie title and Sony recently decided to provide support for Indie developers. So unless Nintendo were to do the same, we could see it on a Nintendo Console, but it's highly unlikely

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@Clockwerk
What do you mean? Nintendo has been open for indies since WiiWare. They probably just wanted to reach a bigger audience, it has nothing to do with business operation.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I should actually say, idie development has always been around, but they're making it easier for it to happen. I'm pretty sure an indie can show up on any console. It just depends on how accessible it is for the indie.

TotalHenshin

TotalHenshin said:

1) Nintendo, according to indie devs, has been very indie friendly.
2) This is from DrinkBox Studios, who, while indie, have only made 3 games so far. All of them for Sony.
3) People who say this isn't "fair", need to actually look up the definition of the term. Because the references are oblique parodies, they're probably covered legal-wise. Either get a PS3 or Vita (don't get a Vita), or just get over not having every game you want. Hopefully they'll bring this to other systems, but they seem to LIKE Sony (which doesn't translate into "They hate Nintendo" for the record).

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

their previous game, a PS Vita exclusive and launch title, is great.
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack.
It seems like they like Sony's platforms, the PSV at least, must deal with it

devilwaffle

devilwaffle said:

Where can I get tickets to see La Mascara VS Mega Hombre? because that is something I would pay to see!

Syntax

Syntax said:

@devilwaffle Unless you know the Song of time, that match will be the last event you will ever see once La Mascara use his signature move "La Luna". Well enjoy the crushingly awesome match! :-D

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

i know i wouldnt get this game even if it did make it to wii u... but that is kinda stupid to have ninty characters and not have it for those ninty systems o.O